Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 08:07 AM

16,284 posts, read 10,427,990 times

Advertisements

It's unrealistic for this team to score TDs 80% of the time into the red zone so they need to get points every time they are there. But even the teams that do score TDs rely on great FG kickers to cash in on every scoring chance even when the drive stalls because they understand you can't leave points on the field. Look at NE, Indy, Green Bay or any other good team for that matter, they have kickers who make kicks. Crosby in GB isn't great from long distance, under 50% from outside of 50. His touchback average over his entire career, and that includes before they moved back, is only 22% which is worse than Kai with the new rule. But the Pack understand the value he offers and he's still employed. Veneteri is about the same from outside 50 and again has a lower touchback rate than Kai.

http://www.nfl.com/player/masoncrosb...32/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/adamvinati...71/careerstats

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/p...s.asp?id=25648

If we had cut Kai for Jason Tucker I got no problem. Again I agree, Kai is no better than the best 10-15 field goal kickers in the entire world. My point is he is better than all the rest and that includes every one of the 10-12 or so FG kickers we have been trotting out there the past decade. And we have no idea if this totally unproven kicker is going to be better.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 09-18-2015 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 02:11 PM

OK Idiot check, you caught me on the "new rule" thing. I keep thinking they just moved back, not up. So disregard that part of an otherwise completely awesome post above.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:31 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,475,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
OK Idiot check, you caught me on the "new rule" thing. I keep thinking they just moved back, not up. So disregard that part of an otherwise completely awesome post above.
LOL!

Old 09-18-2015, 09:20 PM

17,606 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Billy Cundiff is available..

Old 09-19-2015, 04:59 AM

And there just has to be of few of them there Zendejases out there too.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:31 PM

17,606 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
And there just has to be of few of them there Zendejases out there too.
I still remember.. somewhere around '88 or so when they had Max Zendejas kicking for them.. Must have been while Jess Atkinson was hurt, so.. '87 season?

He had signed with Green Bay after being cut by Washington, and Sonny and Sam in the booth were heckling him at the end of a game when he was attempting the game winning field goal.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:44 AM

Good win yesterday. We caught a Rams team ripe for a letdown and instilled our will, dominating both LOS all day long. They still need to fix a few things. Halftime adjustments are pathetic, defense needs to take the ball away and the coaches simply have to take the reigns off Kirk a bit and let him throw it downfiekd. But in a crappy division you never know.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:45 AM

That first half of football was probably the most perfect half of football the Redskins have played in years. They looked like a complete team in that first half. However, the pessimistic side of me was just waiting for the second half collapse, and sure enough, it looked almost as if the Redskins were following that script. Thank goodness, they finished strong!

I agree with Dave on the second half adjustments. There's a time to make second half adjustments, and there's a time to stick with what was working in the first half. McVay tried to switch things up in the second half, and that didn't work out so well. When he went back to that three tight end set, the offense started moving the ball at will again.

Kirk played a heck of a game, and he started gaining a lot more confidence down the stretch. If Kirk keeps playing well and keeps gaining confidence, he's going to be a heck of a quarterback. It's all about the head game though. Can he keep his head up when things aren't going so well? One thing about Cousins going deep. Without DeSean Jackson, there isn't really a true deep threat. I mean, Ross is fast and Grant can get behind the defense, but Jackson is the true deep threat guy. I also believe Gruden is trying to bring Cousins along slowly. He's relying on that strong running game, short and intermediate passes. I think we'll Gruden open it up more down the stretch. But honestly, if this game plan continues to work, then don't change it!

What can you say about Matt Jones? This dude is a beast! That duo with him and Morris is killer! Kind of felt sorry for Morris though. Morris is the type of back who seems to get better as the game goes on, but with Jones having the hot hand he's going to wind up keeping Alfred on the bench more. Who knows, Thursday night might be Alfred's night?

And come on, we have to give some love to Dustin Hopkins! The dude delivered! I think only one of his kickoffs was returned, and it was to the 20. This is exactly what the Redskins special teams unit needed. And, he was able to kick a 46-yarder with plenty of leg to have kicked a 56-yarder. Don't want to speak too early, but so far, it was the right move cutting Forbath and signing Hopkins.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:54 AM

And let's also talk about how wide open the NFC East is turning out to be. Dallas being without Tony Romo and Dez Bryant for a huge chunk of the year is going to hurt their chances. I'm not even sure what to think about the Eagles. They looked down right pathetic yesterday. They might play worlds better next week, but they looked downright awful. I think the Giants are heading toward "blow it all up" ville. They haven't looked good at all in the least few years. Probably should have gotten rid of Coughlin after last year.

Of course, we'll see how things go on Thursday night! Huge game for both teams!

Old 09-21-2015, 11:10 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,615,407 times
Great WIN for the SKINS! Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football