Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 12:01 AM

18,220 posts, read 25,865,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
This about the time the Cowboys took on the label, Next Years Champions...
Agreed. It took Tom Landry a few years but by 1965 he had them playing tough and the next year challenging Green Bay for the NFL title. Every time I think of that phrase I think of Bob Lilly throwing his helmet 25 or so yards down the field after Jim O'Brien kicked that chip shot fb in SB-V.

Bob Lilly-a one man wrecking crew, whew what a player!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 06:05 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Agreed. It took Tom Landry a few years but by 1965 he had them playing tough and the next year challenging Green Bay for the NFL title. Every time I think of that phrase I think of Bob Lilly throwing his helmet 25 or so yards down the field after Jim O'Brien kicked that chip shot fb in SB-V.

One of the things i remember most about those Super Bowls from the 1970s was the sunlight.. As best I can remember, the Super Bowl kicked off around noon up until Super Bowl XII in New Orleans at the Super Dome... That was also the first dome Super Bowl.. Call me crazy but I miss the early kickoffs and sunlight shinning on the field.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:25 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,075 times
Quote:

Yep! He was part of the original Dallas Cowboys Doomsday Defense!

Old 01-07-2015, 08:37 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:
Every time I think of that phrase I think of Bob Lilly throwing his helmet 25 or so yards down the field after Jim O'Brien kicked that chip shot fb in SB-V.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Baltimore/Dallas SuperBowl rematch.

With similar results.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Yep! He was part of the original Dallas Cowboys Doomsday Defense!
Lilly is on the Mount Rushmore of Cowboys along with Landry and Staubach... I don't know that I could name a fourth because there are so many deserving but none more than the 3 listed above.

For those fans who never saw the Landry's Cowboys, The best example of those teams would be Belichick's Patriots... The Patriots of today remind me so much of the Cowboys back then. I appreciate them more an more each year simply because of that fact..

You simply pencil the Patriots nn as contenders every year before the season starts regardless of turnover. Ditto with Landry's Cowboys. I think Belicheck's Patriots need to continue to win divisions and contend for Super Bowls for another 5-10 years to be on par with Landry's Cowboys..because Landry's Cowboys were in the playoffs 18 of 20 years and had a winning record ie. playoff contention, each of those 20 years. Some would say that with free agency, its harder to remain relevant year after year in today's game vs Landry's era and i don't disagree with that. I would counter that Belichick has made his run with 1 QB, Tom Brady and Landry made his run with 4... Meredith, Morton, Staubach and White... but in honesty i think its just nitpicking... I think Landry's teams were better than Belichick's but any one that disagrees has a pretty good argument as well!

20 straight years, make the playoffs 18 times and never have a losing season is unprecedented in any league... ! Throw in 5 Super Bowls and 2 titles...
The Patriots are currently at 14 consecutive winning seasons and 12 of those were playoff years including 5 Super Bowls and 3 Titles! So the Pats are closing fast and I don't see that streak ending until Brady retires and then we will find out just how great a coach Belichick is..

Old 01-07-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a Baltimore/Dallas SuperBowl rematch.

With similar results.
NO>>> bite your tounge.

I am ok with a Colts/Cowboys Super Bowl V rematch but please give me a different outcome!

Old 01-07-2015, 09:06 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:
NO>>> bite your tounge.

I am ok with a Colts/Cowboys Super Bowl V rematch but please give me a different outcome!

I don't want to see a Colts/Cowboys rematch.

I want to see a Baltimore/Dallas rematch.

With the same results, except for the game MVP to be from the WINNING team.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:13 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
i think the cowboys need a new tom landry to coach them, and perhaps jason garrett is that new tom landry. we shall see in a couple more years when he has fully imposed his will on the team.

the thing i really liked about tom landry though was that if you looked at him on the sidelines, but never looked at the score, or heard the game commentary, you would never know how the cowboys were doing as landry had the perfect poker face.

these days too many head coaches get very emotional during the game, and they constantly swing back and forth. give me a head coach who is either quietly intense like landry, or openly intense and constantly coaching like rich rod or sean miller, tough to know how their teams are doing just by watching the coach as well.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I don't want to see a Colts/Cowboys rematch.

I want to see a Baltimore/Dallas rematch.

With the same results, except for the game MVP to be from the WINNING team.
Ahh.. Ravens/Cowboys.. gotcha.. i missed that. I am ok with Romo getting the MVP...

As for Super Bowl V, who from the Winning team was worthy of the MVP ? O'Neil maybe..

Old 01-07-2015, 09:42 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,075 times
Quote:
So the Pats are closing fast and I don't see that streak ending until Brady retires and then we will find out just how great a coach Belichick is..
...unless Belichick decides to get outta town as soon as Brady does!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football