Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 06:45 AM

14,327 posts, read 14,625,905 times

Advertisements

On Griffin, do you think if the situation (coaches) with the team was different, he would have had success? Do the 'skins have a guy just for QBs? I still remember him trying to play in the game when he was already injured, made me hurt just watching him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:24 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,421,470 times
No with Griffin it was a gamble from the beginning. There have been so many spread offense college QBs who put up gaudy numbers and then failed in the pros that I was a bit nervous. But he appeared to be the exception. He was supposed to be a good guy, a hard worker, and unlike a lot of those QBs he delivered the ball with a quick, strong arm and threw an absolutely beautiful deep ball. That's why I thought he would be better than Michael Vick etc, once his legs went his arm could carry him.

But alas this is why it was a gamble. Sadly he never developed the instincts of a QB. He would take a 3 step drop when the play called for a 5 step drop, he held it too long, had absolutely the worst pocket presence I have ever seen (his sack totals dwarf those of the other 2 QBs who played behind the same offensive line) and apparently he didn't study hard or work and play well with others.

That, not the coaching, was the issue. In fact he personally saw to it that the only coach that will ever get any production out of his limited skills got fired. That is why there is so much bitterness among many of the fans.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:53 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,472,831 times
I'm on the fence about getting rid of DeSean Jackson, but for most of these, I probably agree with:

Six Players The Washington Redskins Need To Part With

Also, I say yes, the Redskins were snubbed again!

Cousins, Reed Snubbed as Pro Bowl Replacements

I pretty much echo what Dave said about Robert Griffin III. All signs in the early going pointed to him being the real deal, but we quickly found out that wasn't the case.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:46 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I'm on the fence about getting rid of DeSean Jackson, but for most of these, I probably agree with:

Six Players The Washington Redskins Need To Part With

Also, I say yes, the Redskins were snubbed again!

Cousins, Reed Snubbed as Pro Bowl Replacements

I pretty much echo what Dave said about Robert Griffin III. All signs in the early going pointed to him being the real deal, but we quickly found out that wasn't the case.
I disagree with most of the list. Griffin, yes.. No question. Gone.

Garcon vs Jackson.. Now, this goes for all the rest.. I'd prefer to keep both, but I don't want to overpay for either. If I could only keep one. Wow.. That's tough. I was against the Jackson signing, but he's been pretty much a model citizen, so.. I'm past that, I was wrong. As a teammate, I think i'd rather have Garcon.. But you just can't easily replace the explosiveness of Jackson. Very, very tough call on which to keep.

Morris.. He's not dead, but again.. You can't keep, I don't think.. Both Jones and Morris. I think when Morris got the carries, he did better than Jones. But, you're going to have Silas Reed back next year.. So, yeah, I figure Morris goes because his contract demands will be too big.

Andre Roberts.. Yeah.. Gone. No reason I can see to keep him. Promote up Rashad Ross.

Perry Riley and Will Blackmon.. Again, don't overpay for them. Keep if you can, but don't spend alot.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I disagree with most of the list. Griffin, yes.. No question. Gone.

Garcon vs Jackson.. Now, this goes for all the rest.. I'd prefer to keep both, but I don't want to overpay for either. If I could only keep one. Wow.. That's tough. I was against the Jackson signing, but he's been pretty much a model citizen, so.. I'm past that, I was wrong. As a teammate, I think i'd rather have Garcon.. But you just can't easily replace the explosiveness of Jackson. Very, very tough call on which to keep.

Morris.. He's not dead, but again.. You can't keep, I don't think.. Both Jones and Morris. I think when Morris got the carries, he did better than Jones. But, you're going to have Silas Reed back next year.. So, yeah, I figure Morris goes because his contract demands will be too big.

Andre Roberts.. Yeah.. Gone. No reason I can see to keep him. Promote up Rashad Ross.

Perry Riley and Will Blackmon.. Again, don't overpay for them. Keep if you can, but don't spend alot.
It sounds like you actually do agree with most of the list. In the case of Garcon vs Jackson, it would strictly be a question of which one would cost you the most cap hit. Both would save you around $8 million if they're cut. The cap hit would be more by cutting Garcon, so from a strictly economic standpoint, it would make sense to cut Jackson. However, I'd like to keep both.

Morris. Love him, but I think Jones will eventually prove to be a better back than Morris.

Definitely agree with Andre Roberts. I was never impressed by him.

Perry Riley and Will Blackmon? I would love to keep Blackmon, but I think he has possibly earned a good contract - much better than the 'skins would be willing to play. Plus, with Culiver coming back, the 'skins should be OK at corner. As for Perry Riley. He kind of went downhill. I've been more impressed with our rookies.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:31 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
It sounds like you actually do agree with most of the list. In the case of Garcon vs Jackson, it would strictly be a question of which one would cost you the most cap hit. Both would save you around $8 million if they're cut. The cap hit would be more by cutting Garcon, so from a strictly economic standpoint, it would make sense to cut Jackson. However, I'd like to keep both.

Morris. Love him, but I think Jones will eventually prove to be a better back than Morris.

Definitely agree with Andre Roberts. I was never impressed by him.

Perry Riley and Will Blackmon? I would love to keep Blackmon, but I think he has possibly earned a good contract - much better than the 'skins would be willing to play. Plus, with Culiver coming back, the 'skins should be OK at corner. As for Perry Riley. He kind of went downhill. I've been more impressed with our rookies.
I guess it's the part that they NEED to part with these players that I have the problem with.

Griffin and Roberts are the only two I think they NEED to part with.

The others.. Keep if you can get them at a reasonable cost.

Griffin needs a fresh start. I wouldn't resign him for a dollar to be the third string QB. Too much of a distraction, etc, etc.

Roberts.. Again, wouldn't sign him for a buck for different reasons. I think the WR corps are pretty good, and adding another person in the draft or via FA.. Roberts wouldn't be worthwhile to keep. If you got decimated by injuries at that position.. I honestly think he'd still be available late into the season.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:56 AM

They NEED to part ways with Perry Riley for sure. He made a great downfield pick the game after everyone was about to run him out of town and I was happy for him. He also had a pick a game or two later that fell in his lap. Sorry that is not enough to offset several years of below average performance. Our ILB were absolutely horrible before Riley and Robinson were replaced. Keenan will pull a David Amerson and play great for his new team.

Same with Morris, he's just nothing special and Jones has more upside. As for DJax he drives me crazy with his bonehead plays. But we saw what he does to this offense even in games where he doesn't get big plays. Teams are forced to take away his deep patterns which opens up a lot of things for other players. This offense was totally different once he returned. Culliver is no guarantee to return, his suspension gave the team out, so it's possible Blackman returns.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:10 AM

I've got another one: Dashon Goldson. Once again the safety position has killed us and I don't believe D Hall will be anything more than yet another Band Aid. For God's sake find a playmaker at safety in the draft Scott.

From the link:

His cap number is $8 million, the eighth-highest on the team and the sixth-highest among NFL safeties.

For their $8 million the Redskins will get a player who is a stand-up leader and one who sets a great example in the locker room. But they won’t be getting a player who performed very well in 2015. He missed 32 tackles. Pro Football Focus ranked him 60th out of the 60 safeties who played at least 50 percent of their teams’ snaps.

Which Redskin might be a surprise cap casualty in 2016? | CSN Mid-Atlantic

Old 01-27-2016, 06:51 AM

Dashon Goldson has been a locker room leader, though, and he has played well when he wasn't hurt. That is one I would most definitely keep into the 2016 year. We have to remember that it's not just what these guys are like on the field (which is the most important certainly), but how are they in the locker room? I think one thing that has caused the turnaround with this team is filling the locker room with more leaders and guys who know what it's like to win on a consistent basis.

I doubt the Redskins part with Culiver. When healthy, he can easily be our #1 CB. He hasn't been healthy all year, and it's going to be interesting to see how he is recovering from that ACL. Honestly, I hope Scot McCloughan keeps as much of this team in tact as possible, and continues to add pieces through the draft, not through free agency. This franchise has tried to build a winner through free agency for the past 16 or 17 years, and it hasn't proved to be fruitful, while other teams have built their championship teams through the draft. So, I'd say to keep what we can keep, and add younger guys.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Dashon Goldson has been a locker room leader, though, and he has played well when he wasn't hurt. That is one I would most definitely keep into the 2016 year. We have to remember that it's not just what these guys are like on the field (which is the most important certainly), but how are they in the locker room? I think one thing that has caused the turnaround with this team is filling the locker room with more leaders and guys who know what it's like to win on a consistent basis.

I doubt the Redskins part with Culiver. When healthy, he can easily be our #1 CB. He hasn't been healthy all year, and it's going to be interesting to see how he is recovering from that ACL. Honestly, I hope Scot McCloughan keeps as much of this team in tact as possible, and continues to add pieces through the draft, not through free agency. This franchise has tried to build a winner through free agency for the past 16 or 17 years, and it hasn't proved to be fruitful, while other teams have built their championship teams through the draft. So, I'd say to keep what we can keep, and add younger guys.
If good character was all that was needed we'd have a roster with 52 boy scouts and a choir boy. Not saying locker room leaders are not important but he is not the only candidate to fill that roll. To dedicate $8 mill of your cap to the guy who graded out as the worst safety in the entire league is crazy.

For Gods sake find a real difference maker at free safety and keep him there. We've been cobbling together a saftey combo with band aids who have performed well below league average for years now. Let's fix this problem once and for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football