Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 08:13 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I really hope we can get some kind of run game going. I know Kelley is the man right now, but I'd like to see Perine get a few carries here and there.
I just don't see that happening. Philly is very good against the run and we suck. No Kirk will have to win this game, not confident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 10:28 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,115,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I just don't see that happening. Philly is very good against the run and we suck. No Kirk will have to win this game, not confident.
Agreed, per usual. It was that way all of last year. Skins D sucked ass, and our run blocking usually sucked ass too, and we were no threat to run. Kirk will have to put his team on his shoulders again in 2017 like he had to every game last year.

That's why I hate Eli so much. He was HORRIBLE last year, yet he's got that nasty defense to bail him out. Dak has arguably the #1 O-line in the NFL and a beast of a RB with huge holes to run through. Dak was a game manager. Kirk had neither, no D nor a running game.

And yet Dak is praised (not saying he wasn't good, but his "level of responsibility" as a NFL QB last year was pretty low) and Eli made the playoffs so he got praised too.....when Kirk had to do it all himself last year, put up top 3 QB numbers, and yet all he got was the "Kirk can't win big games" label. As if his defense did him any favors last year. Just frustrating.

RIGHT NOW, Kirk is probably the best QB in the nfc east. Yet gets the most flak.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:48 AM

3,737 posts, read 2,568,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
when Kirk had to do it all himself last year, put up top 3 QB numbers, and yet all he got was the "Kirk can't win big games" label. As if his defense did him any favors last year..
82, Your point was fully demonstrated in the October game vs. Detroit last season.. Cousins threw for 300 yards w/no picks. Washington scores in the closing minutes, things look good. Then the Redskins' D comes out playing very soft coverage & the Lions win in the closing seconds.
I looked at Washington's defensive stats from last season, truth is, they weren't too bad, but they weren't equaling Cousins' high level of offensive production.. so my opinion, a lot of the losses/tie fell more on the D than Kirk. Even tho sports media seems to be hypercritical & unfair to Cousins..

I believe, some of the Cousins' critics are resentful RG3 partisans.. who will basically always root against Kirk, because he displaced their over hyped hero.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:14 PM

It's good to see the gang back together. Good to see you all again.

I agree that Kirk as played as well or better than every other QB in the NFC East. But that pick against the Giants to end the season has some saying "see". But the comment about the situations Eli and Dak are in when compared to Kirk is spot on. Only thing I'll add is Kirk gets good protection and the Giants OL is suspect. But with that 3 step drop offense they run it doesn't really seem to matter.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:20 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,115,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
82, Your point was fully demonstrated in the October game vs. Detroit last season.. Cousins threw for 300 yards w/no picks. Washington scores in the closing minutes, things look good. Then the Redskins' D comes out playing very soft coverage & the Lions win in the closing seconds.
I looked at Washington's defensive stats from last season, truth is, they weren't too bad, but they weren't equaling Cousins' high level of offensive production.. so my opinion, a lot of the losses/tie fell more on the D than Kirk. Even tho sports media seems to be hypercritical & unfair to Cousins..

I believe, some of the Cousins' critics are resentful RG3 partisans.. who will basically always root against Kirk, because he displaced their over hyped hero.
Agreed on the RG3 fanboys holding out. They'll forever hate Kirk.

Look at the Thanksgiving game from last year. Kirk's stats were flat out ridiculous. Look at Kirk vs Dak that game:

Cousins: 41/53, 450 yards, 3 TDs.

Prescott: 17/24, 195 yards, 1 TD.

And yet after the game, I had Cowboys fans texting me "Kirk sucks!" LOL

Old 09-06-2017, 04:38 PM

The RGIII fanboys have disappeared. I sure would like to have a talk with them, still can't believe some actually thought his benching was racially motivated.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:19 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,475,339 times
Oh Robert Griffin III. I think his fans should know the real deal about ol' RGIII when the biggest news about him, recently, was that he finally got a haircut. I was a big proponent for RGIII. I felt he could still play if he stayed healthy. I still think he has a shot at making it in the CFL if he chooses to head up there. Doug Flutie was king up in the CFL, which eventually afforded him another shot at playing in the NFL toward the twilight of his football career. But, if he's holding out for another shot in the NFL, I think that door is either closing or has already closed. I see him eventually getting some commentator spot calling games for Baylor. Might be his only shot at being close to the game if he doesn't choose the CFL or some other form of football (arena league?)

Kirk Cousins has proven a lot of his doubters right and wrong. Cousins is definitely a solid, good player. But, there is always a but. Until he has a John Elway moment where it's down to that one drive in a big game with big stakes on the line, and he delivers the W, he's still going to be doubted. I have to say, as much as I love Kirk Cousins, there is still a voice in the back of my head saying that he has more to prove. And he does have more to prove, but I think he's going through all of the mental and physical preparations to get to that point. He's studying the game, he's studying situational football, he's spent time with Tom Brady, he's doing whatever it takes to be the best. He may or may not ever get there, but he's sure going to do whatever it takes to get there, and you can't ask for much more than that.

Talking about the defense though - yes, the defense cost this team many games last season. Cousins cost us the Giants game and the Panthers games, which were two extremely important games that would have put the Redskins in the playoffs had they won. But, Cousins laid an egg in both games. However, had our defense not been so bad throughout the season, Cousins probably wouldn't have had to have worried about the season coming down to those games, because the 'skins would have won enough games to have easily clinched a spot in the playoffs So, having said that, the success of this team will still come down to how much improved is the defense, and, can Kirk Cousins win the big games when the season is on the line? Two story lines to watch for. I expect a little slow start with the offense as Cousins gets more comfortable with Pryor and Doctson, but down the stretch, Cousins has to be the man and the defense has to step up and make plays.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:57 AM

I was one of the last RGIII guys too, right up until his last benching. I never saw Kirk being more than a bit above average and that's a QB just good enough to get you beat in January (Alex Smith, Daulton etc). But Kirk is clearly better than that, or has been anyway. Losing him after this season would be a disaster, only the Redskins would be the only team ever to fail to lock up their QB long term.

Man I just can't get over a defense with Ziggy Hood as the starting NT. When I saw Phil Taylor get hurt I had this sinking feeling that there goes our season. I still have that feeling, I see both of our lines getting beaten all day and Wentz having an easy time of it.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:42 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,475,339 times
Quote:
I was one of the last RGIII guys too, right up until his last benching. I never saw Kirk being more than a bit above average and that's a QB just good enough to get you beat in January (Alex Smith, Daulton etc). But Kirk is clearly better than that, or has been anyway. Losing him after this season would be a disaster, only the Redskins would be the only team ever to fail to lock up their QB long term.

Man I just can't get over a defense with Ziggy Hood as the starting NT. When I saw Phil Taylor get hurt I had this sinking feeling that there goes our season. I still have that feeling, I see both of our lines getting beaten all day and Wentz having an easy time of it.
We'll see. I mean, again, our defense was awful last year, but the team was able to win 8 games. Assuming Pryor and Doctson will be effective receivers for Cousins, a slightly improved defense may be enough to turn the tide on a game or two and push the 'skins to 9 or 10 wins. But then again, they can easily be 6-10 as well. One thing for sure is, nothing is for sure until they hit the field.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:51 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Yep.. And the "backup plan" of Nate Sudfield is gone now as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football