Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 01:43 PM

16,279 posts, read 10,421,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Name another business where customers do not have to purchase the service, are unhappy with terrible ownership but still dump their hard earned cash into the owner's pockets.

So I stick by my main thesis: Giving Dan Snyder cash is a vote of confidence in his leadership of the organization.
You make it sound like the fans have a choice, like switching teams is like changing dry cleaners if you don't like the service or ownership.

This isn't that hard. We are fans, we root for the team in spite of the owner. Am I supposed to abandon my team of 40 years and spend my Sundays attending quilting work shops instead of doing what I love to do just to get back at the owner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 03:07 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You make it sound like the fans have a choice, like switching teams is like changing dry cleaners if you don't like the service or ownership.

This isn't that hard. We are fans, we root for the team in spite of the owner. Am I supposed to abandon my team of 40 years and spend my Sundays attending quilting work shops instead of doing what I love to do just to get back at the owner?
Well, first, you DO have a choice. The Redskins aren't the light bill where if you stop paying the lights go out. It is entertainment.

But, second, I'm not saying don't "support" the team I am saying if you want to send a message to Dan Snyder the ONLY way to do that is to hit him in the wallet. I think one can "support" the team (meaning the players and coaches and other fans) without attending games and buying merchandise.

Look...if Redskins fans want to continue to give Snyder their cash then I have no power to stop that. Frankly, I consider the 'Skins to be the new football equivalent of the Chicago Cubs. They have a deep and age old fan base that loves the team even after decades of putrid ownership and poor winning percentages.

The Jags are a terrible football team but the Redskins are also a terrible organization. This preseason should have been embarrassing for Redskins fans the way the national media literally laughed at the antics of the management and star quarterback.

But I think we can agree that 'Skins fans couldn't care less about what the rest of the country thinks of them, right?

Go Skins!!

Old 09-12-2015, 03:36 PM

Nah, it sucks being a laughing stock after being one of the most respected teams in the league. But fan boycotts of the games will only result in one thing, blackouts. A term Jags fans are familiar with but will never happen here.

As I said I don't go and have not put a penny in this clown's pocket. But let's be honest, the NFL is a cash cow and the reason is tv ratings, not parking revenue. So yeah I guess by watching I'm supporting the owner but that's not enough to make me stop.

By the way solid argument that then reason Snyder gave up control was losses, not fan input. But the criticism certainly helped make it happen sooner, I think he finally said "maybe they are right".

Old 09-12-2015, 06:31 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Well, first, you DO have a choice. The Redskins aren't the light bill where if you stop paying the lights go out. It is entertainment.
Ask the baseball fans in Montreal how that turned out. Or the St Louis Cardinals.. Or the Baltimore Colts.. Or the Cleveland Browns.

Yes, the lights do go out.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:32 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Ask the baseball fans in Montreal how that turned out. Or the St Louis Cardinals.. Or the Baltimore Colts.. Or the Cleveland Browns.

Not in DC. It is entertainment for the politicians.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:52 AM

Oh if the fans stop coming they would consider a move for sure. Maybe to New Mexico!

Old 09-13-2015, 06:24 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

That is called "hostage taking".

"My name is Dan Snyder and if you don't like what I'm doing I'll move the team".

If it came to that point then my suggestion is to let the rich twerp go and focus on the Wizards, Caps and Nats.

No reason to subjugate yourself to a billionaire who would show such disrespect to the fan base.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:28 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
looks like Wash is going with the ol'; we'll-shame-you-into-just-quitting routine....

Robert Griffin III practiced with scout team defense at safety - NFL.com

Old 09-13-2015, 02:43 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,472,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
looks like Wash is going with the ol'; we'll-shame-you-into-just-quitting routine....

Robert Griffin III practiced with scout team defense at safety - NFL.com
He's gotta get some exercise.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:45 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,472,831 times
So the Redskins drop their season opener 17-10 to the Dolphins. Had many chances in this game and couldn't capitalize. Too many penalties. Same ol', same ol'. Mix and repeat.

I will say, the team does look like it will compete this year, but I'd suggest 6-10 is probably a pretty accurate prediction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football