Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rythemdevi View Post
I received email yesterday with subject line "Your Time Warner Cable service just got better". Anyone received similar email, zip code 27519. I have old modem so I can't check the speed boost, currently on 15/1 so it will be 50/5, I believe.
Yep. got the same one in 27519...we'll see how it works out. I'm on Turbo so expecting 100/10 after a reboot. I wonder if that's why the Duke Energy police where lurking about yesterday? Too much Powa!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 09:41 AM

33 posts, read 83,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRaleigh View Post
Why is everyone so excited about the speed increase? 99% of users don't do enough online to even notice a difference.
For me

1)More for money
2)I'm a sys admin that works from home 2-3 days a week. Helps A LOT to have a faster connection for remote sessions to servers
3)My secondary backup to the cloud for my personal computers, and Dropbox uploads of pictures and videos happen much quicker now because my upload is over 5 times faster than it was a few days ago.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:53 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmiv View Post
For me

1)More for money
2)I'm a sys admin that works from home 2-3 days a week. Helps A LOT to have a faster connection for remote sessions to servers
3)My secondary backup to the cloud for my personal computers, and Dropbox uploads of pictures and videos happen much quicker now because my upload is over 5 times faster than it was a few days ago.

Honestly, for me the upload speed is the most important part of this and fiber upgrades in general. 1-2 meg up just does not cut it anymore.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:19 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Honestly, for me the upload speed is the most important part of this and fiber upgrades in general. 1-2 meg up just does not cut it anymore.
Agreed.
And that is where GOOG and ATT are talking like they might eat TWCs lunch.
In another year, we will be saying, "20 Mbps up doesn't cut it."

Old 07-16-2015, 12:19 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,155 times
I have removed Adobe Flash from my systems (for security reasons) and found a lot of speed test sites won't work without it.
I have found a few that don't use Flash
SpeedOf.Me, HTML5 Speed Test | Non Flash/Java Broadband Speed Test
Pure HTML5 Internet Speed Test. No Flash or Java!
TestMy.net Broadband Internet Speed Test

Last edited by pitroad; 07-16-2015 at 12:41 PM..

Old 07-16-2015, 12:27 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
I have removed Adobe Flash from my systems (for security reasons) and found a lot of speed test sites won't work without it.
I have found a few that don't use Flash
SpeedOf.Me, HTML5 Speed Test | Non Flash/Java Broadband Speed Test Pure HTML5 Internet Speed Test. No Flash or Java! TestMy.net Broadband Internet Speed Test
I removed Flash, and had to reload it. And I finally found that Skype add-on wouldn't let it load and install.
What a mess. LOL

Old 07-16-2015, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 4,761 times
Hi- I live in Morrisville and noticed last night that my us/dis lock light was blinking with no internet connection. I turn all off (TC8715D modem 16 channel bridged to asus router) and went to bed and in am turned all back on and noticed for first time I had a 16 channel lock(previously only 8). I am still getting same speeds as before the 16 channel lock 60 down and 6 up. I have an ultimate account so should be getting 300 down. Has anyone in Morrisville gotten the 300 down? Will TWC still need to allow for the 300 down in hopefully short future? I seems some people have the 16 channel lock but it took some time for them to get the highest speeds. Is there anything else I need to do to get the higher speeds eg call TWC to make sure they have the speeds set up properly on my account? Thanks.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:36 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
I haven't seen any reports of Morrisville folks getting the speed bump. The move to 16 channels doesn't automatically mean you should have MAXX speeds...it just means they're making progress on the infrastructure. Just be patient and hang in there a bit longer.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,392 times
For those in Cary, NC (27511) here is the information I just received from TWC via chat. The rep said this info was in my account info:

"I see that you will receive Action letters and emails regarding the Maxx speeds on 07/21/2015 and the speeds will be upgraded on 08/11/2015."

So, it looks like those of us in Cary don't have all that long to wait. BTW, this is in line with info I received a couple of weeks ago while speaking with a Tier 3 tech who was helping me with a provisioning issue.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:16 PM

121 posts, read 177,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceDJ123 View Post
For those in Cary, NC (27511) here is the information I just received from TWC via chat. The rep said this info was in my account info:

"I see that you will receive Action letters and emails regarding the Maxx speeds on 07/21/2015 and the speeds will be upgraded on 08/11/2015."

So, it looks like those of us in Cary don't have all that long to wait. BTW, this is in line with info I received a couple of weeks ago while speaking with a Tier 3 tech who was helping me with a provisioning issue.
Thanks; I'm in 27511 also and have been rebooting every so often. I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary