Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:38 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Key words: 'as they know it'. You're constantly posting opinions as if they're fact. You're actually the first person I thought of when I read the OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Is there any other kind?

It's the only position one can make a statement from, if, that is, to their knowledge, it is true.
It is often acknowledged that the most intelligent humans in the world are most aware of how little they know about the universe in which we live. It is the least intelligent of us who, in their lack of understanding things on a deeper level, actually think they are the smartest people out there on a topic.

Another case in point is how we’re supposed to fake it till we make it. This alone demonstrates that many of us are lost and we’re figuring it out as we go. It’s just that some people are better at faking it than others. Then there is the contingent of people whose egos drive them to feign confidence and omniscience despite knowing very little about a subject, which is often times very obvious because of the generalities in which they speak.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I don't know why but despite trying to put a lot of thought into what I write?

I never like how I sound when I run across my own posts! In fact; I actively avoid them because it just makes me cringe.

It's weird, because in person I am told by others very consistently that I "have a wall up" or "Need to let somebody in". Then I read what I wrote here on CD & it seems like I'm on a constant emotional see-saw. Sometimes I feel like I try too hard. Other times I'm frustrated that I'm so afraid to say what I mean so I just blurt it out & hit "submit reply" & then am afraid to revisit the thread. Many times I'll leave a post up & edit it for 24hrs+ before I post it & 90% of the time I edit after posting too.

I'm surprised anyone reps me at all but most of the time, it's the posts I think are the least likely to be well received that get the most points!
At least you are demonstrating self awareness. I think there are a lot of people who either can’t or who choose not to. Whether or not you are justified in your self criticism is another thing. It may just be a sign of a self esteem-related deficiency. Or you could genuinely come off as a jerk initially. But at least you are aware of it and choose to fix it. That is far more than a lot of people are willing to do.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:50 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Seriously, who cares? C-D rep points don’t mean much. It’s nothing to base your self-esteem on.
Definitely true!

Old 10-06-2017, 07:12 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
I try to be supportive, helpful and positive in my comments and offer actionable ideas. But when I see glaring instances of narcissism, I will be harsher. And come after me in an unfair way, and I will go completely scorched earth.

I don't go anywhere near the Politics forum because I view it as a sort of Bosch-like hellscape of madness.

I think some of the more unhinged posters who have a lot of rep points 1) post a lot and 2) have a gift for tapping into the ids of other posters, saying the deep, dark ugly things that those less unhinged posters think but don't dare say. Consider instead the ratio of rep points to the number of posts. I think that's a more useful measure than just looking at the number of rep points.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:20 AM

416 posts, read 408,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I don't know who you are talking about specifically - but half the traits you mention might also be characterized as just honesty. And in today's language-policing PC world, honesty is refreshing enough to get repped.
Good point.

Additionally it’s a known fact that posting a contrarian point of view or an inaccurate answer will generate the most responses on the web. Not sure if some people are really chasing CD fame and fortune (??) but maybe lots of little Internet points make them happy.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:24 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I guess my main point in all of this is that it seems like some of the most unsavory behaviors are rewarded here, on this forum, far more than we see them rewarded in real life.

If someone is a narcissistic snob in real life, for instance, I think most of us cringe at their constant gloating and self-promoting.

If someone is rude or condescending in real life, we are usually offended by it.

But on here, it would seem that these traits are placed on a pedestal given how these types of posters seem to stand out.
You've gotten a lot of reponses to this post, so after page 2, TLDR!

I have this observation. I was Mod on a different forum. I noticed quite the same sort of behavior on the part of several long-time, well-respected, posters. They would engage in trolling and generally mean behavior at times - exactly the sort of behavior they would suggest that another poster should be banned for. And other long-time posters would not call them on it! AFAIC, rude behavior is rude, no matter who is doing it. And trolling is trolling, regardless of who is doing it.

So, I have no idea WHY people act like this - but I do know I have seen this sort of behavior on other forums (bad forum behavior on the part of active, long-time, respected posters).

Old 10-06-2017, 08:51 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,454,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I don't go anywhere near the Politics forum because I view it as a sort of Bosch-like hellscape of madness.
I hope you write somewhere besides here. That one-sentence para shows some real descriptive talent.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:58 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I hope you write somewhere besides here. That one-sentence para shows some real descriptive talent.
Lol. I was thinking the same thing. I was like Bosch...like a dishwasher...then I was like, uh no Hieronymus.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:10 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
It sure is remarkable how prevalent this term became in such a short period of time. And it is to absolutely no one's credit that it did.
The second someone uses "snowflake" as a term I automatically shave some points off my estimate of their IQ.

Snopes has an interesting piece on the origins of the term: Is 'Snowflake' a Nazi Term That Was Used During the Holocaust?

Living in Colorado as I do, my general thought is that snowflakes make avalanches.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
The second someone uses "snowflake" as a term I automatically shave some points off my estimate of their IQ.

Snopes has an interesting piece on the origins of the term: Is 'Snowflake' a Nazi Term That Was Used During the Holocaust?

Living in Colorado as I do, my general thought is that snowflakes make avalanches.
I like this woman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology