Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 11:23 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post

I went through a pregnancy scare with an ex girlfriend and I have never been so motivated to work in my life. I couldn't sit down for a week.

And it's only been a couple times I've cried..not daily.
In that case, I agree with oh-eve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 11:33 AM

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
what your 'degree'?
something considered useless as it doesn't pay out easily, clearly, or even at all.
I had fun...wish I hadn't been brainwashed into thinking spending all that money for fun was a good idea, though. spilt milk at this point.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:54 AM

313 posts, read 497,176 times
There are millions of jobs out there, an infinite way to get what you want from life... and I'm presuming you're in the United States? The only limitations are your own imagination. I know people who live only on bartering. They've bartered everything they have, if they need food, they barter, shelter, they barter. They don't deal with money.

Seeing that this is the internet, you can find communities like this. You'd probably be really happy there and find people who have like mind like you. NOTHING is wrong with you. Not everyone is made for the 9-5 with two days off to spend with family and two weeks of vacation a year. I'd say most people weren't made that way.

You're so young. You can do ANYTHING with your life. Start doing research, move to the place that will help you achieve these goals, because honestly, you can do it. This is coming from a 30 year old who has had about 10 jobs and 2 careers in the past 10 years!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:58 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Grow up, stop the self pity, get off the weed and get your arse to work.
eh, another forum poster that blames all of society's problems on weed.

Quote:
Women don't want to date somebody who is unemployed.
obviously you have never watched judge judy

Old 02-03-2014, 12:05 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,798 times
Sorry, I skipped to the end, but how do you feed and clothe yourself at this time? Where do you live?

Old 02-03-2014, 12:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Quote:
I'm really confused as to why I must give up my time to another in order to be able to eat, live, and clothe myself. I'm on this giant ball with a bunch of other monkeys...and one day I will not be here at all...my time is slowly passing me by, leading me to inevitable nothingness...and you think for one second I'm going to allow any person or any group of people dictate what I must do with my time? It doesn't make sense to me that I have to spend half of my waking life doing something I don't want to do...in a routine...or else I'll be relegated to the streets...hungry, dirty and cold.

Don't get me wrong...I can be a hard worker..but it's on my terms, doing what I want, and getting money because of it has never been the goal. I rather wake up and read...or visit friends and family...or spend time with my wife...or write...or try to solve a problem...or anticipate one...or come to a realization, learn something..or meditate. I even like to think on how to cure cancer, or eradicate homelessness, or eliminate poverty. That's what I like to do, but I like to do those things when and how I want to, and not have them as responsibilities tied to me not eating if I don't.

So explain it to me why I don't get to live the life I want to live.

I've almost killed myself because of this...being told how I must live my life, or else end up homeless, up hungry and cold. I just can't bring myself to not live every second of my life exactly how I want to and when backed into a corner, I've nearly ended it.

I'm 24. Degreed. Have a business. Internship experience. And working experience. So, I'm not lazy. Or maybe I am...

I just don't want to do something I don't want to do for the next 40 years of my life. I mean, I'm dying here...I need to live my life. It's the only chance I'll get to, and someone dare make it so that I can't?

I hate it. I've shown up to work with tears streaming from my face, I hate it so much.

Advice? Other than go to a shrink and swallow a bunch of happy pills? This is no life at all.
You basically might just quit then once you really get hungary all that I don't want to fade away.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
I'm really confused as to why I must give up my time to another in order to be able to eat, live, and clothe myself. I'm on this giant ball with a bunch of other monkeys...and one day I will not be here at all...my time is slowly passing me by, leading me to inevitable nothingness...and you think for one second I'm going to allow any person or any group of people dictate what I must do with my time? It doesn't make sense to me that I have to spend half of my waking life doing something I don't want to do...in a routine...or else I'll be relegated to the streets...hungry, dirty and cold.

Don't get me wrong...I can be a hard worker..but it's on my terms, doing what I want, and getting money because of it has never been the goal. I rather wake up and read...or visit friends and family...or spend time with my wife...or write...or try to solve a problem...or anticipate one...or come to a realization, learn something..or meditate. I even like to think on how to cure cancer, or eradicate homelessness, or eliminate poverty. That's what I like to do, but I like to do those things when and how I want to, and not have them as responsibilities tied to me not eating if I don't.

So explain it to me why I don't get to live the life I want to live.

I've almost killed myself because of this...being told how I must live my life, or else end up homeless, up hungry and cold. I just can't bring myself to not live every second of my life exactly how I want to and when backed into a corner, I've nearly ended it.

I'm 24. Degreed. Have a business. Internship experience. And working experience. So, I'm not lazy. Or maybe I am...

I just don't want to do something I don't want to do for the next 40 years of my life. I mean, I'm dying here...I need to live my life. It's the only chance I'll get to, and someone dare make it so that I can't?

I hate it. I've shown up to work with tears streaming from my face, I hate it so much.

Advice? Other than go to a shrink and swallow a bunch of happy pills? This is no life at all.
Sooo.... live your life the way you want.

You don't have to work at a job that you don't want. You're single... you aren't married. You don't have to provide for anyone but yourself.

Sooo... find something you like doing that will bring you joy.

You don't need much to live on when you're only taking care of yourself.

If you live in a place with a high cost of living, move to a place that you enjoy that has a lower cost of living. Find what makes you happy.

Nobody says you have to toil away to make X dollars to afford X amount of "stuff."

Become a beach bum someplace if you enjoy that sort of thing. You're free and independent. Enjoy yourself.

As long as you don't expect anyone else to toil away to pick up the slack for you, then you're free to do whatever you want within the confines of the law, yanno?

Old 02-03-2014, 12:21 PM

830 posts, read 1,539,241 times
I haven't read all the many replies, so this general idea may have been mentioned.

I'm a professional with an undergraduate degree and advanced degree from top institutions. And yeah, sometimes in passing I think about how "crazy" it is that we spend the majority of our waking hours working/commuting, just so we can afford to live... which means working. Basically we're working so we can afford to keep working, with some smaller amount of time actually doing enjoyable non-work. We're also working to make money so we can afford to live with fewer constraints later on... when we're past our prime and can't enjoy life as much as we could at a younger age.

This is, at base, what most working people do. And yes, most people, even those who have attained a fair amount of autonomy at work, ultimately have to follow rules set by someone else. One's perspective on the matter would certainly shift if the work were enjoyable, so that it didn't really feel like work. But even most professionals who do challenging work don't feel that way about their work. Few people would do their jobs for free.

But this is just the way it is now. No, it wasn't always so, but the alternative was to live in the woods or in a cave or on the plains and forage for food and fight off predators. People may have been more free, but in constant danger. If you have some sort of solution, short of winning the lottery (which is obviously not a true solution to the overall "problem") then I'd like to hear it.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:28 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,687 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? I work...I mean, it's either that or the streets. But that's not the issue.

I just want to be happy as well.

I don't want to cry in the morning anymore.

I don't want to hate everything like I do.

It's not a life, man. It's just not a life.
I'm sure pipefitters, oil drillers, cops, firemen, farmers, bricklayers, and steel walkers aren't so fond of the rigorous and sometimes dangerous nature of their jobs--certainly more rigorous and dangerous than office workers who push money and information to and fro--don't like every aspect of their jobs and they don't cry about it, not to mention the majority of Americans that don't love their jobs yet still have to work, but don't show up to work crying.

1) Seek therapy.
2) Try as hard as you can to earn a living doing what you love. If you can't do that, you will have to continue to work despite hating it to support yourself and learn to accept it. In other words, tough ----!
3) You are not special and obviously not one of the tiny privileged minority of this earth.
4) The notion that one MUST love his or her job is bull--- and the person who made up this concept is an moron!

Old 02-03-2014, 12:31 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post

But this is just the way it is now. No, it wasn't always so, but the alternative was to live in the woods or in a cave or on the plains and forage for food and fight off predators. People may have been more free, but in constant danger. If you have some sort of solution, short of winning the lottery (which is obviously not a true solution to the overall "problem") then I'd like to hear it.
I think it's a fantasy to think people were "more free" in the past. There really was no culture of leisure for many people until after the industrial revolution, and even then it was by no means universal. People are more free now, in that if we want to eat, we don't have hunt or grow our own food; if we want to be sheltered, we don't have to build our own houses; if we want to be warm, we don't have to chop down trees and stoke our own fires. You can argue that people are slaves to money, but I'd rather exchange money for goods and services (and exchange my time and skills for money at my job) than be a slave to hard labor.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-03-2014 at 12:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology