Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 06:53 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,001 times

Advertisements

Happiness comes from within. I never have liked any of the jobs Ive worked but smile all day every day. Happiness is a choice I make from moment to moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 06:55 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius

Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 PM

355 posts, read 1,230,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I'm really confused as to why I must give up my time to another in order to be able to eat, live, and clothe myself. I'm on this giant ball with a bunch of other monkeys...and one day I will not be here at all...my time is slowly passing me by, leading me to inevitable nothingness...and you think for one second I'm going to allow any person or any group of people dictate what I must do with my time? It doesn't make sense to me that I have to spend half of my waking life doing something I don't want to do...in a routine...or else I'll be relegated to the streets...hungry, dirty and cold.

Don't get me wrong...I can be a hard worker..but it's on my terms, doing what I want, and getting money because of it has never been the goal. I rather wake up and read...or visit friends and family...or spend time with my wife...or write...or try to solve a problem...or anticipate one...or come to a realization, learn something..or meditate. I even like to think on how to cure cancer, or eradicate homelessness, or eliminate poverty. That's what I like to do, but I like to do those things when and how I want to, and not have them as responsibilities tied to me not eating if I don't.

So explain it to me why I don't get to live the life I want to live.

I've almost killed myself because of this...being told how I must live my life, or else end up homeless, up hungry and cold. I just can't bring myself to not live every second of my life exactly how I want to and when backed into a corner, I've nearly ended it.

I'm 24. Degreed. Have a business. Internship experience. And working experience. So, I'm not lazy. Or maybe I am...

I just don't want to do something I don't want to do for the next 40 years of my life. I mean, I'm dying here...I need to live my life. It's the only chance I'll get to, and someone dare make it so that I can't?

I hate it. I've shown up to work with tears streaming from my face, I hate it so much.

Advice? Other than go to a shrink and swallow a bunch of happy pills? This is no life at all.
Find your passion in life. What use to interest you as a kid, but you strayed away from? I quit my job working as an Internet Marketer to pursue music. If you are bright enough to start and run your own business, then you can find something that you actually LIKE and find a way to make a living doing it. I am also like you; I cannot see myself doing a job that I hate for the rest of my life; and guess what, most people on this forum will tell you to take it and suck it up, and that's life, but they are probably miserable themselves. You have a choice, you are still young. What do you like to do?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
OP...no obligation to work, or otherwise be productive for yourself or 'society'. Enjoy the last month of your life. You can probably stay alive that long on free public water.

Society takes a broader approach to this dilemma. Look at Health Care for example. Many people don't wish to work/pay, but they appreciate the resource when they don't feel well. New legislation has eliminated that conundrum. You work and buy health insurance, or you don't get health care.

Quite honestly, I am fine with that. My costs will go down, and the folks who don't wish to work in order to care for themselves have an option as well.

We're all happy. Some are just not alive to appreciate their good fortune.
What exactly do you mean by this? People were turned down for healthcare before the ACA was in place. Or do you mean they can now be turned down at ER's?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:31 PM

541 posts, read 860,875 times
Quote:
..or write...or try to solve a problem...or anticipate one...or come to a realization, learn something..or meditate. I even like to think on how to cure cancer, or eradicate homelessness, or eliminate poverty. That's what I like to do, but I like to do those things when and how I want to, and not have them as responsibilities tied to me not eating if I don't.
If you can find a career doing the things you love doing, and earn enough so you can pay your bills and not be hungry or homeless, then don't worry what others expect of you. You will have to spend the free time you have now to cultivate your interests into creating a career that can earn you a living. When you're successful you can do those things any time you choose because you're in charge.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:32 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
I don't give a crap about money and I resent being forced to. Pieces of metal and sheets of paper that I can't make, yet that I need to live? That's garbage. I don't accept.

My focus right now is on finding a wife.

Why doesn't the world just let me live my life and trust I'll contribute to it in my own way? Instead, why does it want to make me hungry, cold, and destitute if I don't do as it wants me to? Who is making those rules? And what makes him think he gets to?

Someone may die because of this. Me. Or someone.

It is harder work finding and keeping a wife than it is going to work a job you hate everyday.
You may want to refocus your thinking or rethink your current focus.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:41 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
While I feel that the OP is grossly oversimplifying things, I have to agree with the point that the emergence of the "Orwellian workplace", with the "opportunity" for much stronger micromanagement via cybernetic monitoring, is killing a lot of individual initiative, and at an earlier stage in the typical career.

In theory, if our per capita GNP increases by 100 per cent over a twenty-year span, a person ought to be able to live just as well working half the time, as they would be able to live twice as well woking the same amount of time. But we all know that that doesn't happen in the real-world marketplace. The desire for security, which naturally increase with advancing age, is likely still the biggest contributor to this paradox.

But it also needs to be pointed out that once a person has the basic necessities of adequate food and shelter, the next of their wants likely involves direct access to somebody else's time and attention, and while the basics can, at least to some degree, be delivered more efficiently, the indulgence of the foibles of the individual customer plays an increasing role in a deindustrialized, service-oriented economy. We're all for personal service for ourselves, and for keeping the customer satisfied -- until we're the one on the receiving end of the slow-paced customer who takes three times to articulate what we could handle quickly if the wants and objectives were stipulated in writing, not to mention the needless chit-chat and "pictures of the grandchildren".

I can definitely recognize the change over the 47 years I've participated in the labor force; and I can only advise young people entering the job market to follow Alexander Pope's advice that "all our knowledge is ourselves to know" before pursuing a career that might one day feel like a cross between Junior High and the County Jail.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-03-2014 at 07:49 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,814 times
I share your sentiment. I want a life that is natural for a human being. I want to grow my own food and live off my own land, build my own home, work on those as needed and when I choose to do so. Watch the sun rise and set, eat apples straight from the tree. I don't really care about these materialistic things that people work so unnecessarily hard to get because they are meaningless in the end. They're merely extra luxuries and not necessities.

Humans lived for 300 thousand years on the land, lavishly, and they lived and died with dignity, not tied to *things*. As far as we have "evolved". The work that was done was actually productive, because we built our own homes from what was around us wherever we happened to be and traveled at will by nature because we're naturally nomadic. We hunted and gathered what was around that the Earth has provided for us to live upon to eat.

Although, if you want to continue to enjoy the luxuries of electricity, plumbing, pre-built housing, paved roads, automobiles, computers, and modern medicine that helps people live to age 100 - although miserably and sicker and without dignity - then you must find something that you're good at, and find someone else who needs your help. You could always be a farmer and live a simple life. You could sell handmade goods in your own business and work when you feel like it on your own time. The world is yours.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:14 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
Find your passion in life. What use to interest you as a kid, but you strayed away from? I quit my job working as an Internet Marketer to pursue music. If you are bright enough to start and run your own business, then you can find something that you actually LIKE and find a way to make a living doing it. I am also like you; I cannot see myself doing a job that I hate for the rest of my life; and guess what, most people on this forum will tell you to take it and suck it up, and that's life, but they are probably miserable themselves. You have a choice, you are still young. What do you like to do?
Good advice, and it also points to the closing "window of opportunity" with the OP, who may be young now, but think how much harder it's gonna be to "make a change", the older he gets?

BTW, something that got me "on the right path" a long while ago, back when I was still trying to figure out "what do I wanna be when I grow up", was taking a bunch of the standard aptitude and personality tests, available at any community college for folks who can't figure out their 'major'.

Long-story-short, they made me realize what really interests me in life, that is after you strip away family expectations, "I don't know anything about that", "what'll make me the most money, status, etc.". But best of all, it showed where my true 'passion' lies, and put me on a career and occupation path that I've never regretted. But start by stepping outside your "Comfort Zone", 'cuz Comfort's a trap!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Default The "natural" life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I share your sentiment. I want a life that is natural for a human being. I want to grow my own food and live off my own land, build my own home, work on those as needed and when I choose to do so. Watch the sun rise and set, eat apples straight from the tree. I don't really care about these materialistic things that people work so unnecessarily hard to get because they are meaningless in the end. They're merely extra luxuries and not necessities.

Humans lived for 300 thousand years on the land, lavishly, and they lived and died with dignity, not tied to *things*. As far as we have "evolved". The work that was done was actually productive, because we built our own homes from what was around us wherever we happened to be and traveled at will by nature because we're naturally nomadic. We hunted and gathered what was around that the Earth has provided for us to live upon to eat.

Although, if you want to continue to enjoy the luxuries of electricity, plumbing, pre-built housing, paved roads, automobiles, computers, and modern medicine that helps people live to age 100 - although miserably and sicker and without dignity - then you must find something that you're good at, and find someone else who needs your help. You could always be a farmer and live a simple life. You could sell handmade goods in your own business and work when you feel like it on your own time. The world is yours.
If you are able to work out the details of living directly off the land, you might indeed find it fulfilling. However, as others have pointed out in this thread, it is a hard life. There is much toil and hardship involved. I believe that paleoanthropologists would dispute your notion that people lived "lavishly". In my opinion you have an overly romanticized conception of going back to nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology