Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 12:42 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times

Advertisements

Matt Jones runs like a ****ing maniac. He chugs just as hard as Morris, but he's fast. I love Alfred, my favorite Redskin since Sean Taylor, but if Jones pans out, Morris might not be a Redskin in 2016 I hope I'm wrong though

Look you guys, bold prediction. No Homer, either. Skins are going to win on Sunday. yes, Miami has a NASTY front 7, and yes, our secondary is okay at best. But Kirk will find a way to win this game. 24-16 Redskins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 01:16 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah I also have to question the label "forgiving". Nobody is forgiving this organization. We have voiced our frustratioin for years. But what exactly are our options? Quitting a bad team to root for a winner? Screw that, that's not a fan, that's a front runner and front runners SUCK.
I don't have a problem with Redskins fans automatically rooting for a bad local team. I have a problem with Redskins fans rooting for and continuing to subsidize a very bad owner.

Telling Snyder that everything he's done with the team is A-OK via your wallet just encourages more Haynesworths, Zorns, Jason Campbells and RG3s into the future.

Tell Snyder to do nothing but sign the checks and back up your demand with a closed wallet until Snyder gets his hands out of the pie.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:54 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I hear ya! I'm also in my 40's, and looking back on my childhood, I realize how good I had it! I mean, when I first started watching the Redskins play, Joe Gibbs had taken over. And the very next year, the 'skins go to the Super Bowl! So, I basically grew up not ever knowing how it is to cheer for a bad team. I thought that 1988 season was the most horrible season ever. The Redskins were 7-9! LOL! That was the only sub .500 season Joe Gibbs ever had in his first tenure. If the 'skins go 7-9 this year, we call that a huge improvement!

I'll never forget that day at school, sitting in physics class. Our teacher walks in and announces that he heard on the radio that Joe Gibbs had stepped down as head coach of the Washington Redskins. I felt like someone had just punched me in the kidney! I had a bad, bad feeling after that announcement, and it proved to be right. The very next year would be a preview of how the 'skins would mostly look for the next 20 years - B-A-D!!!
Richie Petitbon got screwed. He took over a team that lost most of its stars(Wilbur Marshall, Gary Clark) and had many other players (Jim Lachey) dealing with injuries... There was no way anyone was winning big with that team. He should have done better than 4 wins.. But 7 or 8 was the tops that team was going to do.. And him being fired was wrong.. But.. I understand where JKC was coming from with that. He was pressured to fire him.

The sad part is.. He was out of the NFL after that. Never took another job. And he was one hell of a solid DC.

Norv got a raw deal at the end, but.. If he has the talent, his teams generally do well.. But, I don't think he was enough of a taskmaster to ride players to get them to perform.. The teams he had needed a Larry Bowa type personality.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:15 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
What are your impressions of Matt Jones? I haven't seen tape on him yet but the reports have sounded pretty impressive. Is your feeling that he could end up stealing the starting job from Alfred Morris at some point during the season?
He runs with violence, which can be a good and bad thing. I think it's a perfect one two punch, because the way Matt Jones runs, he'd surely break down within a few years if he was the lone feature back. That said, I have no issues with the 'skins backfield. Morris, Jones, and Thompson. I'm good with that.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I don't have a problem with Redskins fans automatically rooting for a bad local team. I have a problem with Redskins fans rooting for and continuing to subsidize a very bad owner.

Telling Snyder that everything he's done with the team is A-OK via your wallet just encourages more Haynesworths, Zorns, Jason Campbells and RG3s into the future.

Tell Snyder to do nothing but sign the checks and back up your demand with a closed wallet until Snyder gets his hands out of the pie.
You make it sound like all Redskins fans blindly follow the lead of the owner. We're much more intelligent than that. You're not going to have absolutely no Redskins fans going to games and buying jerseys. That's not going to happen in any NFL city with any NFL team, no matter how bad they are. But I can tell you that the stands aren't packed out like they used to be. You can see it easily on TV. And also, not every Redskins fan goes to games and buys jerseys. All the jerseys I have (which is three) were all given to me as gifts. I've been to exactly one game at Fedex, and I'm going to a game down in Charlotte. Not only that, I'm able to watch the Redskins games for free. So, no, there's no money in Snyder's wallet from me.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Richie Petitbon got screwed. He took over a team that lost most of its stars(Wilbur Marshall, Gary Clark) and had many other players (Jim Lachey) dealing with injuries... There was no way anyone was winning big with that team. He should have done better than 4 wins.. But 7 or 8 was the tops that team was going to do.. And him being fired was wrong.. But.. I understand where JKC was coming from with that. He was pressured to fire him.

The sad part is.. He was out of the NFL after that. Never took another job. And he was one hell of a solid DC.

Norv got a raw deal at the end, but.. If he has the talent, his teams generally do well.. But, I don't think he was enough of a taskmaster to ride players to get them to perform.. The teams he had needed a Larry Bowa type personality.

I honestly don't think Petitbon was really motivated enough to rebuild the Redskins. He was a great DC, but he wasn't head coach material in my opinion. Like Gibbs, I think Petitbon was tired. He never looked like a guy who really wanted to be head coach. I think he was probably glad to be cut loose after that one season.

Norv, well, he did get a raw deal at the end, but it shouldn't take six years to rebuild a team. Norv was always going to be a mediocre coach. He was mediocre in San Diego as well. He took over a 14-2 team and turned them into a 9-7, 10-6 team at best. Sure they made the playoffs, but Norv proved to not be a head coach that can coach a team to greatness. He's better off as an offensive coordinator.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:39 AM

16,272 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:

You claimed that Redskins, Browns and Raiders were the most "forgiving fans" of them all. As I said we aren't forgiving, we've just been stuck with bad teams for a long time. Every one of us are sick and tired of it and we constantly voice our opinion. That isn't even close to being forgiving. We have all told Snyder to get out of the way and his last few hires have shown that he has heard the complaints. The problem of course is the culture here is so bad even the smart men that come here and leave stupid.

As I said I don't go to games and purchase beers. But I certainly could not criticize a fan if he wanted to go out and support his team. You make it sound like that guy is giving Snyder the green light to make more dumb moves and that's just stupid logic. He goes to the games to root for his team despite the owner, that's all.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
You claimed that Redskins, Browns and Raiders were the most "forgiving fans" of them all. As I said we aren't forgiving, we've just been stuck with bad teams for a long time. Every one of us are sick and tired of it and we constantly voice our opinion. That isn't even close to being forgiving. We have all told Snyder to get out of the way and his last few hires have shown that he has heard the complaints. The problem of course is the culture here is so bad even the smart men that come here and leave stupid.

As I said I don't go to games and purchase beers. But I certainly could not criticize a fan if he wanted to go out and support his team. You make it sound like that guy is giving Snyder the green light to make more dumb moves and that's just stupid logic. He goes to the games to root for his team despite the owner, that's all.
"Stupid logic"?

You know that the NFL/Redskins are a business don't you? The 'Skins aren't your son or daughter. So if you give Dan Snyder your money (not you personally but the general "you" of Redskins Nation) you are signaling your support of his actions. Not going to games and paying exorbitant parking fees and buying exorbitantly priced food, etc. doesn't mean that you all of a sudden hate the Redskins players, history, culture and so on.

You are telling the crappy ownership that they get no more of your cash until TRUE changes are made.

You may be a big fan of Ben's Chili Bowl, another local institution, but if the management kept ticking you off would you continue to give that BUSINESS your money?

Old 09-12-2015, 11:43 AM

16,272 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
"Stupid logic"?

You know that the NFL/Redskins are a business don't you? The 'Skins aren't your son or daughter. So if you give Dan Snyder your money (not you personally but the general "you" of Redskins Nation) you are signaling your support of his actions. Not going to games and paying exorbitant parking fees and buying exorbitantly priced food, etc. doesn't mean that you all of a sudden hate the Redskins players, history, culture and so on.

You are telling the crappy ownership that they get no more of your cash until TRUE changes are made.

You may be a big fan of Ben's Chili Bowl, another local institution, but if the management kept ticking you off would you continue to give that BUSINESS your money?
My stupid logic comment dealt directly with your premise that by going to the game you are giving Snyder the OK to make more stupid moves. Again that's crazy logic and again we have voiced our objection. And he has heard us and has changed, the evidence is the hiring of Shanahan and giving him total control, then doing the same with Allen and now SM. He is no longer in the war room, he is no longer off with Vinny Cerato scouting college QBs and he sure isn't on the phone offering the Bengals 2 #1's for Chad Ocho Cinco. And that is a direct result of the fans input. So no we have not been patient as you originally claimed and we have not been forgiving. In fact just the opposite has occurred.

But if a fan still wants to go to the game and root for his team he should be allowed to do so without feeling as if he is enabling the bad owner and encouraging him to give those 2 high school kids who attacked the ref 7 year deals because that is simply not the case. He goes to the games because he likes to go to the games and root his team on. And if part of that experience is booing the owner, which has happened plenty, so be it.

So the "true change" you have been referring to has taken place and it's a direct result of the fans' protests. The problem as I said is it won't be enough because of the culture of this organization and it starts at the top.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 09-12-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 09-12-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
My stupid logic comment dealt directly with your premise that by going to the game you are giving Snyder the OK to make more stupid moves. Again that's crazy logic and again we have voiced our objection. And he has heard us and has changed, the evidence is the hiring of Shanahan and giving him total control, then doing the same with Allen and now SM. He is no longer in the war room, he is no longer off with Vinny Cerato scouting college QBs and he sure isn't on the phone offering the Bengals 2 #1's for Chad Ocho Cinco. And that is a direct result of the fans input. So no we have not been patient as you originally claimed and we have not been forgiving. In fact just the opposite has occurred.

But if a fan still wants to go to the game and root for his team he should be allowed to do so without feeling as if he is enabling the bad owner and encouraging him to give those 2 high school kids who attacked the ref 7 year deals because that is simply not the case. He goes to the games because he likes to go to the games and root his team on. And if part of that experience is booing the owner, which has happened plenty, so be it.

So the "true change" you have been referring to has taken place and it's a direct result of the fans' protests. The problem as I said is it won't be enough because of the culture of this organization and it starts at the top.
When people speak of Dan Snyder's quality of ownership they aren't speaking in the past tense. I think his moves over the last few years haven't been to desperately win the hearts and minds of disgruntled fans but to simply build a winning organization. His actions are a result of what the win/loss column says after week 17 each season, not what fans say about him online or during call-in radio shows. I've never believed he didn't WANT to win just that he hasn't a clue of how to make that a reality.

So it isn't like he WAS bad but has now SEEN THE LIGHT thanks to the fans. He is terrible as always because he is just not good at building a good professional football organization.

What he IS good at is gouging his team's fans (pay to watch practice during training camp??). And if Redskins fans don't mind being gouged...hey, its a free country. I'll say it again - the NFL is a business offering entertainment services. Like any other business its owners can easily see if their customers are happy based on the amount of cash being deposited into the till. Name another business where customers do not have to purchase the service, are unhappy with terrible ownership but still dump their hard earned cash into the owner's pockets.

So I stick by my main thesis: Giving Dan Snyder cash is a vote of confidence in his leadership of the organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football