Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 01:13 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,982,574 times

Advertisements

Edit: The full title/question is supposed to be: Is it accurate to say a marijuana high makes you "more conscious", while being drunk on alcohol makes you "less conscious"?

The question is pretty straight forward, and that's the best way I can describe it from my personal experience.

I suspect the "more conscious" part plays a role in why some people become paranoid if they smoke marijuana and get high. I don't know if it's accurate, but I have a theory that the reason marijuana makes people paranoid is because the people it has that effect on are used to being detached and the marijuana high makes them instantly "more conscious" or "more present" in a way that they're not used to.

If you agree with the basic idea that my main question suggests, do you think that smoking marijuana or drinking alcohol a lot can tug your default (sober) level of awareness in one direction or the other? For example, marijuana making you more sensitive, in touch, and planting your feet more firmly on the ground, and alcohol numbing you out, making you less in touch, and detaching you? I do believe it's known for sure that medically, excessive drinking of alcohol can make people depressed, which in that scenario I think is very similar or the same as what I mean by "less conscious" or "detached".

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 01:43 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,602,406 times
Roughly speaking, yes.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:09 AM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
My son would be unhappy, anxious and basically depressed. He would take a little cannabis and become alive, bright and witty and chatty. Pretty much like someone taking amphetamine medication. It appeared that the cannabis was substituting for some chemical deficiency in his brain. Dopamine I would think. If I remember correctly, cannabinoids attach to dopamine receptors which would 'raise the level of conciousness'. But usually people who take cannabis become 'dopy' and less alert, pretty much like alcohol but to a greater degree. So I would say generally no, cannabis does not raise the level of conciousness. The more cannabis one smokes the duller one gets.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:35 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,014 times
I would say it's more like one becomes more self-conscious, or at least more capable of introspection and self-examination. If it's a strong Sativa one might feel like sensory experience is more vivid and immediate. This can be very intense at times, and some people just can't handle it.

Alcohol has pretty much the exact opposite effect, at least for me.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:55 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
I think more conscious is a great way to put it, more aware. I believe pot provides access to areas of the brain we don't normally have access to. When drunk and you have a great revelation, the next day you realize it wasn't so great, but when high and you have a great revelation, it's still a great revelation the next day. I have had life changing (for the better) realizations and clarity from getting high.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Hmmm, it's funny, while it makes you more detached I feel alcohol also makes me hyper-aware. Everything also just feels/seems weird...like the way people look, speak, what they're saying...just the idea of BEING seems weird...I don't know if anyone can relate. Pot just mellows me out, it doesn't do all that much to me.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:30 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,292,211 times
I like to DO THINGS like reading books, driving a car, working around the house, taking my dog for a walk, etc.

And I will say that I can function MUCH BETTER to do those things if I am not on drugs or alcohol!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:33 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Any distinction is irrelevant as you are impaired either way when it comes to driving, playing with fire, etc.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:50 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Marijuana makes smokers think they are brilliant and artistic, but all it really does is making them dopey and slow (and less interesting). Perception and reality are different. But that is what drugs do, they alter your perception of reality.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:09 AM

25,579 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Marijuana makes smokers think they are brilliant and artistic, but all it really does is making them dopey and slow (and less interesting). Perception and reality are different. But that is what drugs do, they alter your perception of reality.
Similar to those who can dance SO WELL after a few beers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology