Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,733,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
If that game is played in the dome in NO or a neutral field, I bet its a much closer game. But with Seattle most likely to get the #1 seed, I can see them easily winning out at home and skipping into the superbowl.
I don't. Only for the fact that recent history has shown that strong favorites in the NFL Playoffs have lost....

All you have to do is look at Baltimore's play at the Patriots a couple years ago, and last year against the Broncos....same deal. Everyone was gaga over the home team, and look what happened..

Its no different this year with Seattle.

Lets not get extremely giddy yet and understand history......you have to play the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 07:59 AM

14,327 posts, read 14,627,647 times
The last 3 Super Bowls were won by teams that were 10-6 or 9-7, not the teams with great regular season records!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Now of course the fans probably aren't any louder than other team's fans, as its mostly the acoustics of that place. But when they get hyped up and start going nuts, I can't imagine how that doesn't take its toll on the visiting team. Besides just false starts. The advantage Century Link Field gives the Seahawks is borederline unfair LOL.
I was thinking the same thing last night about if that stadium crosses the line. Yes, I believe in home field advantage, but there's a problem when a center can't even hear the qb. I remember 'speaker-gate' when Favre & the Packers would play at the Metrodome & they frequently had trouble hearing plays. Besides the loud fans, the Vikings were pumping in extra noise through speakers placed by the Packers bench.
CNN/SI - NFL Football - Holmgren complains to NFL about Metrodome noise - Thursday December 03, 1998 03:21 PM

Sadly, I imagine new stadiums will either follow Century Links design or the NFL will go back to where they allow the QB to request the ref to quiet the fans down & if the fans don't cooperate the home team will get a penalty.-
Silverdome Crowd Noise - YouTube

Old 12-03-2013, 09:17 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,733,134 times
If Seattle wasn't any good, this wouldn't be an issue.....

You guys complaining that 'something should be done' are going down the wrong path...

Should we 'ban' lambeau field because its too cold?

How about banning playing in South Florida because its too hot for linemen?

Where does this end?

You want to fix this? Just outplay the darn home team.....very simple.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:23 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I was thinking the same thing last night about if that stadium crosses the line. Yes, I believe in home field advantage, but there's a problem when a center can't even hear the qb. I remember 'speaker-gate' when Favre & the Packers would play at the Metrodome & they frequently had trouble hearing plays. Besides the loud fans, the Vikings were pumping in extra noise through speakers placed by the Packers bench.
CNN/SI - NFL Football - Holmgren complains to NFL about Metrodome noise - Thursday December 03, 1998 03:21 PM

Sadly, I imagine new stadiums will either follow Century Links design or the NFL will go back to where they allow the QB to request the ref to quiet the fans down & if the fans don't cooperate the home team will get a penalty.-
Silverdome Crowd Noise - YouTube
Nope, those days are long gone regarding requesting officials to quiet the crowd- the NFL LIKES environments like Centurylink field, it is a sign of passion in a fan base, it is a storyline, it is something exciting for TV broadcasters to talk about and something exciting to showcase on TV. The NFL would like it if more stadiums became this way.

The whole point of home field advantage is things like this, to be able to make the visiting team's center unable to hear the qb, to make the other linemen and receivers unable to hear the qb when he is trying to audible, etc. It is an exciting part of the game, it is one reason a team would want so badly to try to get home field advantage.
And this is not unique to Seattle- look at college football- there are many, many stadiums with that same noise "issue" where players on the field cannot even hear themselves think when the home team is on defense. I am originally from Nebraska and have been to countless games back there- that has always been the situation there for decades. Same thing goes to an extent right here in Seattle at Husky Stadium. The NCAA embraces that kind of passion, it is a part of the game, a part of the atmosphere, and encourages that kind of crowd participation. That seems to be the same line of thinking the NFL has these days as well.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
the NFL LIKES environments like Centurylink field, it is a storyline, it is something exciting for TV broadcasters to talk about and something exciting to showcase on TV. The NFL would like it if more stadiums became this way.
That's true. Good point.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:08 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I don't. Only for the fact that recent history has shown that strong favorites in the NFL Playoffs have lost....

All you have to do is look at Baltimore's play at the Patriots a couple years ago, and last year against the Broncos....same deal. Everyone was gaga over the home team, and look what happened..

Its no different this year with Seattle.

Lets not get extremely giddy yet and understand history......you have to play the game.
Right. People thinks the only reason Seattle wins is because they play at home , because the opposing teams all of a sudden loses all the power to win, becoming sort of paralyzed because of the noise...lol.
Seattle wins on the road as well. How do they do that? Can it have something to do with being a great team?
Historically, Seattle has not been a good team at all but the last few years it has that turned. Like somebody else said, they have had ship on their shoulder from years of being one of the most underrated team in the league with absolutely no respect from anybody. I think some people are so pissed about their success, and how this team who used to be a nobody all of a sudden is kicking every bodies ass so the excuses for their success starts to pour in.
Im not sure who has the best record this season for winning on the road..... but isn't Seattle way up there? Again, how is that possible?

Old 12-03-2013, 11:09 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,114,351 times
Oh, I've got no problem at all with the noise. I think its awesome.

Seattle is one helluva team, and I with homefield advantage, I see them steamrolling their way to the superbowl.

Seattle has done a great job this season, shutting down a high powered offense in the Saints. But outside new orleans, the Seahawks haven't really played an offensive juggernaut like they might face in the superbowl, Peyton Manning's Broncos. I would LOVE to see Peyton vs Dan Quinn in the Meadowlands this coming February.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:19 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Seattle did win over the Broncos in the pre-season game in Denver. But that doesn't count. That was only the pre season.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Seattle did win over the Broncos in the pre-season game in Denver. But that doesn't count. That was only the pre season.
That game was in Seattle.

I don't know why people are suddenly complaining about the noise up there. What are the fans supposed to do, apologize for their team being good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football