Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 11:53 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,425,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I would have bet money that you were a guy. That is why I talked to you the way I did in that other post, sorry .

Now about your handle. Did you hear a lot of that kind of thing as you were growing up? "You are good for nothing, and won't amount to much?" I added the second half since I heard both of them over the early years. They kind of went together. If that is how you see yourself, then it's a stretch to think that you deserve better in life.

The old adage of "Words can never hurt me" is not true. They can shape our very existence. What you were called is NOT who you are.
No. My name here is Good4Nothin because I joined CD when I retired. It was supposed to mean I am not contributing to the economy anymore, at least not full time. It was not meant to be serious. But people who want to diagnose me always take it so seriously.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
After reading the responses (attacks?) by the OP It's obvious that nothing is gained by further posting. Her mind is set on what she believes, what she expects is going to happen, and what the end result will be. And it is never, I repeat, never her fault.

And it won't change because she expects the change to come from someone else. Because it's never her fault.

Fred, Ted, and Ed or whatever names she gave them probably had a bet going that she would do exactly what she did. I wonder who won?

Old 03-30-2018, 12:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
This is definitely NOT a predicament. And I said at the beginning I know people here will diagnose me and say I need help or my life will be ruined.
And you're looking for help on CD? You said you are teaching an intro class to Psychology. If you're knowledgeable enough to do that then you should be knowledgeable enough to understand you need to see a psychiatrist about your problems. You won't get useful advice here, especially when all you do is argue with everything you are told.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:08 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,574,561 times
Quote:
This is definitely NOT a predicament. And I said at the beginning I know people here will diagnose me and say I need help or my life will be ruined.
You just deflected your responsibility for treating someone rudely by changing the subject. That was easy to spot. Yes, your life is indeed in a predicament. This is an on going problem you have. Otherwise you would not have opened this thread.

pre·dic·a·ment
a difficult, unpleasant, or embarrassing situation.
"the club's financial predicament"
synonyms:difficult situation, mess, difficulty, plight, quandary, muddle,

See, you want us all to side with you about how horribly callous those guys were. Poor pitiful you . And yet you will not even try to accept any responsibility that you may have done things wrong that could use improvement. And on top of that you insult those attempting to help you do better. Nope, things will continue on as before until you make some changes. It's up to you.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:18 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times
Next time take your guitar out of the case. Nothing says I don't want to play like leaving your guitar in its case. Get it out, get it ready, tune it, etc and it would have been more obvious that you're wanting to play.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And you're looking for help on CD? You said you are teaching an intro class to Psychology. If you're knowledgeable enough to do that then you should be knowledgeable enough to understand you need to see a psychiatrist about your problems. You won't get useful advice here, especially when all you do is argue with everything you are told.
No, I argue with the people who have an urgent need to criticize and put down anyone who complains about people, for whatever reason. This is called blaming the victim.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:50 PM

The experience I had with those guys had no permanent effect on my life. I have had many more positive experiences with open mics than negative.

Why didn't I post about all the positive experiences? Well, what is there to say about a positive experience? Should I post my positive experiences along with the negative?

I knew at the beginning there would be at least one or two people saying I must go to a psychiatrist immediately and get drugged, or I will head for certain disaster. All because I described a minor aggravating incident.

Musicians I know complain about this kind of thing all the time. If I had complained to a live person instead of here, NO ONE would have told me to go get drugged.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:52 PM

Another thing that always happens here is that once the victim-blamers get started, there are more and more of them. And the people who understand or sympathize give up. Then the bashing gets serious and intensifies.

And that is when, I have already found out, I should give up the conversation and promise myself, again, never to post anything personal at CD.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:55 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Another thing that always happens here is that once the victim-blamers get started, there are more and more of them. And the people who understand or sympathize give up. Then the bashing gets serious and intensifies.

And that is when, I have already found out, I should give up the conversation and promise myself, again, never to post anything personal at CD.

I didn’t view you as a victim but as someone seeking opinions or were you looking just for sympathy or a way to understand how you could have done something differently?

Old 03-30-2018, 02:19 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,204,069 times
Quote:

I knew at the beginning there would be at least one or two people saying I must go to a psychiatrist immediately and get drugged, or I will head for certain disaster. All because I described a minor aggravating incident.

Musicians I know complain about this kind of thing all the time. If I had complained to a live person instead of here, NO ONE would have told me to go get drugged.
Funny, I just looked back through this thread and I see no one telling you to get to a psychiatrist or getting "drugged." Nor any "certain disasters." I only see you predicting and saying that's what you'll get from posting here. I can only speak for myself and certainly didn't tell you any such thing.

Perhaps you can point me to those posts.

As for a "minor aggravating incident" – well, that is a characterization that doesn't seem to hold up. To me, your reaction has been something more than to a minor incident. So, am I "victim blaming" to say you might have handled things differently?

Last edited by CatzPaw; 03-30-2018 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology