Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 08:06 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times

Advertisements

Just give the job to Kirk Cousins, be done with RGIII.. See if some other team can make him a success..

I think Cousins can be a starting QB in the NFL.. And a successful one.. But, you've got to give him the time to learn. He's going to have the games where he throws the late pick.. He's going to have the Giants game where he throws 4 or 5 picks.. Then he won't.

RGIII can't stay healthy.. Can't hold onto the damn ball.. And can't avoid sacks, which leads back to him not staying healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 08:13 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Just give the job to Kirk Cousins, be done with RGIII.. See if some other team can make him a success..

I think Cousins can be a starting QB in the NFL.. And a successful one.. But, you've got to give him the time to learn. He's going to have the games where he throws the late pick.. He's going to have the Giants game where he throws 4 or 5 picks.. Then he won't.

RGIII can't stay healthy.. Can't hold onto the damn ball.. And can't avoid sacks, which leads back to him not staying healthy.
Yeah... I don't think anyone hit Griffin when the ball was fumbled.

As far as holding on to the ball, he is kinda like Vick... Except Vick was quick enough to avoid the big shots sometimes.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:37 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

As far as holding on to the ball, he is kinda like Vick... Except Vick was quick enough to avoid the big shots sometimes.
And they should stop drafting QBs in the first round. Two words.. Heath Shuler.

Shoulda learned the lesson there.. What happened? They draft him.. What was it? #4? He gets beat out by a 7th round draft pick who takes himself out of a game by headbutting a wall. Don't get me wrong.. I still like Gus Frerotte.. And he was never going to be a star, but.. He was a serviceable QB. Put a strong team around him.. He'd protect the ball and could get you to a Super Bowl. Him and Jason Campbell were much the same in that regard. They may not be Brett Favre.. They're Mark Rypiens.. Rypien and Favre have the exact same number of Super Bowl wins.. Campbell's problem was he couldn't throw the ball downfield. And.. Well, Campbell was a first rounder, too.

Someone go get Babe Laughenberg out of retirement.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:25 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,113,345 times
Oh. My. God. yes, the o-line was awful, and yes, the play calling didn't help....but Robert looked so lost and scared out there. his pocket presence blows. That spin right into Scherff, wtf? he's slow to read defenses post-snap, and he still holds onto the ball too long.

Not that I've always defended him, but deep down inside, I was still holding out hope that RG3 would figure it out. But he's broken. Shell-shocked. His confidence is shot, and I'm not sure he'll ever get it back.

Because of what we gave up for him, RG3 still starts the season. It's up to him to prove to the front office and the sports world that he's either "the guy" or he's not.

This could be the beginning of the end for my boy Griff

Old 08-21-2015, 08:33 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And they should stop drafting QBs in the first round. Two words.. Heath Shuler.

Shoulda learned the lesson there.. What happened? They draft him.. What was it? #4? He gets beat out by a 7th round draft pick who takes himself out of a game by headbutting a wall. Don't get me wrong.. I still like Gus Frerotte.. And he was never going to be a star, but.. He was a serviceable QB. Put a strong team around him.. He'd protect the ball and could get you to a Super Bowl. Him and Jason Campbell were much the same in that regard. They may not be Brett Favre.. They're Mark Rypiens.. Rypien and Favre have the exact same number of Super Bowl wins.. Campbell's problem was he couldn't throw the ball downfield. And.. Well, Campbell was a first rounder, too.

Someone go get Babe Laughenberg out of retirement.
I always liked Jason Campbell. Seemed like a good guy and a hard worker.

Not that Jason Campbell was some talent extraordinaire, but I thought he suffered from having so many offensive coordinators during his tenure in DC. That lack of consistency can't be good for any young QB in the NFL.

He had a diesel arm so I don't think his inability to throw downfield was an issue. His accuracy may have been an issue since he tended to overthrow receivers, but he had pretty excellent arm strength. His problem, in my view, was that his decision-making wasn't quick enough, and as a result he tended to hold on to the ball too long. He was yet another QB who came from a rather simplified offensive scheme in college and couldn't make the necessary adjustment at the next level.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Oh. My. God. yes, the o-line was awful, and yes, the play calling didn't help....but Robert looked so lost and scared out there. his pocket presence blows. That spin right into Scherff, wtf? he's slow to read defenses post-snap, and he still holds onto the ball too long.

Not that I've always defended him, but deep down inside, I was still holding out hope that RG3 would figure it out. But he's broken. Shell-shocked. His confidence is shot, and I'm not sure he'll ever get it back.

Because of what we gave up for him, RG3 still starts the season. It's up to him to prove to the front office and the sports world that he's either "the guy" or he's not.

This could be the beginning of the end for my boy Griff
RG3 simply isn't a good QB. Cousins and McCoy are not good QBs either but they play the position better than RG3 does.

I think they said the offense had 7 total yards on its first four possessions. I'm not sure if he even had a completion last night.

Griffin can't move the chains. That's something that Cousins seems to do okay at despite all of his flaws. You don't always need a guy to be Tom Brady; you just need a guy who can convert on the occasional 3rd and 6. And if you watch guys like Brady and Rodgers, they're not always making big plays. A lot of the time they're just keeping their offense on the field by doing relatively easy things on a very consistent basis (i.e, 5 yard out, slant, pop pass, etc.).

Chris Cooley gave a scathing review of Griffin last season.

Quote:
“If I’m Sean McVay and Jay Gruden right now — no joke, if I’m them right now — I’m sitting in an office on a Tuesday, scratching my head and saying I don’t know what we can put in. We’re really struggling to execute and get the ball in the right direction on easy plays. Like, EASY plays. So I don’t know what we install. I’m not sure, as a staff, how you walk into that install meeting [Wednesday] and say these plays are gonna be great, this is gonna be good here, these spots are [gonne be] here against this coverage. Based on that performance, it’s a real struggle to continue to grow as an entire group of guys.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...skins-offense/

Old 08-21-2015, 09:40 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
So, thanks to skins_fan82's link, I was able to catch the game online last night.

Here are my thoughts:

The starting offensive line was down right terrible at pass protection last night. It reminded me of how bad pass protection was during the Steve Spurrier years, when Patrick Ramsey would get killed almost every time he dropped back to pass. Every single news media outlet posted about how bad the offensive line was last night. It was horrid. Down right horrid, and I expected much better despite Trent Williams being out. Our #1 draft pick, Brandon Shereff got pushed back like a little *bleep*. I don't know if the Lion's pass rush was that good or the line was that bad. Probably both is true.

I can't help to feel that the coaching staff is setting RGIII up for failure. After a week of RGIII saying he's the best quarterback in the league, you have to wonder if the locker room is like, "We'll see about that!" I mean, the offensive line was doing a great job with run blocking. How could they be that poor with pass protection? And the fact that after seeing RGIII getting killed out there, the coaching staff left him in. Maybe they truly are trying to teach Griffin a lesson? I don't know and I won't try to speculate on any conspiracy, but it's obvious that they needed to wave the white flag and realize Griffin was not going to have a good night against the Lion's front four.

That said, RGIII is not the answer. I will always love him for that 2012 season, but it's time to start thinking about who the 'skins can get for quarterback next year. Either a solid draft pick or a can't miss vet. I know McCloughan likes to build through the draft, but I'm sure he wouldn't hesitate to grab a solid veteran QB if one is available next season. We'll see. I'd rather just ride with Captain Kirk than to keep cringing every time RGIII goes back to pass. And as it stands now, RGIII is likely not to play next week in the "dress rehearsal" game.

Have to say, so glad I'm not spending all of that money on NFL Sunday Ticket this year! Looks like it's going to be a waste of money again!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:43 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

He's kind of like Gumby.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
The starting offensive line was down right terrible at pass protection last night. It reminded me of how bad pass protection was during the Steve Spurrier years, when Patrick Ramsey would get killed almost every time he dropped back to pass. Every single news media outlet posted about how bad the offensive line was last night. It was horrid. Down right horrid, and I expected much better despite Trent Williams being out. Our #1 draft pick, Brandon Shereff got pushed back like a little *bleep*. I don't know if the Lion's pass rush was that good or the line was that bad. Probably both is true.

I can't help to feel that the coaching staff is setting RGIII up for failure. After a week of RGIII saying he's the best quarterback in the league, you have to wonder if the locker room is like, "We'll see about that!" I mean, the offensive line was doing a great job with run blocking. How could they be that poor with pass protection? And the fact that after seeing RGIII getting killed out there, the coaching staff left him in. Maybe they truly are trying to teach Griffin a lesson? I don't know and I won't try to speculate on any conspiracy, but it's obvious that they needed to wave the white flag and realize Griffin was not going to have a good night against the Lion's front four.
This is sort of a chicken or the egg question, right? Are a bunch of sacks and hits evidence that the offensive line is playing poorly? Or is it evidence that the QB fails to recognize defensive schemes and make pre-snap adjustments accordingly?

If Andrew Luck had been behind that line last night instead of RG3, would he have had no completions with 10 yards of total offense while on the field? I have a hard time believing that would be the case. Yes, the offensive line blows assignments, but elite QBs are able to pick on things in defenses pre-snap that minimize the chances of a sack or big hit. Watch the elite guys (Brees, Manning, Brady, Rodgers) and they are constantly making these adjustments: pointing out potential blitzers, directing receivers to tighten up, communicating with the center, etc. We're already seeing Jameis Winston doing this after one pre-season game.

RG3 just sort of seems to walk up to the line and run whatever play is called. I don't sense that he understands the nuances of the game sufficiently to see where the safeties are and say "Hey, number 73, move over to the right a little." It just seems like he gets the play, takes the snap, looks for his first option, and if it isn't there, run. Then when he gets sacked everyone throws up their hands and says "Man, the O-Line is terrible!" That may be true. But I imagine the offensive linemen have to be thinking to themselves, "The crowd has absolutely no idea how to do our job. If I were playing with Tom Brady instead of this bozo, I'd be a Pro Bowler."

Old 08-21-2015, 02:57 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is sort of a chicken or the egg question, right? Are a bunch of sacks and hits evidence that the offensive line is playing poorly? Or is it evidence that the QB fails to recognize defensive schemes and make pre-snap adjustments accordingly?

If Andrew Luck had been behind that line last night instead of RG3, would he have had no completions with 10 yards of total offense while on the field? I have a hard time believing that would be the case. Yes, the offensive line blows assignments, but elite QBs are able to pick on things in defenses pre-snap that minimize the chances of a sack or big hit. Watch the elite guys (Brees, Manning, Brady, Rodgers) and they are constantly making these adjustments: pointing out potential blitzers, directing receivers to tighten up, communicating with the center, etc. We're already seeing Jameis Winston doing this after one pre-season game.

RG3 just sort of seems to walk up to the line and run whatever play is called. I don't sense that he understands the nuances of the game sufficiently to see where the safeties are and say "Hey, number 73, move over to the right a little." It just seems like he gets the play, takes the snap, looks for his first option, and if it isn't there, run. Then when he gets sacked everyone throws up their hands and says "Man, the O-Line is terrible!" That may be true. But I imagine the offensive linemen have to be thinking to themselves, "The crowd has absolutely no idea how to do our job. If I were playing with Tom Brady instead of this bozo, I'd be a Pro Bowler."
You do have a point. It's unclear right now as to how he has progressed in terms of the pre-snap read. We just haven't seen enough of him in the preseason to say he hasn't improved or he has improved in reading defenses. I will say, when he's had time to throw, he's thrown to wide open receivers. But I haven't seen him look over the defense and call out adjustments. That might be by design though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football