Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 11:00 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
Recent history doesn't bear that out.

The last two years the two teams have split regular seaon meetings, each winning at home.

The difference is, SF ekes out wins in SF, while Seattle pounds SF when they play in Seattle.
SF got pounded in Seattle earlier this year when a lot of their weapons were on the sidelines. Kaepernick's beginning to make the transition into a more well-rounded QB. The only question at this point is health: I just wonder if Frank Gore can hold up for the remainder of the season. He's got 1000+ yards, but he's an aging runner and he's been asked to do more than he probably planned on doing at the end of last season, and he's no doubt paying a physical toll for that. If SF can run the ball with Gore and a more active and mobile Kaep, then I think they'll win. A part of me suspects that Harbaugh and Roman are saving their bag of tricks for the playoffs, anticipating that they'll get in. They're also probably trying to do what they can to make sure that Kaep stays healthy now that they don't have Alex Smith to back him up anymore.

I think Seattle's a good team, but they're a team that occasionally lacks focus and discipline, and that's going to catch up to them. The declining NY Giants won't expose Seattle, but San Francisco will -- if they're healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
As much as I hate the Seahawks (their coach, fans, team) & it kills me to say this, but I don't see them having much difficulty in the playoffs playing at home. I hope I'm wrong & they lose their first game. I figured that some NFC team would get hot heading into the playoffs, but the NFC still seems so weak this year minus the Seahawks & possibly the 49ers & Saints. Panthers lack playoff experience. But you never know. Look at the Ravens last year. They lost like 4 or 5 straight games heading into the playoffs & then went on to beat the #1 & #2 seeds on the road in the playoffs & eventually beat the NFC #2 seed in the super bowl.

I do not see the Seahawks winning the super bowl though. Hard to tell at this point.
Home field doesn't win championships. SF had home field against the NY Giants, and the Giants just went in their house and mugged them at gunpoint. Winning a Super Bowl comes down to which team goes out and establishes physical dominance. Look at the teams that have made it to the Super Bowl the last few years: Baltimore (road), SF (road); NY Giants (road); and Green Bay Packers (road). The Giants won in 2007 as a road team. The Steelers won in 2005 as a road team. Pats in 2004. It goes on and on. Home field is usually an indication that the team is good enough to earn home field, but to rely on it as some sort of advantage is a folly. It actually is a home field advantage in a sport like baseball, where one team plays in an unusually configured ball park 81 times compared to the visiting team which may have only played there a handful of times, if at all. But in football, home field is basically crowd noise, and that can easily be dealt with by the visiting team.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I was just listening yesterday to the Seattle ESPN 710AM radio show and despite the flaws that were pointed out such as the offensive line and Lynch's low rushing output the last 4-5 games, too many FG's instead of TD's in the red zone... the penalties... etc etc... the conversation was ended with "doesn't matter, they are winning despite these issues and they won't lose at home."
Yeah, they're beating the Eli Manning interception machine despite making silly mistakes. Pete Carroll is good at creating team chemistry, but his teams lack discipline, and he doesn't really have the attention to detail that is required to take a team all the way. The 49ers got Aldon Smith back and Justin Smith's playing like a mad dog. They're going to get physical with Seattle. They're going to rough them up at home, and I don't think Seattle's going to know how to respond.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:44 PM

570 posts, read 721,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Yeah, they're beating the Eli Manning interception machine despite making silly mistakes. Pete Carroll is good at creating team chemistry, but his teams lack discipline, and he doesn't really have the attention to detail that is required to take a team all the way. The 49ers got Aldon Smith back and Justin Smith's playing like a mad dog. They're going to get physical with Seattle. They're going to rough them up at home, and I don't think Seattle's going to know how to respond.
You're really high on them 49ers, eh? What happens if they come into Seattle and lose? Or get knocked in the WC?

Old 12-18-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Coffee View Post
You're really high on them 49ers, eh? What happens if they come into Seattle and lose? Or get knocked in the WC?
If the 49ers are injured, yeah, they'll lose. If they're at full strength, I'm confident that they'll win. I don't think they'll destroy necessarily - they'll have to struggle for every point they can get. But I think they're set up to win those dogfights this year. More to the point, Seattle's going to choke on their cockiness.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:15 AM

570 posts, read 721,826 times
Okay man

Old 12-18-2013, 08:08 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
What?...Pete Caroll has 2 Nattys won in College as head coach (despite the NCAA removing one), won the the Division year as head coach of SeaHawks. He must have "attention to detail" or he would be coaching some college team in the Mountain West.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:35 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Things people said about the hawks

Can't win in the road
Doesn't have what it takes
Can't play in the cold
Loud obnoxious fans........
No discipline
Bad coach
And so on......

It really hurts.........

Old 12-18-2013, 11:09 AM

6,246 posts, read 3,415,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Things people said about the hawks

Can't win in the road
Doesn't have what it takes
Can't play in the cold
Loud obnoxious fans........
No discipline
Bad coach
And so on......

It really hurts.........
You forgot one thing....12-2

Old 12-18-2013, 11:21 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
You forgot one thing....12-2
Oh yea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football