Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Good advice, and it also points to the closing "window of opportunity" with the OP, who may be young now, but think how much harder it's gonna be to "make a change", the older he gets?

BTW, something that got me "on the right path" a long while ago, back when I was still trying to figure out "what do I wanna be when I grow up", was taking a bunch of the standard aptitude and personality tests, available at any community college for folks who can't figure out their 'major'.

Long-story-short, they made me realize what really interests me in life, that is after you strip away family expectations, "I don't know anything about that", "what'll make me the most money, status, etc.". But best of all, it showed where my true 'passion' lies, and put me on a career and occupation path that I've never regretted. But start by stepping outside your "Comfort Zone", 'cuz Comfort's a trap!
Yep!!! -- and a hearty "Hear, Hear" on the aptitude testing.

And while it might not seem so "on the surface", the societal changes of the past decade or two ought to allow the OP to take a little more time to examine his options before "putting his feet in the cement".

You might want to look into the new book walden on Wheels, by Ken Ilgunas. It tells the story of a young man who found himself stuck with a low-marketability degree and nearly $25000 in student-loan debt, but worked it off and put himself through grad school in about six years -- albeit by a not-exactly-traditional approach.

As Mr. Richard McKenna opined in his book The Sand Pebbles, "The only thing one has to do is die."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
People like this usually have a Mama willing to pay the bills. He will be 45, living withMama, mooching off her.

This is what happens, when you don't let your kids grow up, get a job, and support themselves.

Unless you have a trust fund, or a Mama willing to let you be a perpetual kid, you better grow up.

Last edited by jasper12; 02-03-2014 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 02-03-2014, 10:02 PM

712 posts, read 2,145,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
my time is slowly passing me by, leading me to inevitable nothingness..
Not exactly..

Quote:
So explain it to me why I don't get to live the life I want to live.
Because someone told you.. "you couldn't"

You can live without money.. you can live without a job.. you can do many things.. but if you wish to be depressed and complain.. than continue..

But if you would like to see more power you have over reality.. try this.. https://vimeo.com/16820495

Quote:

I've almost killed myself because of this...being told how I must live my life, or else end up homeless, up hungry and cold. I just can't bring myself to not live every second of my life exactly how I want to and when backed into a corner, I've nearly ended it.

I'm 24. Degreed. Have a business. Internship experience. And working experience. So, I'm not lazy. Or maybe I am...

I just don't want to do something I don't want to do for the next 40 years of my life. I mean, I'm dying here...I need to live my life. It's the only chance I'll get to, and someone dare make it so that I can't?

I hate it. I've shown up to work with tears streaming from my face, I hate it so much.

Advice? Other than go to a shrink and swallow a bunch of happy pills? This is no life at all.
You have much more power in this situation then you realize.. my advice is watch the video.. and explore and experiment.. and if you see the results "you should" than smile more dammit! jeez

The truth is most people in life aren't given "the manual" to it.. I have the manuel.. happy to give it to you.. and if you have it.. you can reverse all this BS/lack above.. time to have fun with your life.. like your asking for!

(the manual btw.. costs $19.95 + shipping just kidding! if you need some more assist.. just ask )

Old 02-03-2014, 10:14 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,394 times
I will give you real advice, OP, though I think you might need a little therapy too.

Join a commune. They still exist.

This will get you started:

Intentional Communities - ecovillages, communes, cohousing, coops

Old 02-03-2014, 11:05 PM

358 posts, read 512,144 times
It's hard to take these threads seriously, but if I'm going to say something I should be polite about it.

My advice: don't threaten anyone and don't try to hurt anyone. That never ends well.

Don't dwell on what you don't like. Focus on what you do like and stick to that.

"Get busy living or get busy dying."

Old 02-04-2014, 12:35 AM

45 posts, read 100,260 times
Quote:
I'm really confused as to why I must give up my time to another in order to be able to eat, live, and clothe myself. I'm on this giant ball with a bunch of other monkeys...and one day I will not be here at all...my time is slowly passing me by, leading me to inevitable nothingness...and you think for one second I'm going to allow any person or any group of people dictate what I must do with my time? It doesn't make sense to me that I have to spend half of my waking life doing something I don't want to do...in a routine...or else I'll be relegated to the streets...hungry, dirty and cold.

Don't get me wrong...I can be a hard worker..but it's on my terms, doing what I want, and getting money because of it has never been the goal. I rather wake up and read...or visit friends and family...or spend time with my wife...or write...or try to solve a problem...or anticipate one...or come to a realization, learn something..or meditate. I even like to think on how to cure cancer, or eradicate homelessness, or eliminate poverty. That's what I like to do, but I like to do those things when and how I want to, and not have them as responsibilities tied to me not eating if I don't.

I've almost killed myself because of this...being told how I must live my life, or else end up homeless, up hungry and cold. I just can't bring myself to not live every second of my life exactly how I want to and when backed into a corner, I've nearly ended it.

I'm 24. Degreed. Have a business. Internship experience. And working experience. So, I'm not lazy. Or maybe I am...

I just don't want to do something I don't want to do for the next 40 years of my life. I mean, I'm dying here...I need to live my life. It's the only chance I'll get to, and someone dare make it so that I can't?

I hate it. I've shown up to work with tears streaming from my face, I hate it so much.

Advice? Other than go to a shrink and swallow a bunch of happy pills? This is no life at all.
Depression, an evil lil critter..you've already visited a shrink? wrong advice and wrong happy pills?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:46 AM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
You may be better off doing your own thing in your own way...start a small business and work for yourself. It doesn't have to be huge, just something that will let you live. Marry someone who brings home the bacon or live with other likeminded people.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:49 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
You could 'go bush' and live off the land. Learn some survival skills and how to hunt.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:25 AM

334 posts, read 585,067 times
I read a lot of pain in the OP's post. Yes, work is trading your time for money. And our time on earth is so limited. It can be frightening or saddening.

My best advice is to always call a suicide hotline when you feel suicidal. Please try to address, with free counseling or group counseling on a sliding scale, these suicidal thoughts. That is first and foremost in my mind. Do not take chances; call the hotlines.

Second, you can lessen the stress of trading time for money by finding something you like to do. You might have to buck the culture to do this. Maybe you just want to make pies and sell them from a food truck (my dream), or have a pet-sitting service, or a guinea-pig "kennel" (other dreams). Maybe you would like to be a barn hand. I don't know. But ignore what society tells you you "should" want and try for what you DO want. That might help.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:09 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Did you compose this post while stoned? Because it almost sounds kind of Cheech n' Chongish..

Something went wrong somewhere, since you're very disconnected from reality. No woman is going to deal with a man who is aimless.

Good luck in your endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology