Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 07:49 AM

341 posts, read 285,280 times

Advertisements

If an alcoholic stops drinking, is he still an alcoholic? If so, was he an alcoholic years before he had his first drink? For example, was Jim Morrison and alcoholic when he was four years old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 09:49 AM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
Ah the old catch-22. If you admit to being an alcoholic, well then you're an alcoholic. If you deny being an alcoholic, well then you're REALLY an alcoholic because denial is one of the most surefire signs that someone's an alcoholic. So I guess everyone's an alcoholic?
AA cult members 100% believe that everyone who has ever had a sip of alcohol is an alcoholic.

While consensus certainly exists that alcoholism is a disease, AA is much more akin to a religion/cult than a scientific cure for that disease.

I understand that the way it was illegally forced upon me obviously soured my view, but I also have spearheaded an intervention on my best friend who subsequently has used AA to save his life. I understand that it has merit for those who need it, but they need to really focus on those who need it and not play games with people who don’t.

A successful, healthy, high-functioning member of society who has never had an alcohol-related incident should never be immediately judged as an alcoholic simply because someone else leveled an unfounded accusation and that person then was honest about enjoying alcohol.

As I said earlier, god forbid I ever encounter those freaks again the answer is, “I’ve not had a sip of alcohol since our last meeting and if you attempt to press me into rehab using ‘denial’ I will sue you for breaking federal law.”

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-12-2019, 11:52 AM

17,800 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Some are coming from a place of bravado/ ego. Saying that alcoholism is not a disease, when it clearly is. Alcoholism is a disease
People are confused by this because the "disease" of alcoholism is caused by the physical, mental and sociological changes that chronic drinking causes.

A person's genetics, social environment, mentality, education, mental health all play into whether a person develops drinking habits that evolve into Alcoholism.

A person who is predisposed to alcoholism could probably still get drunk just a few times a year and never develop full blown alcoholism...............but that's usually not what happens.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:59 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
People are confused by this because the "disease" of alcoholism is caused by the physical, mental and sociological changes that chronic drinking causes.

A person's genetics, social environment, mentality, education, mental health all play into whether a person develops drinking habits that evolve into Alcoholism.

A person who is predisposed to alcoholism could probably still get drunk just a few times a year and never develop full blown alcoholism...............but that's usually not what happens.
Generally agree with all this. People want to simplify things like alcoholism into neat black and white categories, declare it a "disease" or an "addiction" - because it is easier to accept that way.

But one thing is certainly true. Regardless of how or why the victim gets there, full blown alcoholism is hell on earth. It brings devastation to the individual and their family and often leads to premature death. Anyone who thinks they can get out from under the grip simply because they "want to" really doen't understand the body and brain of an alcoholic.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:17 PM

3,191 posts, read 1,280,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
If an alcoholic stops drinking, is he still an alcoholic? If so, was he an alcoholic years before he had his first drink? For example, was Jim Morrison and alcoholic when he was four years old?
For alcoholics, it is all or nothing. There is no between. It would either be drinking too much alcohol or no alcohol at all. Not even one beer.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:21 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post

Old 07-12-2019, 01:29 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
No not alcohol. A different demon but I am 5 days now without & it sucks despite it’s being for the best.

I have this stupid genetic variant that disrupts my seratonin metabolism & I am normal ‘with’ it, not ‘without’ it. My family keeps asking me what ‘wrong with me’, lol. It’s also the therapeutic drug of choice for a medical condition & I could start having seizures if I stay off of it.

I wish it were opiates because that would be so much easier.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:29 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I do not think that alcohol or other drug addiction is a disease.
You may have the addiction gene where you are more likely to become an addict than someone who doesn't have it.
But in the end, you CHOOSE if you put your needle in the arm or smoke that joint. No natural force or contagiousness makes you addicted against your will.

You have a weak character or low self discipline or self esteem and choose to take drugs. Maybe you are just curious or very young. It feels awesome but then your common sense should tell you that it is too dangerous to keep doing it because "addiction" is no sudden surprise, everyone knows you become addicted if you keep doing it. A weak person aka the one with the addiction gene will want the warm feeling no matter what the consequences are and a person who is strong will not.

This opinion is not backed up by any science, just my personal experience with friends and drug experimenting.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:13 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Weak gene??? Okay now it's called that ..
Where was I when the society to twist things convened?

Here's the deal...I was 100% acountable for my daily recovery. I was not responsible for being strong enough to last three days in a drunk stupor. Yes it takes much strength to hate yourself that much that you'll pour a poison down your throat to cease the shame from purging out your skin and mouth.

I didn't have diabetes as a kid..yet I have it now. It's a disease ...a malady.
So too with my alcholism. Sure I can tell a social drinker from a full blown alcoholic. It's that kind of brotherhood/sisterhood. Best line in recovery said to me..was::hey, just do two things in recovery: 1: stay away from the first drink. ..and..
Change everything about you! Don't worry well give you the rest of your life to do those two simple things.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:52 PM

312 posts, read 277,581 times
AA provides a framework for alcoholics to get together and address their problems. It is not a cult. There are many different types of meetings and if you're motivated you can find one that suits your personality and needs.

AA groups can seem cliquish at first, partly because the courts force unwilling alcoholics to go. They show up once or twice and then disappear. The regulars hesitate to engage with them because they are not serious. If you need help and are serious about recovery, the group will help you.

If nothing else, meetings provide a distraction (something to do) at a time when idle hands are surely the devil's workshop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology