Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 07:18 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualm View Post
I would say start an internet business, grown your own food and build your own house from scratch. This would eliminate working for others, paying major $$ for food and paying rent or mortgage.
He would still have to pay property taxes, acquire a steady source of clean water and electricity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 03:30 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Please don't think about getting married yet. You are far from ready to involve someone else in your dysfunctional state now. When I was your age I was already a workaholic working two jobs, so it's hard for me to be sympathetic to your lack of work ethic. I only hope that you find a career choice that gives you some sort of fulfillment, or is living in your parents basement an option for the rest of their lives? My brother did that but he was in for a rude awakening when his meal ticket died and he had to learn to fend for himself at 32. Maybe you'll get lucky and find some needy woman that will support you for the rest of your life. They're out there.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:24 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I'm really confused as to why I must give up my time to another in order to be able to eat, live, and clothe myself. I'm on this giant ball with a bunch of other monkeys...and one day I will not be here at all...my time is slowly passing me by, leading me to inevitable nothingness...and you think for one second I'm going to allow any person or any group of people dictate what I must do with my time? It doesn't make sense to me that I have to spend half of my waking life doing something I don't want to do...in a routine...or else I'll be relegated to the streets...hungry, dirty and cold.

Don't get me wrong...I can be a hard worker..but it's on my terms, doing what I want, and getting money because of it has never been the goal. I rather wake up and read...or visit friends and family...or spend time with my wife...or write...or try to solve a problem...or anticipate one...or come to a realization, learn something..or meditate. I even like to think on how to cure cancer, or eradicate homelessness, or eliminate poverty. That's what I like to do, but I like to do those things when and how I want to, and not have them as responsibilities tied to me not eating if I don't.

So explain it to me why I don't get to live the life I want to live.

I've almost killed myself because of this...being told how I must live my life, or else end up homeless, up hungry and cold. I just can't bring myself to not live every second of my life exactly how I want to and when backed into a corner, I've nearly ended it.

I'm 24. Degreed. Have a business. Internship experience. And working experience. So, I'm not lazy. Or maybe I am...

I just don't want to do something I don't want to do for the next 40 years of my life. I mean, I'm dying here...I need to live my life. It's the only chance I'll get to, and someone dare make it so that I can't?

I hate it. I've shown up to work with tears streaming from my face, I hate it so much.

Advice? Other than go to a shrink and swallow a bunch of happy pills? This is no life at all.

You're in luck. You can actually get by in this country without having a 9-5. I would look at occasional contract work, or part time gigs to get you by. Try heading out to ski, surf, or fishing detinations to find like minded people who basically bum around for a few years avoiding the rat race.

If you dislike your job that much then leave it. Set a date. On that date, deliver your two weeks notice. What you do from there on it is up to you and how well you can plan or find a way to live that will make you happy

Old 02-06-2014, 05:39 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,772 times
Quote:
I don't give a crap about money and I resent being forced to. Pieces of metal and sheets of paper that I can't make, yet that I need to live? That's garbage. I don't accept.

My focus right now is on finding a wife.

Why doesn't the world just let me live my life and trust I'll contribute to it in my own way? Instead, why does it want to make me hungry, cold, and destitute if I don't do as it wants me to? Who is making those rules? And what makes him think he gets to?

Someone may die because of this. Me. Or someone.
Do you SERIOUSLY think you're going to find a woman to marry, who doesn't care if you don't want to work?? ....Well you could check the welfare office I suppose.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:42 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
You could reduce your expenses and live under your means so that you don't need as much money and can afford to work less.

A healthy, single, childless and frugal person can live well on a small amount of money.
Sounds like me, but then I LOVE money.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:48 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
Marry rich.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:52 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
I don't give a crap about money and I resent being forced to. Pieces of metal and sheets of paper that I can't make, yet that I need to live? That's garbage. I don't accept.

My focus right now is on finding a wife.
Good luck with that. What woman wants a man who won't provide reliably for her and her children? That's right -- damaged and/or messed up women. And even they figure it out eventually. You're negative and a rigid thinker, and you would simply pull her down.

I hope you don't want kids, because if you can't figure out life for yourself, you will only mess kids up.

It falls to you to adapt to life. Life will adamantly refuse to adapt to you.

That's not to say that, in time, you can't eventually figure out how to do work you find more interesting, that pays better, and that you can't gain a degree of independence -- e.g., becoming debt-free and having reserves. That doesn't mean that eventually you won't have the luxury to be more picky about the work you take on. I am in such a place, but I'm in my late 50's, and there are still things that threaten what I have built -- my health, back-stabbing coworkers, incompetent managers, etc. But that's life. No one and nothing is asking whether or not you accept it. Life isn't polite that way.

In fact, quit thinking of life as (im)polite or (un)fair. That's just inferring agency where it doesn't exist. Life is impersonal. It's like an unmanned steamroller. You can jump up and down and scream and holler and threaten all you want, but your only two choices are to let it run you over, or jump on for the ride.

Let go of the fantasy that you are above it all. No one is.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:08 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Sounds like a First World Millennial Problem.

Your hardworking ancestors are facepalming from the grave.
I know plenty of Baby Boomers who don't want to work either.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,478,108 times
Sounds like you need to make some goals. YOU are in charge of your future. Get a job with the goal of earning enough money that you can buy a handful of wooded acres, a small sawmill and some animals to provide food for yourself. Work hard and be sustainable. Nothing wrong with that goal at all. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting independence from an employer. It's perfectly normal. We all want it. If you're young enough and you actually plan, and are willing to work for someone long enough to buy your freedom, (this really is no different than indentured servitude...anyone who says different hasn't really thought about it) you can do it.

I bet if you repost in the philosophy section you'll get completely different responses.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:59 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Please don't think about getting married yet. You are far from ready to involve someone else in your dysfunctional state now.
Agreed with this triple much.

I get it, OP. I think anyone who allows themselves to feel the full force of their existence in its imperfection will have an overwhelming moment when they want to explode the world and themselves along with it and for some people, that moment doesn't dissipate into an afterthought once they've gotten a good night's sleep. It continues to eat away at them until they run themselves ragged asking why and wanting an escape.

But why this is life as society put it forth isn't the question you should be asking. You should be asking what you can do to make this life better for yourself. You know what matters to you, you know what you'd rather be doing than this, understand that what you're choosing will be the road less traveled and the road less traveled will always be rough and ill-defined. That's the nature of the beast. There is no other answer.

Therapy, you could use some, but no one can counsel you into a different existence. All they can do is get you to a point where you're better able to manage the existence you have. Until that happens, don't waste your time cutting your skin against the status quo. You won't heal from it.

Check out some non-profits who might help you nail down your purpose, head to a hostel and ponder life with tourists while sharing a bathroom for $10/hr, look up groups of modern day nomads and off the gridders who could give you some insight into what living off the beaten path has been like for them and how they deal with wanting the basics of a roof over their head and food on the table and happiness in their hearts without the workplace conventions and salary slaving and all that other pesky stuff that a civilized, capitalist society functions better with but perhaps more happily without.

Or do nothing. Up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology