Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:32 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,182,383 times

Advertisements

I live near this proposed location and I'm not getting what the big deal is. How is this any different from the police substation that used to be in the Wal-mart shopping center near Pleasant Valley or the current substation in the shopping center near the corner of Falls of Neuse and 540?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 05:39 PM

4,480 posts, read 11,650,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I live near this proposed location and I'm not getting what the big deal is. How is this any different from the police substation that used to be in the Wal-mart shopping center near Pleasant Valley or the current substation in the shopping center near the corner of Falls of Neuse and 540?
I'm not all that familiar with what goes on at a police substation - would you have large (55 seat) buses come in to pick up or drop off groups of detainees?

Old 07-09-2011, 05:44 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,182,383 times
Perhaps not of that scale, but you have plenty of detainees going in and out of a police substation. I used to work near the one on Glenwood and we'd see guys in cuffs going in all the time, and sometimes coming out of their own free will. As far as I know there was no increase in crime in the area.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:09 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,354,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I've put in plenty of bollards. What you see in front of a store is nothing close to stopping a 15000 pound truck at anything over 5 mph.
Right, but there are bollards that do meet the 15,000 55 mph standard and they don't look much different. A quick google check will show you some examples.

The federal buildings in downtown raleigh appear to have them. I'm not sure their presence is anything that would be a problem in a commercial zone since bollards are common already.

Look, I'm not saying this is the best use of the location, but the 15,000 55 mph protection requirement is not a strong point to argue when making a case against it since it isn't specific to and ICE facility (it is required of all federal buildings) which are located throughout the triangle.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 07-09-2011 at 10:33 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 10:24 AM

646 posts, read 1,508,016 times
Go and keep thinking about crime... Look most of the illegals are working painting, sheetrocking and landscaping around the triangle. They are trying to keep a low profile... The people that are causing trouble are good ole American citizens who .. well are just looking for trouble.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:53 AM

273 posts, read 914,546 times
Default Thurs July 14 ICE Meeting 5:00 Green Hope Elem

Cary Ice Meeting
5:00 pm Thurs July 14
Green Hope Elementary
Cary NC 27519

A community meeting with representatives from the General Services Administration (GSA) and Dept of Homeland Security (DHS) will be held this Thursday July 14 at 5:00 pm at the Green Hope Elementary (that is ELEMENTARY) Gym at 2700 Louis Stephens Drive, Cary. For complete information to get the most up to date facts please see the the stopcaryicenow.org website.

Please attend the meeting, express your views and ask questions. Continue calling every elected official you have to let them know how you feel. Multiple calls from each member of the same household and business are encouraged so don't hesitate. The time is now.

This meeting is just ahead of the Town of Cary Council meeting that begins at 6:30 also on Thursday in Town Hall Council Chambers (possibly any council members who attend will do so before their own meeting).

Let's put some sunshine on this process, finally.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:52 AM

88 posts, read 221,819 times
I believe there's a political agenda behind this thrust to put the ICE center in this particular location in Cary.

I suspect that it is meant to create conflict between people pushing for stronger immigration policies (preventing illegals entering country and working here) and how to actually implement them.

The Homeland security folks (politicians?) who are behind this idea would have expected strong pushback in a community known for its central planning and organized resistance for things that don't make sense in this community.

I believe that some may want to portray us as NIMBYs and Xenophobes and force this issue with this location.

Thing is, as this thread shows, we are not NIMBY's nor Xenophobes. We clearly feel:
- We're ok with an ICE facility in our town. We've already hosted one and we support ICE's mission.
- Placement of an expanded center should make sense and integrate into the community.
- Current location is inappropriate. A facility that handles busloads of detainees is not suited in a stripmall with heavy foottraffic by children from neighboring developments.
- This type of facility should go into commercial / industrial zoned areas. Cary has many of those and sure we could find the right location.

I think we can control the image of our town as a sensible representation of the attitudes and fairness of communities across the country. Let's stay on message and not let the national media try to portray us in a bad light (as they try with the Wake Schools issue).

Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 AM

9,157 posts, read 14,840,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Right, but there are bollards that do meet the 15,000 55 mph standard and they don't look much different. A quick google check will show you some examples.

The federal buildings in downtown raleigh appear to have them. I'm not sure their presence is anything that would be a problem in a commercial zone since bollards are common already.

Look, I'm not saying this is the best use of the location, but the 15,000 55 mph protection requirement is not a strong point to argue when making a case against it since it isn't specific to and ICE facility (it is required of all federal buildings) which are located throughout the triangle.

You are right, there are many legitimate reasons why this facility should not be in a retail location. I was just pointing out that to meet the requirements of the RFP, a ring of bollards and gate meeting the 15,000/50mph requirements would have to go around the entire perimeter of the building and/or parking lot, not just a few at the front door. In my opinion, that is a very strong point against it and is the most outwardly visible hint that this is far from a retail use.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:24 PM

513 posts, read 1,608,520 times
They scraped the idea....party over

Old 07-12-2011, 01:25 PM

43,527 posts, read 77,558,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshallen View Post
They scraped the idea....party over
Thanks for the news flash...

Get the Facts - ICE in Cary (http://www.townofcary.org/Departments/Administration/pio/factsheet-caryice.htm - broken link)

Price: Feds back off proposed immigration office in Cary :: WRAL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary