Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 05:50 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times

Advertisements

I have not seen it mentioned yet but there may be another small factor at play and that is the division between the relocation forums and the lifestyle forums.
I'm generally a nice person on the relocation forums and try to be polite, nice helpful, and it gets me points. On the other forums I'm more likely to get snarky when people tell me my opinions are wrong (you can tell me my facts are wrong, but my opinions are my own) and likely to fire off a shot or two. Those get me points too. But it's a bit like jekyll and hyde, if you see me in one area of the forums you would probably think I'm sort of mild mannered, until you see me in another forum where my buttons have been pushed and I'm transformed, lol.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I’ve noticed that some posters who’ve been around awhile and have some of the higher rep ratings have some of the most unsavory personality traits. Narcissistic, ageist, condescending, obtuse, unempathetic,downright rude can all be used to describe some of these people. How does something like this happen? I generally have faith in humans doing the right thing, but when I see that these people tend to be highly rewarded for their behavior here, it sort of baffles me.

Am I wrong about people? Do most actually admire people with these sorts of traits? Why do you think this is the case? Is this a forum thing? Because I feel like people who act this way in real life are usually called out and put in their place, definitely not respected or admired for this behavior.
Simple answer: demographics. CD tends to attract a mainly white, male, rural/extreme suburban, right leaning audience.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:58 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Simple answer: demographics. CD tends to attract a mainly white, male, rural/extreme suburban, right leaning audience.
Really so all those posters on urban planning and city vs city are just wannabe dreamers? I always had the impression there were an awful lot of young men from the cities on those forums. Now you've gone and made me curious about what the demographic break down is.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Have to say I agree 1000%. We West Coasters are in the minority.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:33 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Here you go. I have nothing to be ashamed of.

Bringing up a Promotion
I read your thread / link and you tend to take things a little to personal and you also were offensive to others.

Best advice you can get is "Let it go" here. Go hang out in the Politics section and develop a thicker skin.

Let it go.

Quote:
Quote:
Dinner and drinks.

What are you, like 12? Every response you’ve had here, and in other threads with me, is like that of an angsty, sarcastic know-it-all pre-teen. Do yourself a favor and grow up! Your behavior is embarrassing, especially if you are an adult. I can’t imagine this snarky attitude gets you very far in life, despite what it does for you on this forum.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
In my case, medication. I have a problem with pain. Doctors keep throwing different meds, and mixtures of meds, at me.

The problem is I react very badly to most pain meds (and others). One of the reactions I have is irritability, sometimes to the extreme.

Once off the meds I realize what has happened and go back to the threads where I've been overly jerky and apologize.

Twice recently.

And if I missed anyone.

I apologize.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:41 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
So they’re friends outside of the forum and routinely pat each other on the back? That kind of thing?
Truthfully in all the years I've been on here I met one person on this forum. Sure I give reps to posts I feel that are to the point. Everyone wants to be coddled and told everything us gonna be ok. But sometimes people call you on bs. And some people don't like it so they feel the others were rude insensitive narcissistic etc. not everyone is a fragile flower.

Lots of times a post is read but you cannot see the person and their tone. Maybe I'm one of the people you are referring to. To tell you the truth I have no issues with most posts. I respond to some simply because I'm giving my side of the opinions. You may not care for it. I dont much care what you do otherwise. You have your opinion and I have mine. As long as you are not directly impacting me or my finances what you is nothing more than a difference of opinion

Old 10-07-2017, 12:10 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Of what real world value is having a lot of reps or city data props? When it comes to online you have the power. Ignore. Move on to another online community if you have to.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Really so all those posters on urban planning and city vs city are just wannabe dreamers? I always had the impression there were an awful lot of young men from the cities on those forums. Now you've gone and made me curious about what the demographic break down is.
I don't have hard demographics but I read a lot of posts from people who seem to be from more rural areas.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:22 AM

13,634 posts, read 10,038,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Of what real world value is having a lot of reps or city data props? When it comes to online you have the power. Ignore. Move on to another online community if you have to.
Sometimes, it's just nice to know that someone cares. Sadly, sometimes on here, you may share something, something deep set in you that causes you hurt, (maybe about abuse that you've received in childhood), and the next time you go to sign in, you've got yourself an insult and an infraction, just waiting there for you. Now, there you are with this ban, it may be temporary, but to add insult to injury, you're also cut off from your little support network of friends.

One can only ask one's self; What vile lowlife would go running off and reporting a person that is obviously already feeling hurt, an why?

I, personally, in relation to online communities, now have an image of a crazy person, or persons, stabbing at random, strangers on the street, and one never knows where these are to pop up. Somewhat how a terrorist would.

Why not move on to another online community? Because real friends don't come easily, and some of us aren't flippant, so can't be social butterflies.

Last edited by BECLAZONE; 10-07-2017 at 04:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology