Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 09:09 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,609,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
If good character was all that was needed we'd have a roster with 52 boy scouts and a choir boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 09:14 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times
Quote:
If good character was all that was needed we'd have a roster with 52 boy scouts and a choir boy. Not saying locker room leaders are not important but he is not the only candidate to fill that roll. To dedicate $8 mill of your cap to the guy who graded out as the worst safety in the entire league is crazy.
Nobody ever made that argument, so your response is pretty much invalid.

Quote:
For Gods sake find a real difference maker at free safety and keep him there. We've been cobbling together a saftey combo with band aids who have performed well below league average for years now. Let's fix this problem once and for all.
Who? Tell me who is a difference maker at safety that the Redskins can get for just $8 million. I'm waiting.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:07 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,107,800 times
so i guess the skins are currently talking with Kirk. Let's get it done soon so we'll have him locked up before all the 2016 season stuff begins.

I want to see this Skins defense with everybody healthy and a few draft picks. It was a body bag season for Joe Barry's unit.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
so i guess the skins are currently talking with Kirk. Let's get it done soon so we'll have him locked up before all the 2016 season stuff begins.

I want to see this Skins defense with everybody healthy and a few draft picks. It was a body bag season for Joe Barry's unit.

Exactly! I want to see the original starting unit, together, on the field for the season before I make any judgments and start cutting people.

Kirk will be in Washington next year. Hopefully behind a better, healthier, offensive line. I also hope he has a better running game to help out as well.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:14 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Nobody ever made that argument, so your response is pretty much invalid.

Who? Tell me who is a difference maker at safety that the Redskins can get for just $8 million. I'm waiting.
Whoa there Cowboy calm down.

Who should we get? That SM's job, not mine. You are the one suggesting we retain literally the worst safety in the entire league and with it an $8 million cap hit based in large part on his presence in the locker room. Just doesn't sound very logical to me. The grades are in and at least one source said he was the worst safety in the entire league. I'm pretty sure he was not the only one out of 60 who played through injuries. Even when healthy he failed to be any kind of difference maker. Goldson just isn't any good. That is why Tampa released him after he stunk there too.

I have no doubt SM will end this parade of Band Aids that has been going on since Sean Taylor. I know he'll find the answer, I just hope it's soon.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 01-30-2016 at 04:46 AM..

Old 01-30-2016, 10:55 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Mackenzie Alexander?

He's a CB.. But I think he has the talent to switch over to Safety. But.. anyway.. the answer to your question is.. Someone they pick up in the draft. At their draft position, the Redskins first rounder will get about $8 million.

I'd prefer to see safety being addressed lower in the draft, however. Linemen on both sides of the ball are needed in the early rounds. love to see the first round pick be someone to play on the opposite side of Kerrigan.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:37 AM

I really had hopes for Philip Thomas. Before that the free agent who couldn't stop smoking dope could have been the answer. I don't see Hall as anything but another Band Aid who will be average as a best case.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Mackenzie Alexander?

He's a CB.. But I think he has the talent to switch over to Safety. But.. anyway.. the answer to your question is.. Someone they pick up in the draft. At their draft position, the Redskins first rounder will get about $8 million.

I'd prefer to see safety being addressed lower in the draft, however. Linemen on both sides of the ball are needed in the early rounds. love to see the first round pick be someone to play on the opposite side of Kerrigan.
With Galette and Smith, assuming Galette is signed, I don't see that as big of a need as other spots. They need an interior pass rush, thanks for nothing Jason Hatcher. But to me the biggest need on this team is center. Not saying you use the first pick on one but I really hope they find a good one a little later. They obviously know it's a need. Josh LeRibeus is not an NFL player and they can do beter than Lich.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Whoa there Cowboy calm down.

Who should we get? That SM's job, not mine. You are the one suggesting we retain literally the worst safety in the entire league and with it an $8 million cap hit based in large part on his presence in the locker room. Just doesn't sound very logical to me. The grades are in and at least one source said he was the worst safety in the entire league. I'm pretty sure he was not the only one out of 60 who played through injuries. Even when healthy he failed to be any kind of difference maker. Goldson just isn't any good. That is why Tampa released him after he stunk there too.

I have no doubt SM will end this parade of Band Aids that has been going on since Sean Taylor. I know he'll find the answer, I just hope it's soon.

Typical ***** and moan. Says player is the worst in the league, and when asked who to replace him with, you have no answer. That's exactly what I was expecting. Oh, and using the same grading system, that had Polombus graded out as one of the top right tackles in the league when he was with the Redskins. Yeah, you keep using that grading system as the gospel, and the rest of us will keep laughing at you.

And it's funny you say, "I have no doubt SM will end this parade of Band Aids that has been going on since Sean Taylor. I know he'll find the answer, I just hope it's soon." SM is the one who brought in Dashon Goldson, LOL!!!

Old 02-01-2016, 07:54 AM

I have no idea why you continue to be so nasty and confrontational skinsguy, this was always a good board at avoiding that stuff in the past.

Again my opinion is I don't agree that you bring back a guy at this price based on his presence in the locker room and his lack of production on the field. I should be able to voice this opinion without being attacked or producing a name to replace him because I do not scout for a professional football team. SM does, he's one of the best, and I fully expect him to find that guy some day in the 4th round with some obscure free safety from Appalachia State or whatever. I just hope it is soon.

SM brought in Goldson because he needed immediate help and he had no young options on the roster he inherited. He was forced to go get another Band Aid because he had no other choice, you can't fill every hole with a long term solution in just one off season.

You maintain that you bring an unproductive player back at a big cap number because he is a leader and his poor play was due to injury. I don't believe he played all that well when healthy and again every player plays with injury so using that to justify his poor play is something I just don't agree with. Bottom line is even when healthy he was nothing special even if you don't buy that he was the worst. Can you really say he was a difference maker on a regular basis even when healthy? Sorry for $8 million we need more production at that price and I can't justify it even with his leadership ability. There are others who can fill that role.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 02-01-2016 at 09:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football