Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 04:43 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times

Advertisements

Just saying skinsguy's description of Jay Schroeder (big arm, no leadership ability, kind of a jerk who teammates didn't like) sounds exactly like the problems that did in Jeff George.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 04:47 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Not that it matters to Redskins fans, I wonder if Mark Murphy has been back? He is the CEO of the Packers and played for Redskins 1977-1984. He left and never played for another team. Rumor has it, he was black balled because of the player strike. He was the player rep at the time.

In 2011 when there were issues trying to settle with the players, he helped expedite the process with owners because he had been on both sides of the issue. After he was done with football, he went back to Georgetown to get his law degree.
Thanks for the input and nice posts susan. I did hear the same rumors and knowing what Jack Kent Cooke was all about I don't doubt them. It's a good thing for Cooke social media was not around then, fans would have a different opinion of him if they only knew.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:21 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Just saying skinsguy's description of Jay Schroeder (big arm, no leadership ability, kind of a jerk who teammates didn't like) sounds exactly like the problems that did in Jeff George.
I think the difference between the two is that if Schroeder had not gotten hurt in that opening game against the Eagles in '87, he probably would have played much better that year, and I think the Redskins would have still won the Super Bowl. Even with the '87 season playing out like it did, I think Gibbs wanted to hold onto Schroeder, at least, into the next season. He was going to start Williams regardless, but I would bet the thought was that Gibbs knew if Schroeder had been patient and played the role as the good soldier, he would have gotten his starting job back at some point in '88. Schroeder would have had a better career in Washington, probably would have won a Super Bowl or two as well. And then, Rypien could have stayed on the bench and developed a little more before being unleashed.

That's why I say it was such a missed opportunity. I think Joe Gibbs really felt that he had the Redskins set up great for the next several seasons, with Schroeder and Rypien. I think he knew Williams was probably good for just one more season.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:37 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Is it Sunday afternoon yet?! ****. I'm stressin' out, and it's only Wednesday morning LOL

HAIL

Old 01-06-2016, 09:48 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks for the input and nice posts susan. I did hear the same rumors and knowing what Jack Kent Cooke was all about I don't doubt them. It's a good thing for Cooke social media was not around then, fans would have a different opinion of him if they only knew.
Cooke was a perv that constantly married women far younger than himself.. Think I recall some rather racist stories about him as well.. But he was a GREAT owner. He stayed the hell out of meddling in the team for the most part, he picked a coach and stuck with him and gave him time. Not that I'm saying that Norv Turner was a great coach, but do you think he would have made it a year with Daniel Snyder as owner? And I mean a year in the lean 94-98 years.. We know he didn't make it a year with Snyder as owner..

A question for everyone.. The Rashad Ross touchdown on Sunday.. I missed that play and haven't seen it on any replays.. I know it was a 71 yard TD.. But.. What were the details on that? Was it a blown coverage? 5 yard catch and breaking tackles to score? Long bomb?

Old 01-06-2016, 10:26 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Not that it matters to Redskins fans, I wonder if Mark Murphy has been back? He is the CEO of the Packers and played for Redskins 1977-1984. He left and never played for another team. Rumor has it, he was black balled because of the player strike. He was the player rep at the time.

In 2011 when there were issues trying to settle with the players, he helped expedite the process with owners because he had been on both sides of the issue. After he was done with football, he went back to Georgetown to get his law degree.

Yes he has.

The final game at RFK Stadium (1999) featured a halftime ceremony showcasing some of the best Redskin players from the "RFK era." Their names and were announced and then the player himself ran out to frenzied adulation. Started with Bobby Mitchell and ended with Darrell Green.

Mark Murphy was among them and was cheered wildly.

I think you can file that rumor along with the Bermuda Triangle and Elvis still among the living.

Mark Murphy was well-liked as a player here and we are proud of what he has accomplished since then.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Cooke was a perv that constantly married women far younger than himself.. Think I recall some rather racist stories about him as well.. But he was a GREAT owner. He stayed the hell out of meddling in the team for the most part, he picked a coach and stuck with him and gave him time. Not that I'm saying that Norv Turner was a great coach, but do you think he would have made it a year with Daniel Snyder as owner? And I mean a year in the lean 94-98 years.. We know he didn't make it a year with Snyder as owner..

A question for everyone.. The Rashad Ross touchdown on Sunday.. I missed that play and haven't seen it on any replays.. I know it was a 71 yard TD.. But.. What were the details on that? Was it a blown coverage? 5 yard catch and breaking tackles to score? Long bomb?
Blown coverage, long bomb from McCoy to a wide open Rashad Ross. It was a thing of beauty!

Actually, if you listen to Jack Kent Cooke's son, he'll tell you that JKC was about to fire Joe Gibbs in Gibbs' first year when the Redskins went 0-5. At that point, Cooke had said he had seen enough, and wanted to bring George Allen back. But, according to his son, he convinced his father to stick with Gibbs and at least see how the season would play out. The Redskins rebounded in the second half of the season, and then of course, we know the rest of the story. So, I wouldn't say JKC never meddled. In fact, I remember Joe Gibbs' interview during the "American's Game" show about Super Bowl XXVI, Snyder was very unhappy with Gibbs, because it seemed like Joe was not doing what needed to be done to make the team younger. Cooke had compared his team to what Jimmy Johnson was doing in Dallas, saying, "Jimmy down there in Dallas is doing it the right way!" Gibbs looked back on that and laughed, but it just goes to show you that JKC wasn't necessarily completely hands off. He very much wanted to be in the know as to what was going on.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:01 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Blown coverage, long bomb from McCoy to a wide open Rashad Ross. It was a thing of beauty!

Actually, if you listen to Jack Kent Cooke's son, he'll tell you that JKC was about to fire Joe Gibbs in Gibbs' first year when the Redskins went 0-5. At that point, Cooke had said he had seen enough, and wanted to bring George Allen back. But, according to his son, he convinced his father to stick with Gibbs and at least see how the season would play out. The Redskins rebounded in the second half of the season, and then of course, we know the rest of the story. So, I wouldn't say JKC never meddled. In fact, I remember Joe Gibbs' interview during the "American's Game" show about Super Bowl XXVI, Snyder was very unhappy with Gibbs, because it seemed like Joe was not doing what needed to be done to make the team younger. Cooke had compared his team to what Jimmy Johnson was doing in Dallas, saying, "Jimmy down there in Dallas is doing it the right way!" Gibbs looked back on that and laughed, but it just goes to show you that JKC wasn't necessarily completely hands off. He very much wanted to be in the know as to what was going on.
As would any owner, even one named Rooney.

I think what people mean is that JKC would never have picked Jeff George over Brad Johnson. That is meddling.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
As would any owner, even one named Rooney.

I think what people mean is that JKC would never have picked Jeff George over Brad Johnson. That is meddling.
Yeah, that was the great thing about those days. JKC had Bobby Beathard as the GM, and Beathard was a mastermind at picking those mid-round players who turned into Pro Bowlers.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:20 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Yeah, that was the great thing about those days. JKC had Bobby Beathard as the GM, and Beathard was a mastermind at picking those mid-round players who turned into Pro Bowlers.
But he's forever defined as the guy who drafted Ryan Leaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football