Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 02:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

OP, it would have been very helpful reading your description of the older man had you *included* the fact that you have known the family for a long time.

HOW THE HECK is someone on a web forum supposed to know what you know about someone?
Very few humans have passed mind reading 101 successfully, be clear in regards to your knowledge/relationship with someone you mention in a post.

Last edited by CSD610; 03-30-2018 at 02:45 PM..

Old 03-30-2018, 02:31 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
OP, it would have been very helpful reading your description of the older man had you *included* the fact that you have known the family for a long time.

HOW THE HECK is someone on a web forum supposed to know about what you know about someone?
Very few humans have passed mind reading 101 successfully, be clear in regards to your knowledge/relationship with someone you mention in a post.
How long do you want my posts to be? Either I have to leave out some information, or write a thousand pages, which no one would read anyway.

I try to assume that people will expect I am not lying or being ridiculous. If I say someone is a little senile, it's not just made up out of thin air.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Funny, I just looked back through this thread and I see no one telling you to get to a psychiatrist or getting "drugged." Nor any "certain disasters." I only see you predicting and saying that's what you'll get from posting here. I can only speak for myself and certainly didn't tell you any such thing.

Perhaps you can point me to those posts.

As for a "minor aggravating incident" – well, that is a characterization that doesn't seem to hold up. To me, your reaction has been something more than to a minor incident. So, am I "victim blaming" to say you might have handled things differently?
The incident was VERY MINOR. I posted it as an observation about human nature.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Funny, I just looked back through this thread and I see no one telling you to get to a psychiatrist or getting "drugged." Nor any "certain disasters." I only see you predicting and saying that's what you'll get from posting here. I can only speak for myself and certainly didn't tell you any such thing.

Perhaps you can point me to those posts.

As for a "minor aggravating incident" – well, that is a characterization that doesn't seem to hold up. To me, your reaction has been something more than to a minor incident. So, am I "victim blaming" to say you might have handled things differently?
Well you didn't look too hard. Psychiatrists definitely recommended. And once that gets going, it escalates, I get more aggravated, it becomes ever more obvious to them I need "help." And psychiatric help these days means drugs, in case you didn't know. Which I wouldn't take even if I were mentally ill, but fortunately I am not.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:36 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
No. My name here is Good4Nothin because I joined CD when I retired. It was supposed to mean I am not contributing to the economy anymore, at least not full time. It was not meant to be serious. But people who want to diagnose me always take it so seriously.
Interesting....you sound like an angsty kid who doesn't at all know themself...not like a retired person with a PhD in psychology teaching an intro course. Of course it is true that many people go into psych because they're messed up and want to figure themselves out - that just usually happens before they retire.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
The experience I had with those guys had no permanent effect on my life. I have had many more positive experiences with open mics than negative.

Why didn't I post about all the positive experiences? Well, what is there to say about a positive experience? Should I post my positive experiences along with the negative?

I knew at the beginning there would be at least one or two people saying I must go to a psychiatrist immediately and get drugged, or I will head for certain disaster. All because I described a minor aggravating incident.

Musicians I know complain about this kind of thing all the time. If I had complained to a live person instead of here, NO ONE would have told me to go get drugged.
Then maybe you should have posted it in a musicians' forum instead pf psychology.

We have no idea if you're mentally ill, but it's obvious that you're hostile and don't like to be contradicted. I've never encountered anyone so sensitive and vehemently reactive on this forum, and that means SOMETHING.

I agree that your anger is self-directed. You should give your students a personality profile of yourself and see what they think I only minored in Psych, and I can tell that this thread alone is a case study.

I live near Nashville, where we have open mics for breakfast, lunch AND dinner, and I don't know how you ever manage to fit a guitar strap around the chip on your shoulder. You'll never believe it's there, but I promise you it is. And I'd bet any amount of money I had that it causes 99% of the major AND "minor aggravations" in your life.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:43 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
Quote:
Well you didn't look too hard. Psychiatrists definitely recommended. And once that gets going, it escalates, I get more aggravated, it becomes ever more obvious to them I need "help." And psychiatric help these days means drugs, in case you didn't know. Which I wouldn't take even if I were mentally ill, but fortunately I am not.
1. Smack smack smack smack ... Who here can direct me to the post numbers with psychiatrists suggested?

2. Yes, I've seen your posts over in Health and Wellness and Alt Med.

Woe is me. I iz a dope and uniformed.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:49 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
The experience I had with those guys had no permanent effect on my life. I have had many more positive experiences with open mics than negative.

Why didn't I post about all the positive experiences? Well, what is there to say about a positive experience? Should I post my positive experiences along with the negative?

I knew at the beginning there would be at least one or two people saying I must go to a psychiatrist immediately and get drugged, or I will head for certain disaster. All because I described a minor aggravating incident.

Musicians I know complain about this kind of thing all the time. If I had complained to a live person instead of here, NO ONE would have told me to go get drugged.
Maybe because you talk so dramatically about what you later say is such a minor thing? You change your story as you get advice you don't like - it's common enough on here.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:59 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:

I really hate being treated like I don't exist. I am quiet and not assertive, so maybe very assertive people think I want to be ignored?
Then stop acting like you don't exist.

Quote:
...looked at me once and asked if I were going to play. I just made a "who knows?" gesture, and looked over at Ned and Ted. My guitar was right there in its case. It was no secret that I did not come just to listen.
You are an adult. No one is going to coax you like a child and say, "please play something". They acknowledged you, you did not take the cue and say, "Sure I have been practicing. I will play, let me know if you like it".

You admit you are quiet and not assertive. It is not their job to get you out of your shell. Stop playing mind games and expect other adults to know what you want to do. You gave them the gesture of "who knows", how were they suppose to know that you actually did want to play??!

Old 03-30-2018, 03:01 PM

It is the same pattern every time I post something at CD. At first, there are interesting comments, some understand, some have ideas to add. Then there are one or two that are highly critical, and I might get sucked in and debate them. Then a couple more enter who are critical, but moreso. The interested commenters leave. Then the nasty angry ones appear. I stupidly argue with them, they get nastier. It gets worse. I remember why I promised myself NEVER to post anything personal at CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology