Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 08:45 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,144,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Well, Scot McCloughan wasn't really in dire straights. In fact, he was running a pretty successful scouting company for the NFL. He actually had it made with running this type of company, but his true heart was with scouting/GM for one particular team. The Redskins came calling and McCloughan answered. Time will tell if Snyder truly lets McCloughan do his job or if Snyder gets too impatient with the process.

But saying only a defensive coach with a very poor NFL record would work for Snyder? Well, Shanahan worked for Snyder, and he was an offensive coach. he also had a winning record and two Super Bowls. Joe Gibbs worked for Snyder. Again, offensive coach, winning record, and three Super Bowls with four Super Bowl appearances. Now, if you're saying from Jay Gruden on, the 'skins will never have a proven head coach who'd want to come and coach the team, I'd say it all depends on Scot McCloughan. Head coaches, past and present, aren't dumb. If they can see that the player personnel being brought in is a direct result of McCloughan, and that these players appear to be higher quality players, then any head coach is going to see that McCloughan is in charge and would want to work closely with a GM who helped to build championship caliber teams in Green Bay, San Fran, and Seattle. Don't forget. Scot McCloughan did not hire Jay Gruden. He inherited him. So, if Gruden isn't cutting it, McCloughan will have no issues with letting him go.

And Snyder isn't stupid either. He's seeing that there's more and more visiting fans filling those stadium seats than Redskins fans. He knows he's losing the fan base. The only thing that keeps them hanging around is the fact that he's fighting for the name. Other than that, the fan base would probably be long gone. I think what also gives the fan base hope, again, is bringing Scot McCloughan in as GM. Even Snyder's most harsh critics praised him for finally making the right move for the franchise. I'd like to take a wait and see approach as to how long will Snyder give McCloughan, and how much authority did he give McCloughan. It's easy to see Scot has full control over player personnel, but if he truly has full authority over the coaching personnel, as well as his own scouting team, then we just need to be patient for another couple years.
I agree, but my patients and thousands of others have had it. Lets face it Snyder isn't stupid. He's brilliant at marketing and in leading the fans by the nose every year, hoping this move will hold the fan base together for another season until all hell brakes loose only to see Snyder pull another rabbit out of his hat. This GM better pan out otherwise I truly believe the NFL needs to intervene in some major way in dealing with ******* owners, in which they have every right to do. I can care less how much money an owner has or how big his yacht is. Dan snyders yacht - Google Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 09:04 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,475,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I agree, but my patients and thousands of others have had it. Lets face it Snyder isn't stupid. He's brilliant at marketing and in leading the fans by the nose every year, hoping this move will hold the fan base together for another season until all hell brakes loose only to see Snyder pull another rabbit out of his hat. This GM better pan out otherwise I truly believe the NFL needs to intervene in some major way in dealing with ******* owners, in which they have every right to do. I can care less how much money an owner has or how big his yacht is. Dan snyders yacht - Google Search
I hear ya bro'! It's even worse when you've invested several thousands of dollars into season tickets year in and year out. I remember when the Redskins were calling me almost on a weekly basis a few years back trying to wheel and deal season tickets for me. Number one, at the time, I lived about 5 hours away (now I live about six), so I wouldn't be attending every home game, and why would I invest that much money into season tickets for a losing team? I love my Redskins, don't get me wrong, but two things will have to happen before I invest in season tickets. Number one, they need to start winning on a consistent basis, and number two, they need to move into VA.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:14 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,144,630 times
Quote:
I hear ya bro'! It's even worse when you've invested several thousands of dollars into season tickets year in and year out. I remember when the Redskins were calling me almost on a weekly basis a few years back trying to wheel and deal season tickets for me. Number one, at the time, I lived about 5 hours away (now I live about six), so I wouldn't be attending every home game, and why would I invest that much money into season tickets for a losing team? I love my Redskins, don't get me wrong, but two things will have to happen before I invest in season tickets. Number one, they need to start winning on a consistent basis, and number two, they need to move into VA.
They wont be moving to VA because the next rabbit out of the hat will be a new stadium in DC with only 20,000 seats.

Again the general expenses to park drink and eat at Fedex just is not worth the hassle. Why? as you said, a team that loses on a regular bases for years and years with a bright spot here and there somewhere.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
They wont be moving to VA because the next rabbit out of the hat will be a new stadium in DC with only 20,000 seats.

Again the general expenses to park drink and eat at Fedex just is not worth the hassle. Why? as you said, a team that loses on a regular bases for years and years with a bright spot here and there somewhere.
I'm going to see them play the Panthers in Charlotte this year. Huge difference from my experience with Fedex. Parking is very reasonable (mostly all in parking garages.) Actually I don't even remember having to spend anything to park and I got a great parking place in one of the closest garages. The food was very reasonable as well. I don't think I drank anything though, but I know beer at Fedex is like $9 a bottle. Problem is, to enjoy watching the Redskins play, you just about have to drink!

Old 09-16-2015, 03:04 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Forbath will be picked up quickly by another team. He'll then burn the Skins in a close game. SOS---same old ****. As you can tell, when it pertains to the Snyder's team, I'm pessimistic.
Two words.. Max Zendejas

Quote:
I'm going to see them play the Panthers in Charlotte this year. Huge difference from my experience with Fedex. Parking is very reasonable (mostly all in parking garages.) Actually I don't even remember having to spend anything to park and I got a great parking place in one of the closest garages. The food was very reasonable as well. I don't think I drank anything though, but I know beer at Fedex is like $9 a bottle. Problem is, to enjoy watching the Redskins play, you just about have to drink!
Charlotte has a HUGE advantage over DC.. That being they knew before they had an NFL team how to deal with traffic. Everyone was scared the first year that they ran the fall Charlotte race and a Panthers game on the same day.. One event pulling 150k and another pulling 90k fans.. Charlotte handled it without a problem. Plus, the fact that their base population is much smaller than the DC area. It also helps that the football stadium is on the south side of town and the racetrack is on the north side.

Richardson is also a very good hands-off owner.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Two words.. Max Zendejas

Charlotte has a HUGE advantage over DC.. That being they knew before they had an NFL team how to deal with traffic. Everyone was scared the first year that they ran the fall Charlotte race and a Panthers game on the same day.. One event pulling 150k and another pulling 90k fans.. Charlotte handled it without a problem. Plus, the fact that their base population is much smaller than the DC area. It also helps that the football stadium is on the south side of town and the racetrack is on the north side.

Richardson is also a very good hands-off owner.
Yeah, going down to see a pro game in Charlotte was about like going to see a college game anywhere else. Didn't seem to be the atmosphere that you have in D.C. Honestly, I don't care if I ever go to Fedex to watch a 'skins game again. My last experience was just OK.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:17 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Quote:
Percentages are very misleading. What goes into these percentages? How long are these field goal attempts? How many field goal attempts are these kickers going out and attempting per game? Give me a clutch kicker who can come in and hit the 56 yarder without breaking a sweat over a guy who could be considered automatic within the 45 yards, but can't kick off out of the end zone.

Chip was 8-19 or 42% outside of 50, 28-40 (70%) from 40-49 over 9 seasons. Chip Lohmiller Stats - ESPN

Forbath was 2-5 (40%) outside of 50, 23-27 (85%) from 40-49 . Kai Forbath Stats - ESPN

Now I understand kickers are way better today. And I'm not claiming Forbath is great, obviously with the new rules his kick offs were a big problem. It's no accident this happened a week before Mr. Austin comes to town. But Kai sure is better than virtually every kicker we've had over the past 10 years.

You want an occasional 56 yarder? At the expense of ending a 9 play 63 yard with a deflating miss from 42? Not me.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Chip was 8-19 or 42% outside of 50, 28-40 (70%) from 40-49 over 9 seasons. Chip Lohmiller Stats - ESPN

Forbath was 2-5 (40%) outside of 50, 23-27 (85%) from 40-49 . Kai Forbath Stats - ESPN

Now I understand kickers are way better today. And I'm not claiming Forbath is great, obviously with the new rules his kick offs were a big problem. It's no accident this happened a week before Mr. Austin comes to town. But Kai sure is better than virtually every kicker we've had over the past 10 years.

You want an occasional 56 yarder? At the expense of ending a 9 play 63 yard with a deflating miss from 42? Not me.
I'm assuming you're trying to say that it wasn't a problem when kickers had to kick off from the 30, but moving it up 5 yards, suddenly it became a problem for Kai? Well yeah, look how all the other kickers in the league are not just kicking it in the end zone, they're kicking it way out of the end zone on kick offs. So yes, it's a major problem. I don't think you're seeing how much a bad kick off can really change the momentum of the game.

Sure, you have a kicker who is kicking field goals at a high percentage within a high percentage range. He's 19th in the league with that percentage. That's a little worse than right smack dab in the middle. It shouldn't be too difficult to replace an average field goal kicker, which is what Kai Forbath was. But how much are you willing to hold on to a guy who is going to be "Mr. Automatic" for you at 42 yards out, and then spot the other team several yards on the kick off to where they're starting no worse than the 35 yard line? Suddenly you're trading field goals for touchdowns. Look at the numbers you posted. Chip Lohmiller only attempted 13 more field goals in nine years, from what Kai has attempted in two years. Yes, this is part of the offense's fault for not being able to punch it in from the 22 yard line, but still, I'd bet if Lohmiller had more opportunities in those nine years, his percentage would be just as good, if not better, than Kai's in that range.

Also, an interesting thing to point out is this: Kai has had 5 attempts from outside the 50. Only five attempts. How many possible field goal attempts were passed up because the coaches new Forbath didn't have the leg? My opinion is, it's easy finding a guy who should be within the same percentage of success as Kai within 50 yards, even if he's just as bad outside of 50. If he can kick it out of the end zone on kick offs, that's going to go a very long ways toward helping the defense stop opposing teams more often.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:03 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Well the stupid rule change that puts the ball at the spot has discoiuraged a lot of coaches from trying a very exciting play, the long field goal. So that's a part of the reason as is his short range. As for Chip and his attempts we have enough of a sample size to determine his accuracy. That's like saying a career .250 hitter will be a .300 hitter with more plate appearances. No evidence to support that at all but again kickers are WAY better today.

You are right, Kai is average. But how in the world can we assume the new guy will be better than average? He hasn't done anything in the big boy league. After watching our team lose games on blown kicks by countless kickers over the last 15 years I hate to say goodbye to a guy who was accurate and clutch (bomb to seal the Dallas game).

Old 09-18-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Well the stupid rule change that puts the ball at the spot has discoiuraged a lot of coaches from trying a very exciting play, the long field goal. So that's a part of the reason as is his short range. As for Chip and his attempts we have enough of a sample size to determine his accuracy. That's like saying a career .250 hitter will be a .300 hitter with more plate appearances. No evidence to support that at all but again kickers are WAY better today.

You are right, Kai is average. But how in the world can we assume the new guy will be better than average? He hasn't done anything in the big boy league. After watching our team lose games on blown kicks by countless kickers over the last 15 years I hate to say goodbye to a guy who was accurate and clutch (bomb to seal the Dallas game).
Most of all the kickers have kicked clutch kicks to seal victories. It isn't anything exclusive with Kai. Novak kicked an improbable game winner against Dallas a few years back (thanks to a heads up play by Sean Taylor.) I have the DVD of that game. Hall has kicked some game winners. Lohmiller, Moseley, etc...again, I don't see anything that suggests Kai has something over any other kicker in the league. Reason why I always liked Chip Lohmiller the best was that not only was he very reliable, but he also tackled on special teams - something kickers try to avoid doing or just can't do. His kick offs were pretty solid as well. He was one of the few kickers in the league that actually lifted weights. Nowadays, most all of them train just like the other players, which is partly why you're seeing stronger kicks.

But the way I see it is, if we're relying more on Kai or some other kicker to do the scoring, then there's something wrong. If our team gets to the 22 yard line, it should be punching it in the end zone at least 80% of the time. In my opinion, field goals are intended for scoring outside of the red zone. Again, that's why if you look at the Chip Lohmiler era, his numbers aren't going to look as great because the 'skins were scoring more touchdowns than field goals. And I believe pinning the opposing team back as much as possible helps the 'skins with the field position battle, which ultimately leads to higher scoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football