Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 12:29 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,038,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Lol, I had a similar response when discussing the civility and effectiveness of the Work and Employment forum. The poster asked, “why do you care what anybody here thinks?” And I was like, “because it’s an advice forum?”
Exactly, and here, is all a lot of people have got.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Welcome to the internet! I do frequently see someone take something a way that wasn't intended. Without someone's voice, it can be easy to take something the wrong way. There's no tone, no body language, no hand gestures, etc.

Many people have known each other for years. Not known each other in person. They know each on here. There are some that have met in person. When I was looking to relocate, I messaged a guy I consider to the be mayor of the area I was moving to and he had some great advice for me. I've known him on here for years. I've never met him in person.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Welcome to the internet! I do frequently see someone take something a way that wasn't intended. Without someone's voice, it can be easy to take something the wrong way. There's no tone, no body language, no hand gestures, etc.

Many people have known each other for years. Not known each other in person. They know each on here. There are some that have met in person. When I was looking to relocate, I messaged a guy I consider to the be mayor of the area I was moving to and he had some great advice for me. I've known him on here for years. I've never met him in person.
Interestingly enough, in real life, face to face, I don't have the correct body language, or tone of voice. Just imagine that.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:00 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
You can be honest without being a jerk.

Why do people think that honesty entails being a jerk?

I appreciate your comment, but I don’t agree with your assessment.

There, just like that. I was honest with you without tearing you down or tooting my own horn. But this probably won’t get repped, because it wasn’t snarky enough to trigger someone else’s emotional response.
Yea you can be honest without being a jerk. But the example you gave is a bit over the the top. Really - who is going to speak like that on the forums?

Last edited by bg7; 10-05-2017 at 01:46 PM..

Old 10-05-2017, 01:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Interestingly enough, in real life, face to face, I don't have the correct body language, or tone of voice. Just imagine that.
Not sure what you mean by correct body language or tone of voice.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:19 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Well there are posters who get negative reps on here.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:56 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yea you can be honest without being a jerk. But the example you gave is a bit over the the top. Really - who is going to speak like that on the forums?
I just did.

Whenever I reply to an OP with a legitimate question or concern, I always respond in a manner that resembles how I’d respond if my name and reputation were on the line.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Not sure what you mean by correct body language or tone of voice.
I mean, you wouldn't be able to read my emotions or intentions, while speaking to me.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:24 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I don't know who you are talking about specifically - but half the traits you mention might also be characterized as just honesty. And in today's language-policing PC world, honesty is refreshing enough to get repped.
If we were brutally and flintily honest with ourselves, most of us would find the adjectives in the Original Posting to at least somewhat fit our own selves; such is the curse of being human. What does, I think, happen all too often, is that accumulation of accolades grants us a smugness and feeling of invincibility, wherein some foible or blunder on the part of another, feels like it would be excusable for us. Unfortunately, the realization of our mistakes is rarely gradual or incremental. It happens suddenly, violently, and all too late.

Quote:
I guess my main point in all of this is that it seems like some of the most unsavory behaviors are rewarded here, on this forum, far more than we see them rewarded in real life.
It’s the veil of anonymity. Strong personal feeling is difficult to long retain, when there’s no voice or face or name against which to direct said feeling. But the titillation and piquancy of a provocative statement can be rewarded, regardless of its authorship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Another thing is watch how short a thread is when there is no drama. When there is drama it goes on and on even if the OP bails due to it!
Good point. We should remember, that this site is owned by a for-profit company. Presumably there is some advertising revenue or other source of profit, contingent upon page-views or length of threads or something like that. Whether utter rubbish or the most profound wisdom, whatever happens to keep a discussion going, is ultimately a good thing, from the aspect of eyeballs-on-screen.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
If you find yourself being offended often by a particular member, you can always take advantage of the 'Ignore' feature.
Yes. If someone's comments upset you, do use the ignore. If the comment is offensive or rude, you can report it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology