Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:27 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times

Advertisements

The rude drivers are usaully from the north. In the last 5 years it has been increasing to the point of noticing easily. Most natives wont lay on a horn for any reason. Maybe they realize that after one beep its useless other than to drive people nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 08:35 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I have beeped when someone is a jerk before. I wouldn't beep in the situation described probably, but if somebody dangerously cuts me off, as a native Southerner, I'm not above beeping to express my displeasure. More often on the rare occasions when I use my horn those it's just a tap to let somebody who is napping know that the light changed.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:58 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royals82 View Post
boocake, I've been driving for 17 years and have maybe been flipped off 6-7 times. 2 have come in the last month. I can't explain it. I am new to the area so I do slow down at intersections and certain crossroads to make sure I'm turning onto the right street. There is just no patience here. You brake for a half a second and the person behind you goes insane. What's the rush? Isn't this the slow pace south everyone talks about?

Just so you don't think I'm crazy I'll tell you exactly what happened this last time I got flipped off and run off the road. I'm exiting 1 onto Cary Parkway.. I just get on the ramp to exit and the guy behind me lays on his horn.. non stop laying on his horn. I realized the van in front of me was going fairly slow down the ramp (maybe 30-35). Sure I was going maybe 40-45 and had to slow down but no big deal. But this guy wouldn't stop with his horn and the lanes were full to the left and right so he couldn't get around me. So I swerved a bit to show him the guy in front of me was driving a little slow and holding us up. And still he doesn't let up on his horn. Finally we turn onto cary parkway and at this point he's maybe 2 inches from my bumper revving his engine still laying on his horn. Then when a space opened up next to me he flies into it and swerves next to me almost touching my car and flips me off. My blood was boiling and I lose my cool and flipped him off back and mouthed some choice words at him. This was stupid as I had my toddler with me. He continues to swerve into me forcing me off the road. So I gave up, slowed down and he sped away.

Never in my 17 years of driving have I come close to anyone being that rude and careless and selfish... never.

One more story for you of the biggest jerk I've met that happened here. My wife and I are in line at cowfish at northills to put our name in to the hostess. The couple in front of us get to the hostess and are talking to her for maybe 30 seconds when this guy behind me sticks his face over my shoulder (literally maybe 8 inches from my face) and says what the f*** is this pr*** saying to the hostess is he just f***in around. My wife and I were both floored. We thought maybe he was just joking so we sort of laughed in awkwardness and it was clear he wasn't joking. It happened on our first house hunting trip here so we took it for an anomaly but after driving here for a month now I'm not so sure. There are some people here that are just some of the rudest selfish inpatient people I've ever come across.

Fortunately for every jerk I've met I've met some really awesome people. So it evens itself out, but seriously the driving and road rage stuff needs to stop. Someone in the govt needs to address this issue. The first impression of a city is usually driving into it or driving from the airport to your hotel. It's embarrassing.
Ahh... Cary Parkway... I feel your pain.

I sometimes wonder if people who are new to the area think that "Parkway" implies that this road is some sort of 55+ speed limit highway. This is the source of most of my travel frustration while in Cary. I don't find these many issues anywhere else, except maybe over on Walnut near Crossroads, but that's a screwy area.

Sorry, royals. That really sucks.

The Cowfish thing? That HAD to be an anomaly. LOL.

You two must have found that SO bizarre!

Old 10-25-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
The rude drivers are usaully from the north. In the last 5 years it has been increasing to the point of noticing easily. Most natives wont lay on a horn for any reason. Maybe they realize that after one beep its useless other than to drive people nuts.
Yeah... we tend to be of the "Honk loudly when someone scares the hell out of you with their bizarre cut off style of driving" (like what poppydog mentioned)... or the "light tap on the horn" thing that people do when it is VERY clear that someone doesn't realize the light has changed.

I say "very" clear, because I have noticed lately that unless I gun it when a light changes, someone WILL honk at me. I mean, do I really want to gun it? No... I drive a fuel-efficient vehicle for a reason.

But, do I sit there forever? No... I'd say not longer than 10 seconds after a light would I ever sit there. Lately, I feel like I can't even glance off the light for a second to look at something new at/near the intersection for fear of being honked at repeatedly the second the light changes.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Wow...I live in Raleigh outside of the downtown area and my office is just west of the Airport in Morrisville, and I haven't seen the kind of road rage everyone describes here...Parts of Chicago, sure, and occasionally in Minneapolis, but WOW.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:48 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I think that's bull. To me, the rudest drivers are the ones that don't use their turn signal and prohibit you from making a turn ONLY to see that they turn right next to you.

Lack of turn signals is a southern thing IMO.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I think that's bull. To me, the rudest drivers are the ones that don't use their turn signal and prohibit you from making a turn ONLY to see that they turn right next to you.

Lack of turn signals is a southern thing IMO.
No... honking like crazy and flipping people off? Rude.

Not using a turn signal and messing up traffic flow? Rude.

Being a screwed up driver is not unique to any part of the country, unfortunately.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:10 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Where are you folks driving that you're getting honked at and flipped off? I've lived near High House/55 for 17 years and have never seen this. I've heard a quick horn tap at someone who's sitting after the light changes to green but have yet to see anything worse than that.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:12 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
I come from the NYC area and I have to say I am surprised by the amount of people who speed and tailgate in Cary. I try to stay close to the speed limit after all the posts I have read about speeding tickets, but it is amazing how many people do not.

I have never been honked at in Cary. Chapel Hill is another story. We were visiting the area and I got honked at twice within a hours for not gunning my car as soon as the light turned green. I was very surprised and mad.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Where are you folks driving that you're getting honked at and flipped off? I've lived near High House/55 for 17 years and have never seen this. I've heard a quick horn tap at someone who's sitting after the light changes to green but have yet to see anything worse than that.
Doesn't happen to me very often. Like I said... maybe 2 or 3 times in the past 20 plus years.

I dunno where, it's been so long.

I should explain. I hate the instant horn tap thing. If people moved here for the laid back life, they need to actually get more laid back. Yes, do tap the horn if it's very clear that the person in the car is paying no attention whatsoever.... but, give a person time to move forward. I've been at a light and had to shift into park to pick up something I dropped, rub a cramp out of my knee, etc. And I see the light change, and I shift out of park and into drive so that I can move along, but some impatient driver 2 cars behind is all over the horn before I can shift from park to drive. It's ridiculous. I mean, this isn't even during rush hour. If you have to be everywhere THAT fast? You'll want to get sirens and a louder horn, buddy. That's just my take on it. People aren't stupid, they will move forward. Give'm a few seconds before hitting the horn.

It's noise pollution. I find it just as annoying as people whose bass is so loud that it makes MY car vibrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary