Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:35 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,691,691 times

Advertisements

It's much easier to fit into modern society and play the game than to go your own way, grow your own foods from scratch and be totally self sufficient (which takes more work in every conceivable way) so my advice is find a job you enjoy and get on with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 09:03 AM

24 posts, read 35,388 times
Move to Portland

Old 02-24-2014, 09:34 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless In The City View Post
Move to Portland
Why do you suggest Portland? Care to share, since it's on my bucket list?

Old 02-24-2014, 09:39 AM

n/a posts
It's the place young people go to retire....

Looking for a different job now, BTW.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:22 PM

24 posts, read 35,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
This

Old 02-24-2014, 12:48 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,245,457 times
I'm so glad I'm not alone~!

The workforce brought me to my knees, 2.5 years ago I had a breakdown and havent worked since, largely because I was bullied (by management) and now have some sort of PTSD that is not resolving.

I have been abused for not working by people, to my face. Once I had a high flying career and was considered "smart", now people just figure I'm brain dead or something and fair game for whatever anger issues they have.

Just because I no longer have a "title" and a pay packet.

I'm still me.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:37 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
It's much easier to fit into modern society and play the game than to go your own way, grow your own foods from scratch and be totally self sufficient (which takes more work in every conceivable way) so my advice is find a job you enjoy and get on with it.
Yep. It's called "division of labor". Wonderful invention. It's romantic to imagine the old pioneers and homesteaders had a "simple" life. "Primitive" is a better word, and they worked their fingers literally to the bone and died young, often in baroque ways.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post

Looking for a different job now, BTW.
Young people can "retire" in any city though.... get a part time job at a grocery store or a fast food restaurant get a 2 bedroom apartment and find a room mate or two to help pay rent.

this is what i do and we still have plenty of money left over to play with.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:54 AM

251 posts, read 341,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Young people can "retire" in any city though.... get a part time job at a grocery store or a fast food restaurant get a 2 bedroom apartment and find a room mate or two to help pay rent.

this is what i do and we still have plenty of money left over to play with.
good stuff. more people should embrace underemployement as a lifestyle. As long as you don't have kids and live simply you can do OK financially. But you have to take responsability and adjust your lifestyle. Please remember to SAVE some of that left over "play money".

Old 02-25-2014, 06:25 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
good stuff. more people should embrace underemployement as a lifestyle. As long as you don't have kids and live simply you can do OK financially. But you have to take responsability and adjust your lifestyle. Please remember to SAVE some of that left over "play money".
Yes, there are times I would like to close my consultancy and do something mindless like flip burgers and live in a loft apartment (no roomies, thanks, too old for that s__t). Alas, I have a wife, and between us a couple of kids who aren't "launching" properly, and nowhere near enough put away for retirement, thanks in large part to uninsured experimental and off-label health care expenses trying unsuccessfully to keep my prior wife alive.

Besides, I have to remember that as a dude I like the feeling of providing for my family, and they keep my head out of my butt. Everything is a tradeoff.

If you are in a situation to try such a lifestyle, go for it. But also remember it depends on you being able bodied and employable enough as I doubt even a disciplined single person will ever build up any real reserves on low wage jobs. I guess in this economy there will always be grocery boys being hired, Wal Mart stock clerks, etc., but if you ever want to go beyond that, and most people eventually will, you're not going to be very impressive or seem very motivated to an employer further up the food chain. Did I say that everything is a tradeoff? Yes, I guess I did :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology