Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 07:15 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was a teenager in the mid 80's and I just couldn't get into Punk back then.
The armchair anarchist in me likes the attitude and politics of punk, but I can't appreciate the (lack of) musicianship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 07:27 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
The men i know who have a lot of toys also have jobs where they work hard to be able to afford those toys. They work hard, provide well, and play hard in their free time after responsibilities are taken care of. To me that is not at all like Peter Pan syndrome.
100% on the nail!
As I mentioned, I have a massive collection of diecast model cars. I've been collecting for over four decades and love my hobby. I also do trade shows where I buy/sell models, and have written and published a book about diecast cars.
However, I've always had an actual job that affords me to enjoy my hobby. Moreover, I take care of my personal expenses (rent, bills, food, etc.) so that I can continue to do what I love. So if someone wants to call me a "grown man playing with toy cars", that's fine by me - they might call it silly, but to each their own.
Incidentally, I know several grown women who collect Barbie dolls. To which I say, "More power to them!"

Old 09-04-2017, 10:07 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
The armchair anarchist in me likes the attitude and politics of punk, but I can't appreciate the (lack of) musicianship.
This is a canard. There were plenty of great punk musicians. Plenty of incredibly tight, accomplished players and bands. X, The Minutemen, Husker Du, Meat Puppets, Die Kreuzen, Scratch Acid, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, NOTA, The Offenders, Big Boys. These guys and gals could flat play.

There was a lot of sloppy, noisy, cruddy stuff too, some of which was pretty great.

Admittedly, a lot of it doesn't hold up real well, but even in the day, I thought a lot of punk was generic. I feel that way about most kinds of music. A small percentage of it is great, then a lot of meh.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:27 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,782 times
I expect you're right, Griffis. What I listened to did very little for me so I dug no deeper. No doubt there's more complex stuff out there, but it's unlikely to blip my radar.

Some thrash combined the speed and attitude of punk with more technical playing. Metallica left that behind after Kill 'Em All and set sail for more progressive territory, but I always enjoyed Anthrax and still do.

What an interesting sidebar this is. I'm certain some will see it as evidence of the topic and roll their eyes at us for continuing to enjoy styles of music they'd consider adolescent.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:51 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,202 times
I love at least some of nearly all kinds of music. I played live music and did some studio work for 20 years solid. Even made some money at it.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:41 PM

52,222 posts, read 52,648,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I love at least some of nearly all kinds of music. I played live music and did some studio work for 20 years solid. Even made some money at it.
Yeah, got some kd lang going. I can swing from Hatebreed to Frank Sinatra. Love music. It's what keeps me above ground.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:06 AM

902 posts, read 747,143 times
Since the Industrial Revolution, boys were removed from their fathers and raised by the mothers. When divorces became more prevalent and accepted, boys were removed from their fathers and raised by their mothers. The results are generations of boys raised by women, the results have been nothing short of predictable.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:16 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Since the Industrial Revolution, boys were removed from their fathers and raised by the mothers. When divorces became more prevalent and accepted, boys were removed from their fathers and raised by their mothers. The results are generations of boys raised by women, the results have been nothing short of predictable.
Ah yes blame the women. How predictable.

It's not a zero-sum game folks where in order for one gender to be successful the other must fail. That's a very infantile way to look at things.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:36 AM

902 posts, read 747,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Ah yes blame the women. How predictable.

It's not a zero-sum game folks where in order for one gender to be successful the other must fail. That's a very infantile way to look at things.
No blame was cast. You're projecting, which is typical victim mentality.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:18 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
No blame was cast. You're projecting, which is typical victim mentality.
This post sounds quite defensive. Who possesses the mentality of victimhood again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology