Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 AM

149 posts, read 206,841 times

Advertisements

No ... I don't think it's completely a case of "Yankee (or other nickname of someone who is not a native of the RDU area) go home". At least it isn't for me. Because of the sad job situation in this part of the world, my husband now works in another state, so I suppose I write from another POV.

It's just that we will probably have to brace ourselves for still another onslaught of people with starry eyes and big dreams thinking that this is the land of economic milk and honey. This place is NOT doing that well. Not even vaguely close. But now, people will think that this is a boom-town because of articles like these, which, quite frankly, can be extremely misleading.

I have no problem with people who do the research, go through all the usual prudent channels, snag a job here, THEN move. There is much that is good about the area, and much that is not ... just like most parts of the country. But I feel we need to warn people that if you find yourself starry-eyed and jobless here, this can be a bleak place. Very bleak. Depending on your field [(health care professionals may fare a little better than other fields, for instance), as well as other factors (such as age), there may not be a new job around the corner for a long time.

Last edited by gazania; 06-13-2012 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazania View Post
No ... I don't think it's completely a case of "Yankee (or other nickname of someone who is not a native of the RDU area) go home". At least it isn't for me. Because of the sad job situation in this part of the world, my husband now works in another state, so I suppose I write from another POV.

It's just that we will probably have to brace ourselves for still another onslaught of people with starry eyes and big dreams thinking that this is the land of economic milk and honey. This place is NOT doing that well. Not even vaguely close. But now, people will think that this is a boom-town because of articles like these, which, quite frankly, can be extremely misleading.

I have no problem with people who do the research, go through all the usual prudent channels, snag a job here, THEN move. There is much that is good about the area, and much that is not ... just like most parts of the country. But I feel we need to warn people that if you find yourself starry-eyed and jobless here, this can be a bleak place. Very bleak. Depending on your field [(health care professionals may fare a little better than other fields, for instance), as well as other factors (such as age), there may not be a new job around the corner for a long time.
You can't assume that people do not have a job or people need a job!

Many of the retired folks that I work with do not want/need to work. They are retired and just want to move to an area that they will enjoy. They have done their research and may have family in the area. Some just ask questions and are pounced upon with "you need a job" before you move comments.

Many of the folks that I work with that don't have a job have enough savings to tide them over until they find a job. Yes, many people know what they are doing when they plan to relocate and come to city-data with questions. Again, they don't need to be told "you need a job".

Vicki

Old 06-13-2012, 08:41 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
If people stop coming, who would buy all those houses for sale?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I don't mind if people move here if we have the infrastructure to support them. But that's not really the case as we can see from overcrowded schools, overcrowded roads, etc etc.
Yes. That's another of my concerns.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If people stop coming, who would buy all those houses for sale?
LOL. Or keep all our realtors employed.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 AM

Vicki? I somewhat disagree. Hence my comment about those who aren't coming with retirement (or similar funds) moving here.

My guess is that the people we are all concerned about aren't typically buying homes, so you may not be selling them houses.

There are tons of new people in the apartment complexes nearby. How many of them have jobs? Will find jobs that last and can sustain them and their families? This area is not out of the recession yet.

So, if people are reminded about finding work before they come here, why is that a bad thing?

People who don't need to work usually respond by stating that jobs are no issue, they're on a retirement pension, etc. Good. By all means, move here. Retirees are less likely to clog the roads at rush hour or have kids who need to fit into overcrowded schools.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 AM

43,302 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

So, if people are reminded about finding work before they come here, why is that a bad thing?

The rudeness manifests itself when posters are braced about their means when they have not raised the question, when it is tangential to the original post, and when it is done without offering any information that relates to their query.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The rudeness manifests itself when posters are braced about their means when they have not raised the question, when it is tangential to the original post, and when it is done without offering any information that relates to their query.
This always amazes me as well. If I came here to ask a question about relocation, after thinking long and hard about it and getting all my ducks in a row, and someone's only response was "make sure you have a job first" I'd be like "what the....." I mean it's just down right dumb.

Yes, there were people who moved here without a job. My sister was one of them and it's all worked out great for her. BUT....this was back when the housing bubble hadn't burst yet and people were selling homes elsewhere and taking the cash here and buying outright. You could actually move here without a job and get by with a position at Harris Teeter till something in your field came along. I don't think that scenario exists to that extent anymore. People are losing equity hand over fist in the areas where people have been coming from. Last time we were on Long Island we walked through our old neighborhood and looked at some houses that people bought for $650K, knocked down and rebuilt a McMansion. And my DH said "how underwater do you think these people are?" Answer - they won't be coming to NC any time soon, whether they have a job or not.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 AM

43,302 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
This always amazes me as well. If I came here to ask a question about relocation, after thinking long and hard about it and getting all my ducks in a row, and someone's only response was "make sure you have a job first" I'd be like "what the....." I mean it's just down right dumb.

Yes, there were people who moved here without a job. My sister was one of them and it's all worked out great for her. BUT....this was back when the housing bubble hadn't burst yet and people were selling homes elsewhere and taking the cash here and buying outright. You could actually move here without a job and get by with a position at Harris Teeter till something in your field came along. I don't think that scenario exists to that extent anymore. People are losing equity hand over fist in the areas where people have been coming from. Last time we were on Long Island we walked through our old neighborhood and looked at some houses that people bought for $650K, knocked down and rebuilt a McMansion. And my DH said "how underwater do you think these people are?" Answer - they won't be coming to NC any time soon, whether they have a job or not.
"Where's the best NY Pizza?"

"And, just how are you planning to pay for that?"

Old 06-13-2012, 09:47 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I don't think most people care if relocators come here. Not if they have retirement money and/or a job lined up.

It's the unemployed who come here that are of concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzania

this. these boards are hardly representative of the number of people coming to the area but look, even here, at the number of people who ask questions about moving here without employment or savings. that is of concern, yes. that would be of concern no matter where we lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary