Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 PM

12,979 posts, read 9,688,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Y'all add about as well as y'all spell.

It would have been either 27-26 or 29-26, thus the fg would have tied it.
Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 08:27 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,645,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
This is why I am done hearing about Dez Bryant and whether it was a catch

Because why was that stupid play called on 4th and 2 anyway? Why not throw a 3 yd pass to get the first down and then go for the home run play?
I hate to stir anything up with Dallas fans after a tough loss like that, but as a Packer fan, I thought that was a terrific call and outstanding play (except of course for the loss of control at the end.) Your coaching staff created a perfect matchup - one of your strongest points against one of our weakest. A tall, strong, physical receiver going up for a jump ball against a DB who is 4 inches shorter and almost 40 pounds lighter. I was on two Packer chat boards at the time, and everyone on both of them was saying that that was exactly what they were praying Dallas wouldn't do. The deep pass on short yardage has been Dom Capers' Achilles heel ever since he came to Green Bay; it's one of our biggest vulnerabilities.

It was a perfectly thrown ball, Bryant made an exceptional jump, and Shields had no chance to play the ball before Bryant caught it. When I first saw it, I thought it was a brilliant call and a perfectly executed play. I think that once Dez started to haul it in, Shields fought hard enough to keep him from getting complete control, and that was just enough to make the difference in the end - but if it hadn't been for Sam's heroic effort to disrupt Bryant for an extra split-second, that would have been an absolutely perfect play for our defense.

Against Dom Capers' scheme and our secondary, the deep ball is actually a higher-percentage play for that down and distance. If that had actually worked, it would have been the ballgame, and we would have deserved to lose.

And while I'm at it, I want to take a moment to give some real props to Romo. I admit it; I've never cared much for the guy as a player, and never respected him much. Like a lot of Packer fans, I've been making fun of him and running him down for years. He's got my respect now. He played one hell of a game, and if you guys had won, I'd have been the first to come in here and give him full credit for it. Whatever inconsistencies he may have been notorious for in his earlier years, the man looks to me as though he's finally come into his own. He's got nothing to apologize for tonight, in my opinion.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:33 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,629,224 times
Romo has not been a problem for the Cowboys in a long time. He has had my respect for a few seasons now.

Trying to score quickly there would have potentially bitten the Cowboys because there were over two minutes left still. Way too much time with only a two or three point lead.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,092,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I hate to stir anything up with Dallas fans after a tough loss like that, but as a Packer fan, I thought that was a terrific call and outstanding play (except of course for the loss of control at the end.) Your coaching staff created a perfect matchup - one of your strongest points against one of our weakest. A tall, strong, physical receiver going up for a jump ball against a DB who is 4 inches shorter and almost 40 pounds lighter. I was on two Packer chat boards at the time, and everyone on both of them was saying that that was exactly what they were praying Dallas wouldn't do. The deep pass on short yardage has been Dom Capers' Achilles heel ever since he came to Green Bay; it's one of our biggest vulnerabilities.

It was a perfectly thrown ball, Bryant made an exceptional jump, and Shields had no chance to play the ball before Bryant caught it. When I first saw it, I thought it was a brilliant call and a perfectly executed play. I think that once Dez started to haul it in, Shields fought hard enough to keep him from getting complete control, and that was just enough to make the difference in the end - but if it hadn't been for Sam's heroic effort to disrupt Bryant for an extra split-second, that would have been an absolutely perfect play for our defense.

Against Dom Capers' scheme and our secondary, the deep ball is actually a higher-percentage play for that down and distance. If that had actually worked, it would have been the ballgame, and we would have deserved to lose.

And while I'm at it, I want to take a moment to give some real props to Romo. I admit it; I've never cared much for the guy as a player, and never respected him much. Like a lot of Packer fans, I've been making fun of him and running him down for years. He's got my respect now. He played one hell of a game, and if you guys had won, I'd have been the first to come in here and give him full credit for it. Whatever inconsistencies he may have been notorious for in his earlier years, the man looks to me as though he's finally come into his own. He's got nothing to apologize for tonight, in my opinion.
It was a stupid call and showed why you don't throw a pass like that on 4th down because anything can happen. Get the 1st down first and then go for it all.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:10 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,629,489 times
Murray had already picked up several key short-yardage first downs in the game. Why not feed him again and keep that clock ticking?

There was FOUR minutes for Green Bay at that point. Plus they had two timeouts left plus the 2:00 warning.

Very odd decision to toss the bomb.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,092,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Murray had already picked up several key short-yardage first downs in the game. Why not feed him again and keep that clock ticking?

There was FOUR minutes for Green Bay at that point. Plus they had two timeouts left plus the 2:00 warning.

Which is why I am puzzled when people say coaches don't win games it;s the players? WRONG, stupid coaches decisions is what loses games and the decision to throw a long pass on 4th and 2 is called bad coaching.

If that was a regular season game, maybe not as bad but still would have preferred to get the 1st down first

Old 01-11-2015, 10:16 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,961,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Murray had a good year. But I do think he might be over rated. Yes he won the rushing title but that doesn't necessarily mean he is great. Part of it is that he was on a great team and was given the ball a ton. Six other RB's had a higher ypc average. If he is a FA I certainly would not give him a huge contract.
Agree. He is the product of Jerry spending 3 first round draft picks on offensive lineman. Decent back but not worth a huge contract. What JJ should do is sign the kid from Palestine who will be jettisoned (unjustfully) from his current team.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:14 AM

5,167 posts, read 3,666,911 times
Quote:
Which is why I am puzzled when people say coaches don't win games it;s the players? WRONG, stupid coaches decisions is what loses games and the decision to throw a long pass on 4th and 2 is called bad coaching.

If that was a regular season game, maybe not as bad but still would have preferred to get the 1st down first
Did Romo have any other options on that play? Yes. Was Bryant the only player running a pattern on that play? No, he wasnt. Granted, maybe they should have called a run, but by no means did Romo have to throw deep on that play. Romo saw single coverage on one of the better receivers in the league, he went for it. But he didnt have to throw deep, as there were patterns being run underneath.

I am actually defending Garrett, who I do think is a lousy coach.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:17 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,900,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post

Quote:
It was a stupid call and showed why you don't throw a pass like that on 4th down because anything can happen. Get the 1st down first and then go for it all.
actually the call WAS the right call. why? because green bay was looking for a murray run, and they got good enough penetration to stop the run and get the TO on downs. where as with the pass play, had bryant tucked the ball away and not tried to stretch for the end zone, he would have had full control of the ball when he hit the ground, and dallas would then have been knocking on the door for a go ahead touchdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Did Romo have any other options on that play? Yes. Was Bryant the only player running a pattern on that play? No, he wasnt. Granted, maybe they should have called a run, but by no means did Romo have to throw deep on that play. Romo saw single coverage on one of the better receivers in the league, he went for it. But he didnt have to throw deep, as there were patterns being run underneath.

I am actually defending Garrett, who I do think is a lousy coach.
garrett is a better coach then you give him credit for. his problem early was a lack of experience, and last season he was trying to do too much. this year was his break out season where he let other take care of the day to day stuff, and he put his brand on the team.

he has grown a lot as a head coach, and i think he will be one of the better coaches in the league next year.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:14 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post

I think that is why they made the call. 4 min left, 2 timeouts plus 2 min warning. They had to know it was risky to throw deep there.. I believe they felt they would get 1 more shot with 2 min left and no time outs. Hindsight is 20/20. Had Dez completed the catch, Cowboys run it in to take the lead then and the Defense comes up with a stop then everyone is praising Garrett for such a risky call.

I agree there was simply too much time left, had they scored the chances are Rodgers leads the pack right back down for the win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football