Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 09:55 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times

Advertisements

And do I think RGIII could ever become that good at pre-snap adjustments? No. Doesn't mean he can't succeed in the NFL, but his style just is not one compared to Peyton Manning.

I think Kirk Cousins would be better at pre-snap reads. From what I remember, seems like Colt McCoy was pretty good at pre-snap reads as well, although he has more NFL experience. Out of the three quarterbacks right now, Kirk Cousins seems to have the best chance at succeeding in the NFL. McCoy can be a good game manager, and I think RGIII can be successful, but he needs to be in an offense where there's a lot of roll outs and run heavy - which could be the Redskins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 11:26 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Manning is just superhuman with that stuff. I think most any quarterback would have a hard time doing those pre-snap reads and adjustments as well as Peyton Manning does it. He's being doing it a very long time and probably the best quarterback ever at adjusting the offensive protections.
I'm not saying any QB should be able to do what Manning does. I'm saying this idea that any QB would be obliterated behind the Redskins O-Line, and that these ferocious hits are inevitable behind such a line, are completely ridiculous. RG3 gets sacked much more than the other two QBs and there's more to that than coach "hateration" and a lack of effort/conspiracy among his O-Line to get him injured.

No offensive lineman wants to look bad. I would imagine that not giving 100% effort, and allowing your QB to get his ribs fractured or concussed, is NOT the way to guarantee yourself a long-term contract in the NFL. I think there's probably some truth to what Cooley says about O-Linemen being concerned about RG making them look bad.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not saying any QB should be able to do what Manning does. I'm saying this idea that any QB would be obliterated behind the Redskins O-Line, and that these ferocious hits are inevitable behind such a line, are completely ridiculous. RG3 gets sacked much more than the other two QBs and there's more to that than coach "hateration" and a lack of effort/conspiracy among his O-Line to get him injured.

No offensive lineman wants to look bad. I would imagine that not giving 100% effort, and allowing your QB to get his ribs fractured or concussed, is NOT the way to guarantee yourself a long-term contract in the NFL. I think there's probably some truth to what Cooley says about O-Linemen being concerned about RG making them look bad.
Just curious, did you watch the game Thursday night?

Old 08-25-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Just curious, did you watch the game Thursday night?
Yes.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:46 PM

Robert Griffin was the most sacked QB in the League last season on a per pass basis. The first number in parentheses is the number of sacks. The second number is the number of pass attempts. The final number is the ratio of pass attempts to sacks.

Andrew Luck (16/616) - 38.50
Peyton Manning (17/597) - 35.11
Nick Foles (9/311) - 34.55
Joe Flacco (19/554) - 29.15
Tom Brady (21/582) - 27.71
Kirk Cousins (8/204) - 25.5
Derek Carr (24/599) - 24.95
Carson Palmer (9/224) - 24.88
Andy Dalton (21/481) - 22.90
Drew Brees (29/659) - 22.72
Drew Stanton (11/240) - 21.81
Matt Ryan (31/628) - 20.25
Jason Campbell (16/317) - 19.81*
Aaron Rodgers (28/520) - 18.57
Ben Roethlisberger (33/608) - 18.42
Brian Hoyer (24/438) - 18.25
Philip Rivers (36/570) - 15.83
Tony Romo (29/435) - 15.0
Jay Cutler (38/561) - 14.76
Kyle Orton (33/447) - 13.54
Mark Sanchez (23/309) - 13.43
Matthew Stafford (45/602) - 13.37
Geno Smith (28/367) - 13.10
Ryan Tannehill (46/590) - 12.82
Cam Newton (38/448) - 11.78
E.J. Manuel (28/306) - 10.92*
Russell Wilson (42/452) - 10.76
Teddy Bridgewater (39/402) - 10.30
Brandon Weeden (27/267) - 9.88*
Colin Kaepernick - (52/478) - 9.19
Josh McCown (36/327) - 9.08
Brent Bortles (55/475) - 8.63
Colt McCoy (17/128) - 7.53
Robert Griffin (33/214) - 6.48

*2013 season

Robert Griffin was sacked more frequently than any QB in the NFL. It's true that McCoy is the second most sacked QB in the NFL, but then Cousins doesn't really get sacked often at all. Then you have several guys on lousy teams that manage not to get sacked as much as Griffin. Not even Jason Campbell came close to being sacked as often as Griffin did during any of his four seasons with the Redskins. In fact, Campbell didn't even get sacked as often as Griffin (9.96 passes per sack) with the Raiders.

So could it be that the Redskins had the absolute worst offensive line in the NFL last year? They weren't good but I'm not certain they were the worst. The stats suggest that a lot of the blame (if not most of it) falls on Griffin.

None of this is to say that fewer sacks = better QB. I'm not suggesting for a second that Nick Foles is better than Tom Brady. All I'm saying is that Griffin had a harder time keeping upright than any other QB in the NFL and that there seems to be a reason for that beyond terrible O-Line play.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:14 PM

RG3 is the most frequently sacked QB in the history of his franchise. This is the pass/sack ratio for each of the Redskins QBs since 1995 (from their worst season).

Shane Matthews - 26.3
Kirk Cousins - 25.5
Brad Johnson - 18.3
Tim Hasselbeck - 19.6
Gus Frerotte - 27.1
Mark Brunell - 16.8
Rex Grossman - 14.7
Jeff Hostetler - 14.4
Donovan McNabb - 12.8
Jason Campbell - 11.8
Todd Collins - 11.5
Patrick Ramsey - 11.2
Jeff Green - 10.4
Heath Shuler - 9.6
Danny Wuerrfel - 8.4
John Beck - 8.3
Rich Gannon - 7.8
Colt McCoy - 7.5
Jeff George - 7.0
Robert Griffin - 6.5

Old 08-26-2015, 06:56 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
This is not news to Redskins fans Bajan, we all understand the problem. And it was a combination of a bad OL and a QB who simply is not ready to be a pocket passer last year just as it was on Thursday. It sure would be nice to see Griffin behind decent protection before throwing him out the door. Recognizing the issue up front the team made several off season moves and none included Willie Freaking Smith at LT. So we'll see.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This is not news to Redskins fans Bajan, we all understand the problem. And it was a combination of a bad OL and a QB who simply is not ready to be a pocket passer last year just as it was on Thursday. It sure would be nice to see Griffin behind decent protection before throwing him out the door. Recognizing the issue up front the team made several off season moves and none included Willie Freaking Smith at LT. So we'll see.
I think the issue has more to do with Griffin than it does the O-Line. Unless, that is, you believe the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had a vastly superior offensive line in 2014 than the Redskins did. Even Geno Smith, as terrible as he is, managed not to get sacked every 6.5 passes behind that sorry excuse for an O-Line the Jets put on the field.

I'm not saying this to bash on RG3 all day. I just think there's something to what Cooley is saying.

Quote:
“These guys are going to really struggle with the idea of how are we going to block for this guy? I don’t know how to block for this guy. He’s going to make us look bad. Because he’s setting up at nine yards, and I’m giving up a sack, but my entire career has been based on the idea that an edge set at nine yards is good enough for a quarterback to step up and throw the ball. He will not.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...skins-offense/

Old 08-27-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think the issue has more to do with Griffin than it does the O-Line. Unless, that is, you believe the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had a vastly superior offensive line in 2014 than the Redskins did. Even Geno Smith, as terrible as he is, managed not to get sacked every 6.5 passes behind that sorry excuse for an O-Line the Jets put on the field.

I'm not saying this to bash on RG3 all day. I just think there's something to what Cooley is saying.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...skins-offense/
BajanYankee,

You're talking about 2014. Yes, Redskins fans know about RGIII's inabilities from that season. We're talking about last Thursday night's game. The issues in that game clearly had more to do with the offensive line than with RGIII. RGIII didn't look nearly as bad against the Browns in the first preseason game as he did last Thursday night. That is in no way, shape, or form denying that RGIII still has struggles, but I'd say it's equally ridiculous to think that the offensive line was playing just fine Thursday night.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
BajanYankee,

You're talking about 2014. Yes, Redskins fans know about RGIII's inabilities from that season. We're talking about last Thursday night's game. The issues in that game clearly had more to do with the offensive line than with RGIII. RGIII didn't look nearly as bad against the Browns in the first preseason game as he did last Thursday night. That is in no way, shape, or form denying that RGIII still has struggles, but I'd say it's equally ridiculous to think that the offensive line was playing just fine Thursday night.
I think the same issues he had in 2014 were evident in last week's game.

I've never played offensive linemen or professional football. I'm not sure if you have. Being spectators, I think we see a guy rush up the middle, deliver a hit on the QB, and then assume that someone on the O-Line blew an assignment. But according to the WaPo article quoting Trent Williams, that wasn't the case, and the responsibility fell on Griffin (not Smith) to recognize the blitzer and assign someone to pick him up. In the diagram I posted above, Peyton Manning does that by saying "54 is Mike," and I'm sure he's not the only QB in the NFL who's able to recognize blitzers (though he's one of, if not, the best at it). That's often the difference between a short completion or incomplete pass and a sack or bone crushing hit. Other QBs don't get hit as much because they read defenses better and move in the pocket better.

We see the same struggles with Kaepernick. Forced to stand in the pocket, he demonstrates little pocket awareness, poor field vision and indecisiveness, which leads to him taking a slew of sacks. Yeah, he's got impressive physical tools (height, size, strong arm, speed) but those things don't necessarily make a good QB.

I can't really fault them for their progression (or lack thereof) since so many of these QBs are coming out of spread offenses in college where they don't have to make many challenging throws. Just because you tore up in the Big 12 doesn't mean you're going to thrive against more complex defensive schemes with far superior speed, intelligence and athleticism. Guys like Andrew Luck and Teddy Bridgewater (or even Derek Carr) seem to be doing better because they played in pro-style systems that demanded more of them than simply following a play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football