Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 08:32 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Getting off the subject, just for kicks, here are some of the stories the NFL will talk about for years if one of these teams win Super Bowl XLI...
And the winner is......

Quote:
If Indy wins...
"Peyton finally gets a ring after 9 years of being owned by the Patiots and just plain bad luck. Now, the Manning family waits on Eli"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 05:54 PM

41 posts, read 118,851 times
I dont think anyone posted Wichita KS, I think that would be a great spot. Maybe Little Rock AR, Omaha NE, and Des Moines Iowa.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 17,041 times
i think omaha or wichita kansas should have a team

Old 02-07-2007, 05:04 PM

184 posts, read 902,146 times
Tolketna, Alaska
Boise, Idaho
Bismarck, North Dakota

....just kiddin'.

places that won't have NFL teams for at least another 15-20 years, but some people here seems to think so:

Salt Lake City, UT (no sports on Sundays, or Monday nights)
Omaha, NE (Huskers are big enough business)
Albuquerque, NM (no cash nor infrastructure)

Old 02-20-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowThruTheMoon View Post

Salt Lake City, UT (no sports on Sundays, or Monday nights)
Omaha, NE (Huskers are big enough business)
Albuquerque, NM (no cash nor infrastructure)
The only one of those cities that I see having a team is Omaha. SLC is Bronco country and I just don't think the NFL or the Arizona Cardinals will allow a team in New Mexico. Eventhough I'm seeing alot of support for ABQ to gain a football team.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:22 PM
jds

162 posts, read 456,790 times
ok... LA dont need a team they couldnt keep the two they had!!!
Texas needs no more teams have to many!
COlombus has Ohio St its a pro team in the NCAA!
Flordia too much sports in one state to follow!!!!!!!
I think the real place so far would be Louisville gr8 city with alot to do there!!!!!!

The place i think that needs a team also would be Omaha Nebraska They have the college world series there every Yr and is a huge success i cant see why NFl or NBA couldnt make it there creigten sells out every game damn near and wit the new quest center NBA has a new building to USE LETS GET SOME PRO TEAMS IN THE MIDWEST I LIVE IN IOWA and i dont understand how des monies dont have a team i live in CEdar rapids and i got to every Iowa hawkeye game and every home game for the last 8 yrs has been sold out... 70,000 seats i no we could sell out a pro stadium i wish i new who to contact to get this looked at the NFL is wack and needs to put teams into areas it can bring up and help out GReen bay for instance is a small city and is one of the most followed franchises ever!!!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:38 AM

Ok, where's everyone getting this "Texas has too many teams" idea from? We have over 6 major cities, we're the 2nd most populated state in the country, and we only have two teams. Just a few years ago, we only had one.
L.A. dosen't need another team because they had two (three if you count the former L.A. Chargers in the AFL) and they didn't stay. What does that tell you?

And I agree, Florida (and California) doesn't need any more major sports teams.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:04 AM

184 posts, read 902,146 times
Quote:
The only one of those cities that I see having a team is Omaha. SLC is Bronco country and I just don't think the NFL or the Arizona Cardinals will allow a team in New Mexico. Eventhough I'm seeing alot of support for ABQ to gain a football team.
"When full, Memorial Stadium holds more people than any Nebraska city except Omaha and Lincoln, a fact that is often used point out Nebraska's devotion to Husker football." - Wikipedia
Omaha is slowly turning into a fantastic city, many projects are on the go... but NFL is not needed there at all, and it's not in the wider interest of the city/state to put Husker football in the shadow of a professional team.

SLC isn't Bronco country... it's Utes' and Cougar's "country" if anything, but the market is barely enough to support a crappy NBA team and a forced MLS team (who almost left a couple of weeks ago btw).

Old 02-21-2007, 10:59 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
I'm just curious, but if your interested, would you give me a list of cities that should have NFL teams in order from most deserving to least? Here's mine:

1. San Antonio
2. L.A.
3. Las Vegas
4. (the only non-American city that actually deserves one) Toronto
5. Columbus, OH
6. Austin
7. Louisville,KY
8. Orlando, FL
9. Portland, OR
10. Oklahoma City
11. any other American towns without one.
What do you think?
San Antonio proved it could support a team when it hosted the Saints... but as others have said, I don't think the Texans or Cowboys would stand for it.

I'd be curious to hear what LA-area people feel about football returning. It seems like they survived without it yet there's always some report out about possible stadium renovations and sites.

Vegas will get a pro team; you just won't be able to bet on the games.

Toronto would be interesting though the overlapping CFL Argonauts schedule might complicate things. Why not throw Calgary in that mix too?

Columbus would be even more insane on fall weekends if the NFL came. And that's assuming the Browns and Bengals would let that slide. Same deal with Austin and the other TX teams.

With all due respect to Louisville, I feel it's too small a market for the NFL.

Tampa's too close for Orlando to work, IMO.

Portland! Most definitely.

If OKC can host the NO Hornets, maybe they could do the same for an NFL team.

Of course, all the above is assuming that a team is being relocated. I agree that the NFL has enough if even too many teams.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 8,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowThruTheMoon View Post
"When full, Memorial Stadium holds more people than any Nebraska city except Omaha and Lincoln, a fact that is often used point out Nebraska's devotion to Husker football." - Wikipedia
Omaha is slowly turning into a fantastic city, many projects are on the go... but NFL is not needed there at all, and it's not in the wider interest of the city/state to put Husker football in the shadow of a professional team.

SLC isn't Bronco country... it's Utes' and Cougar's "country" if anything, but the market is barely enough to support a crappy NBA team and a forced MLS team (who almost left a couple of weeks ago btw).
I believe an NFL stadium between Omaha and Lincoln would be a sure money maker. The strongest case to be made for Omaha is the Huskers. The stadium has the longest sell out streak in the land. More impressive the closest sellout streak isnt even half of the Huskers. That includes a sub 500 team a couple years ago.

I doubt the city or state would attempt to get a team, however it would attract fans from Nebraska, North and South Dakota, Iowa, Wyoming, etc. If done right, it would prove to be a huge money maker. Plus is would be the only pro sports team in the area, which would give team pride to midwesterners.

I just wish I had a couple hundred million dollars to get it started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football