Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 04:13 PM

769 posts, read 783,164 times

Advertisements

The by far quickest method to increase reputation is to post in the politics/controversy forums.

I rarely get points for posting in "benign" threads but when I participate in the politics section I usually get upvoted.

So this selects for "strong" opinions that many feel are inappropriate/rude/awful. It's easily possible to crank up your reputation with "unsavory" behavior.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:15 PM

5,493 posts, read 3,934,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Yes, I recently found out about this feature. There are some who I feel are much, much worse than others, so not everybody I disagree with philosophically deserves to be blocked. But there are some posters who seem to routinely post rude gibberish, as in I can’t even make out what they are trying to convey. Their logic doesn’t make any sense. But then I’ll see they have 8500 reps with 5000 posts. And I’m just like huh?... How did that happen?
One rep seems to increase one's rep score by 5 or so points, although I've noticed that I've gotten less points for different reps, so I'm not exactly sure what the formula is. But 8,500 rep points does not equal 8,500 individual reps--you can at least take solace in that, eh.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:27 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times
Birds of feather flock together
People on the far right Rep each other
People on the far left Rep each other
Problem is, nobody wants to admit when they are wrong even when presented with facts. We did have a number of Alt Right poster that "Stormed" this website but they are mostly gone now.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:29 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,465,316 times
Quote:
Am I wrong about people? Do most actually admire people with these sorts of traits? Why do you think this is the case? Is this a forum thing? Because I feel like people who act this way in real life are usually called out and put in their place, definitely not respected or admired for this behavior.
In message boards I expect to see a rough microcosm of society. My experience in our society is that bullies are loved and coddled, and that those who take stands against them embarrass everyone who does not, thus the latter group doubles down in bully support. There is a reason I have an enormous ignore list, because most forums have a forum jerk who loves nothing more than to feel he has scored a point or belittled someone.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I think you’ve done a fine job articulating my observations. Agreed with you about the differences here compared to reddit. The nasty trolls are usually put in their place by being downvoted. Obviously there are unintended consequences to that system, because people abuse it and downvote anything they disagree with whether it was a valid point or not. But here, it does seem the system allows it to be far more skewed towards this crowd than the moderate or more empathetic posters.
Empathy can be tough to find on the Internet. Thanks to fantasy football, I've been reminded in recent weeks that Yahoo comment sections seem to be among the worst. They have upvoting and downvoting there, but if you're looking to make some crudely expressed bigoted/reactionary there's always an understanding audience there, and plenty of upvotes will be headed your way

Old 10-05-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
In message boards I expect to see a rough microcosm of society. My experience in our society is that bullies are loved and coddled, and that those who take stands against them embarrass everyone who does not, thus the latter group doubles down in bully support.
Yeah, I think this is closer to being true than the OP's assertion that obnoxiously self-aggrandizing behavior is typically not rewarded in real life.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
People have called me rude before.

I'm just honest and sometimes people don't like being called out on their crap.

If you are a helicopter parent, a snowflake, a bigot, a weirdo, if you ask me what I think, I'm going to tell you.

If you don't want to know, don't ask.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yea you can be honest without being a jerk. But the example you gave is a bit over the the top. Really - who is going to speak like that on the forums?
'I appreciate your comment, but I don't agree with your assessment' is over the top? Sounds pretty standard to me, assuming the person writing is capable of employing some tact (a bit of an ambitious assumption to be sure). But that suggested phrasing seemed like a plausible enough suggestion to me that I actually thought you were referencing a different comment he had made, despite the fact that you bolded the sentence in question, heh.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
a snowflake
It sure is remarkable how prevalent this term became in such a short period of time. And it is to absolutely no one's credit that it did.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:03 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
OP,
One's *rude gibberish* is another's straight forward, non candy coated, non politically correct, truth as they know it.

Last edited by CSD610; 10-05-2017 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology