Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 02:24 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,672 times

Advertisements

I hate my job too and corporate America. I wish there was another way. It makes me miserable every day: dealing with stupid people and boring tasks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 02:25 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,083,845 times
OP...no obligation to work, or otherwise be productive for yourself or 'society'. Enjoy the last month of your life. You can probably stay alive that long on free public water.

Society takes a broader approach to this dilemma. Look at Health Care for example. Many people don't wish to work/pay, but they appreciate the resource when they don't feel well. New legislation has eliminated that conundrum. You work and buy health insurance, or you don't get health care.

Quite honestly, I am fine with that. My costs will go down, and the folks who don't wish to work in order to care for themselves have an option as well.

We're all happy. Some are just not alive to appreciate their good fortune.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:28 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Hanna Horvath? Is that you?

Old 02-03-2014, 02:52 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Hey, if you can earn money without actually doing any work, more power to you!
This isn't the same thing, but you might want to consider investing in "blue chip" companies that give dividends. You won't become rich by any means but over time it is possible that you can get away with doing less work if that is what you want.

A Recent Pullback Could Mean 40% Upside For This Stock | Investing Answers

Old 02-03-2014, 03:35 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
You could decide to do something you enjoy for a living. You'd like earn less, but you can live.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:39 PM

874 posts, read 1,649,183 times
Go to a deserted area where there are trees to build a small, one-room home, with a river near by for water and livestock that you can eat for food. Sell your home, your TV, your computer, your furniture, your car, your jewelry, and then you'll just rely on yourself for everything, not stores for every need. You are now not a slave to the "working force" in the present society and your tears are now gone from that horrid job you had to endure.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:28 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
Go to a deserted area where there are trees to build a small, one-room home, with a river near by for water and livestock that you can eat for food. Sell your home, your TV, your computer, your furniture, your car, your jewelry, and then you'll just rely on yourself for everything, not stores for every need. You are now not a slave to the "working force" in the present society and your tears are now gone from that horrid job you had to endure.

Read the book: Into The Wild or the article the book was based on here:
Death of an Innocent: Christopher McCandless

Old 02-03-2014, 04:40 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
Guest: I hear you. You sound a lot like I was and have been most of my life. People like us are thinkers, maybe dreamers, "jack of all trades". I got into corporate life about 13 years ago, but I still have a hard time with it. I think we're just at odds with the American "capitalist" mentality. It doesn't suit our personality. It doesn't mean we're lazy or stupid, it just means this culture is not set up to reward someone like us. If you can find a job where you're doing something you love, that's really the way to go. We just have one life, so we need to make the most of it, and slaving away to put money in other people's pockets isn't my idea of the proper life.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:49 PM

830 posts, read 1,539,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think it's a fantasy to think people were "more free" in the past. There really was no culture of leisure for many people until after the industrial revolution, and even then it was by no means universal. People are more free now, in that if we want to eat, we don't have hunt or grow our own food; if we want to be sheltered, we don't have to build our own houses; if we want to be warm, we don't have to chop down trees and stoke our own fires. You can argue that people are slaves to money, but I'd rather exchange money for goods and services (and exchange my time and skills for money at my job) than be a slave to hard labor.
Oh, I agree with you 100%. I didn't mean to suggest that early humans didn't have to work extremely hard or die. By "more free" I just meant that didn't have the particular kind of responsibilities we have now - having to be somewhere at a certain time for, in many cases, a specific period of time, monitored to one degree or another, etc.. They were "free" of some modern responsibilities, but EVERYTHING - the many many conveniences we take for granted - fell on their shoulders, which I why I said they were in constant danger (at risk of starving, freezing, being eaten, etc..)

In theory one could still live that way... run off into the forest and attempt to live off the land. But I think most people would agree with you that working for a living is a much easier life.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:59 PM

128 posts, read 177,846 times
OP, That's the way the world is.You sound so negative about work and life in general. Be glad you're healthy enough to work! There are a lot of opportunities and options. Find something that you would gladly volunteer to do. Find your passion. It won't seem like work at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology