Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 04:47 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
In the first place, bold people are more likely to join and actively participate in a forum mostly about sharing opinions. Boldness and sensitivity tend to be opposing traits, I think most would agree.

When boldness is placed in an environment where intelligent discussion is the goal (almost to be the smartest), then arrogance is going to show, maybe more than is intended.

Then there are social aspects and strength in numbers (people like feeling powerful).

Furthermore, playing tough/loud for self-amusement and distinction might not come across benignly. I think that is the case much more often for male posters.
Spoiler
That's often me. Congrats to anyone who has suspected that. Of course I'm repped very little, grr.

Also, habits develop, where people end up behaving below their own standards.

Similar problems exist in many other forums. I don't condone it, however.
IDK about that. Lots of 'keyboard warriors' who only feel 'bold' anon on a forum. That's weak. Especially when used to put down others. 'Oh hey, I just made someone feel like ish for no reason online! woo-hoo!' Really? ugh.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:52 AM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
This thread has been cleaned up several times and many inappropriate posts and personal attacks have been deleted. It appears hopeless that a mature discussion of this topic can take place without people baiting and/or attacking one another. This thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology