Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 10:08 PM

6,246 posts, read 3,415,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Recent history isn't on their side because all but 2 of the #1 seeds dating back 10 years have failed to win it all. That in itself doesn't mean anything.... they should feel just as good playing at home as all the #1 seeds who choked.
Funny thing happen on the way to the stadium...history doesn't win games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Funny thing happen on the way to the stadium...history doesn't win games.
Does that mean you discount the Seahawk's home field advantage since all those games they won at home are history?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:17 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Well, home field is important no matter what team your referring to. It does NOT guarantee a Super Bowl berth but it does make the path easier. Every team wants home field and those who get it, should feel very good about it. Just not so good they forget that they still have to go out and win the game.
It's *an* advantage, but it's one of the most overrated advantages mentioned in football. Sure, the noise is a factor in terms of calling in plays, but a team can practice enough to overcome it, and if they score early, they can take the crowd out of the game. Good teams find ways to beat teams that self-destruct in the loudest of stadiums -- ask Minnesota Vikings fans (1998 against Atlanta). It's not like home field in baseball's World Series, in which outfielders have to get used to stadium dimensions, infielders have to know how the ball rolls on the grass, and pitchers have to be mindful of how to pitch - within a span of two or three games. There's no real home field advantage per se in football, other than just noise.

Seattle's got the talent to do it, or at least they did at the start of the season. But you can see a Pete Carroll-coached team at work here, with its noise, it's trash talk, and...it's mental gaffes and lack of discipline. I think Richard Sherman's attitude is very real and telling. The Seahawks aren't really convinced that the 49ers won that game, and I'm sure they're going to be cocky as hell if and when they meet up again in Seattle. I think that's going to be their undoing. Wouldn't be surprised to see New Orleans go up into Seattle and stun them, if San Francisco doesn't happen to get there. I know, I know...the Saints got their @sses handed to them. That's the problem for Seattle - they're going to get too confident.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Coffee View Post
So because they sometimes make dumb mistakes, they shouldn't feel good about playing at home where they haven't lost in 2 years? I don't understand this.
Feeling good about playing at home is going to work against Seattle. For other teams that are more mature and can handle success, playing at home is just a measure of added confidence. For Seattle, it's going to be their undoing. They're going to lose at home in the NFC Championship.

I look at Detroit as another example, like Seattle except worse. An incredibly talented team, with a coach that players like. But they're not playing for a guy who brings out the very best in the team. They tolerate stupidity. In Detroit's case they tolerate extreme stupidity. Seattle's better, but they're going to choke. Even if San Francisco had lost yesterday, I'd still give SF a great chance to go in and beat up Seattle in front of their home fans. If these two teams that played yesterday meet again in January, trust me, San Francisco will win. Colin Kaepernick will get his signature win, and SF will most likely play Denver in the Super Bowl.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:21 AM

570 posts, read 721,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Feeling good about playing at home is going to work against Seattle. For other teams that are more mature and can handle success, playing at home is just a measure of added confidence. For Seattle, it's going to be their undoing. They're going to lose at home in the NFC Championship.

I look at Detroit as another example, like Seattle except worse. An incredibly talented team, with a coach that players like. But they're not playing for a guy who brings out the very best in the team. They tolerate stupidity. In Detroit's case they tolerate extreme stupidity. Seattle's better, but they're going to choke. Even if San Francisco had lost yesterday, I'd still give SF a great chance to go in and beat up Seattle in front of their home fans. If these two teams that played yesterday meet again in January, trust me, San Francisco will win. Colin Kaepernick will get his signature win, and SF will most likely play Denver in the Super Bowl.
Guaranteed?

Old 12-10-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Guaranteed?
I'll save the guarantee for later. I wanna make sure SF's healthy enough to get there first, but yeah, if they're healthy enough to get there, I would be pretty confident in SF's ability to go in, punch Seattle in the balls, and take their lunch money from them. Seattle's kinda like the bully - they think they're all that but stand up to 'em and watch the snot start running down their noses.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'll save the guarantee for later. I wanna make sure SF's healthy enough to get there first, but yeah, if they're healthy enough to get there, I would be pretty confident in SF's ability to go in, punch Seattle in the balls, and take their lunch money from them. Seattle's kinda like the bully - they think they're all that but stand up to 'em and watch the snot start running down their noses.
Funny. This is how I see the 49er team

Playoffs should be fun.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Funny. This is how I see the 49er team

Playoffs should be fun.
This is classic.

Seattle fans running smack about the 49ers. I remember last year how Seattle was taunting the 49er fan base and looking forward to a showdown in the NFC title game -- except that it didn't happen because the gum chewer in chief didn't have them prepped and ready to go against an Atlanta team that SF absolutely steamrolled. lol!

Wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat this year. Seattle's so busy concentrating on SF that New Orleans will come back and get revenge on them in Sea-Tac. Or the Panthers, for all we know.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:03 AM

Doubt it. If NO comes back to SEA before SF does, then I'm positive they'll be 100% focused on NO.

Last edited by Iced Coffee; 12-10-2013 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: B

Old 12-10-2013, 04:12 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,431,220 times
No more overated team in sports right now. +260 to win the Superbowl. Too funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football