Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 05:11 AM

6,246 posts, read 3,415,245 times

Advertisements

20-17? Not sure that Houston can score that many. But they are at home so any thing can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 06:24 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
20-17? Not sure that Houston can score that many. But they are at home so any thing can happen.
Houston is a pretty good offense. They laid an egg in Baltimore but I don't expect them to do that two weeks in a row. If the Jags can score 17 my guess is the Texans can as well. (and yes, I am aware the hawks played some backups in that game. But we are talking about the Jags here.) I did pick Houston to win this one, but I expect it will be close.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:31 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Houston is a pretty good offense. They laid an egg in Baltimore but I don't expect them to do that two weeks in a row. If the Jags can score 17 my guess is the Texans can as well. (and yes, I am aware the hawks played some backups in that game. But we are talking about the Jags here.) I did pick Houston to win this one, but I expect it will be close.
Jacksonville had -10 yards on three 1st quarter drives

Their first drive of the 2nd quarter made it -13 yards .... seattle scored on their following drive to push the score to 17-0

All in they had 46 yards in the first half and trailed 24-0

In the 2nd half they had a 12 yard drive that resulted in a lost fumble that seattle quickly moved the 33 yards and made it 31-0

Jax next drive was for 38 yards and then a punt ..... a good punt though that put seattle on 2 .... they turned the ball over there and jacksonville scored on a 2 yard drive

Seattle gave RW one more drive - a 3 and out

Jacksonville had a 3 and out that moved them back for -6 yards

Then it was backups from there on out .... Tarvaris made it 38-7 on the next seattle drive and after that it was just getting backups some time and trying to get out of the game healthy

Against the starting seattle defense Jacksonville had the following drives:
  • 2 yards
  • -1 yard
  • -11 yards
  • -3 yards
  • 27 yards
  • 26 yards (int)
  • 6 yards (draw to end the half)
  • 12 yards (fumble)
  • 38 yards
  • 2 yards (TD)
  • -6 yards

So against Seattles starters they had 92 yards on 11 complete drives with 2 TOs, a TD and losing 38-7

Jacksonville did nothing on offense as expected

Houston is a much better team though .... typically if Seattle can score 24 they can win, i don't see houston being that high powered to really shift that dynamic too much .... however, they have a very aggressive defense and seattle has issues on the OL right now ..... if seattle gives them short fields either by 3 & out or by turnovers this could be a tough one ...... they may struggle to score points and cant' afford to get sacked out of scoring range, take penalties or turn the ball over

Should be a good one

Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
typically if Seattle can score 24 they can win, i don't see houston being that high powered to really shift that dynamic too much .... however, they have a very aggressive defense and seattle has issues on the OL right now .....
I don't expect Seattle to match the 12 they scored in Carolina.

Any takers?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

Any takers?
The texans defense is good in terms of yards surrendered, but teams have scored on them. Point totals against the texans are 28, 24, 30. This is because the offense has had a lot of turnovers. Seattle's defense is good at taking the ball away, so they may be able to add a score on defense or at a minimum put their offense in a position to only have to move a short distance to score. I see both teams scoring in the 20s. If the Houston defense gets a takeaway I can even see them cracking 30. More likely, I'll say Texans 28, Seahawks 21.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:28 AM

513 posts, read 696,226 times
Quote:

Any takers?
I picked Hou as my upset for the week, but they'll be putting up more than 12 points

Old 09-27-2013, 10:30 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The texans defense is good in terms of yards surrendered, but teams have scored on them. Point totals against the texans are 28, 24, 30. This is because the offense has had a lot of turnovers. Seattle's defense is good at taking the ball away, so they may be able to add a score on defense or at a minimum put their offense in a position to only have to move a short distance to score. I see both teams scoring in the 20s. If the Houston defense gets a takeaway I can even see them cracking 30. More likely, I'll say Texans 28, Seahawks 21.
field position is going to make a difference

could be another "short" game though like the carolina game where there simply aren't that many series/plays as both teams use the run game and try to keep the ball from hitting the ground

what was interesting with the houston pass defense stats is that they haven't allowed many yards (only behind seattle in this respect) - but the QB rating against is over 90 .... those two don't really seem to add up

Old 09-27-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
field position is going to make a difference

could be another "short" game though like the carolina game where there simply aren't that many series/plays as both teams use the run game and try to keep the ball from hitting the ground

what was interesting with the houston pass defense stats is that they haven't allowed many yards (only behind seattle in this respect) - but the QB rating against is over 90 .... those two don't really seem to add up
QB ratings can be affected by a lot of things though. Such as passing first downs, passing first downs on third down, stuff like that. John Elway once said about rushing yards "how many is not as important as where or when." I think the same is true of passing yards. What wouldyou rather have? A 5 yard pass on 3rd and 4 or a 25 yard pass on 3rd and 26? Not all passing yards are created equal. And so as this relates to the defense, my guess (without even a glance at the Texans situational stats) is they are not stopping the pass on 3rd down, giving td passes in the red zone, etc. Just a guess.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:47 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,296 times
Quote:

Any takers?
I would agree. I think Seattle is going to go down to Houston and pound them. Houston is lucky to not be 0-3.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:00 PM

570 posts, read 721,826 times
Apparently the Seahawks have 3 Olinemen down.... Yeesh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football