Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 11:35 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I don't know who you are talking about specifically - but half the traits you mention might also be characterized as just honesty. And in today's language-policing PC world, honesty is refreshing enough to get repped.
You can be honest without being a jerk.

Why do people think that honesty entails being a jerk?

I appreciate your comment, but I don’t agree with your assessment.

There, just like that. I was honest with you without tearing you down or tooting my own horn. But this probably won’t get repped, because it wasn’t snarky enough to trigger someone else’s emotional response.

3,671 posts, read 3,559,268 times
If you find yourself being offended often by a particular member, you can always take advantage of the 'Ignore' feature.

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Oh, I read that completely wrong. So you’re saying that the “rude” posters are the ones who know a little more about the poster whom they are responding to, hence why they respond to them the way they do. Correct?
Can be--there are posters who come back again and again with different usernames, but they have the same problems, use the same language, throw the same insults, etc. If you've been around the board for a while you start to recognize the repeat offenders, and don't give them the same kind advice and the benefit of the doubt that you gave them the first time you encountered them.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:38 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
You can be honest without being a jerk.

Why do people think that honesty entails being a jerk?

I appreciate your comment, but I don’t agree with your assessment.

There, just like that. I was honest with you without tearing you down or tooting my own horn. But this probably won’t get repped, because it wasn’t snarky enough to trigger someone else’s emotional response.
Oh now I have a better idea what you mean. The mean people that come into threads just to bash. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
If you find yourself being offended often by a particular member, you can always take advantage of the 'Ignore' feature.
Yes, I recently found out about this feature. There are some who I feel are much, much worse than others, so not everybody I disagree with philosophically deserves to be blocked. But there are some posters who seem to routinely post rude gibberish, as in I can’t even make out what they are trying to convey. Their logic doesn’t make any sense. But then I’ll see they have 8500 reps with 5000 posts. And I’m just like huh?... How did that happen?

Old 10-05-2017, 11:47 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Quote:
I’ve noticed that some posters who’ve been around awhile and have some of the higher rep ratings have some of the most unsavory personality traits. Narcissistic, ageist, condescending, obtuse, unempathetic,downright rude can all be used to describe some of these people. How does something like this happen? I generally have faith in humans doing the right thing, but when I see that these people tend to be highly rewarded for their behavior here, it sort of baffles me.

Am I wrong about people? Do most actually admire people with these sorts of traits? Why do you think this is the case? Is this a forum thing? Because I feel like people who act this way in real life are usually called out and put in their place, definitely not respected or admired for this behavior.
Many right wing posters love this kind of post and will reward the poster because they agree with the point of view.

3,004 posts, read 6,276,441 times
Quote:
I’ve noticed that some posters who’ve been around awhile and have some of the higher rep ratings have some of the most unsavory personality traits. Narcissistic, ageist, condescending, obtuse, unempathetic,downright rude can all be used to describe some of these people. How does something like this happen? I generally have faith in humans doing the right thing, but when I see that these people tend to be highly rewarded for their behavior here, it sort of baffles me.

Am I wrong about people? Do most actually admire people with these sorts of traits? Why do you think this is the case? Is this a forum thing? Because I feel like people who act this way in real life are usually called out and put in their place, definitely not respected or admired for this behavior.
I don't know if it's been stated (it probably has) that they probably post a lot in Politics and Controversies forums.

And/OR the more "troll-like" or inflammatory the statement the more rep you get. At least here on CD that seems to be the case. Moderate posters, or posts that aren't inflammatory just don't get reps, because they don't invoke a passionate enough response from others. That's just current day human nature. You can make sense all day long, but no one really cares. The truth of an issue is usually pretty boring.

Granted good people and posts get rep, however they tend to post A LOT.

If there was a rate down like Reddit or other meritocratic BBSes I've been on there might be a different story.

Since those posters aren't "checked" here like they are on other forums that behavior continues to spread. My local forum here has become a right-wing cess pool, in part, because of this. You would think Los Angeles is as conservative as 1960's Alabama.

And it's one of the reasons why I'm not on here as much anymore.

I guess my main point in all of this is that it seems like some of the most unsavory behaviors are rewarded here, on this forum, far more than we see them rewarded in real life.

If someone is a narcissistic snob in real life, for instance, I think most of us cringe at their constant gloating and self-promoting.

If someone is rude or condescending in real life, we are usually offended by it.

But on here, it would seem that these traits are placed on a pedestal given how these types of posters seem to stand out.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:50 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,036,471 times
Quote:
So they’re friends outside of the forum and routinely pat each other on the back? That kind of thing?
Not exactly, but that can happen, so can the calling on friends, to attack an individual who's not part of the normal crowd.

I'll give an example; Someone that doesn't normally act hostile, comes along trying to mess up a thread I've started, one that up to that point was totally lighthearted. I cross reference what I've just been posting on another thread, and the timings of this said person's posts, and know this person is just attacking me, or whatever I've said, for no other reason, than to get at me for my knowledge of the other thread's subject matter. I respond in kind, and put them in their place, but that's all you see. Other people know me, and know what I won't stand for, and also see this other person to be just trouble making.

Am I the bad person?

Old 10-05-2017, 11:51 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
I guess my main point in all of this is that it seems like some of the most unsavory behaviors are rewarded here, on this forum, far more than we see them rewarded in real life.

If someone is a narcissistic snob in real life, for instance, I think most of us cringe at their constant gloating and self-promoting.

If someone is rude or condescending in real life, we are usually offended by it.

But on here, it would seem that these traits are placed on a pedestal given how these types of posters seem to stand out.
A rep point is hardly a reward, IMHO, so I'd probably not think too much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology