Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 02:29 PM

20 posts, read 18,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
I'm going to have to call TWC and see what's going on... I'm supposed to have 300/30 now and I'm lucky if I'm seeing 95/25. I'm also seeing speed tests/downloads initially jump up to 70-80 and then drop quite a bit to a lower speed than I had prior to the upgrade.

Needless to say I'm quite annoyed.

I am having same problem. Called TWC and they are sending someone out next week...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 05:37 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,624,666 times
AT&T couldn't give me a reasonable rate after my current round of discounts expired, so I'm back with the evil empire. Signed up for 30/5 service and got this:

Can't really complain about that!

Old 11-06-2015, 08:36 PM

240 posts, read 239,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobra View Post
Getting Extreme TWC. Just curious besides the SB6183 is anyone running a different modem for the 300 MBs service? I see Zoom 5370 / CM500/600 as alternative modems. Have read some TWC Forum chats where the SB6183 had software issues.
CM500 here, getting 235 down and 23 up on the extreme plan

Old 11-06-2015, 10:47 PM

235 posts, read 423,593 times
anyone experiencing frequent modem reboots? it's been happening a lot this week, and today, I think it happened like 10 times already.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,067 times
27519 Got my connection "upgraded" to MaXX and it completely ruined my connectivity. I have a server in Europe. I am getting 25 KB/s when I do sftp. I wish my connection stayed at 25/5. I was consistently getting speeds of 20-25 mbps before TWC ruined it with MaXX. Desperate for google fiber to show-up.
Also those with MaXX, do a speedtest and pick a server somewhere in south america or europe. I just picked a random server in brazil and my speeds are like less than 1 mbps.

Those who are not upgraded yet, you are the lucky ones !!!! What a mess

I will have to call TWC and see if they can do something. I just want them to undo this upgrade I did not ask for.

Supposed 120/10 MaXX speeds

Last edited by csrihari; 11-07-2015 at 06:14 AM..

Old 11-07-2015, 11:22 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrihari View Post
27519 Got my connection "upgraded" to MaXX and it completely ruined my connectivity. I have a server in Europe. I am getting 25 KB/s when I do sftp. I wish my connection stayed at 25/5. I was consistently getting speeds of 20-25 mbps before TWC ruined it with MaXX. Desperate for google fiber to show-up.
Also those with MaXX, do a speedtest and pick a server somewhere in south america or europe. I just picked a random server in brazil and my speeds are like less than 1 mbps.

Those who are not upgraded yet, you are the lucky ones !!!! What a mess

I will have to call TWC and see if they can do something. I just want them to undo this upgrade I did not ask for.

Supposed 120/10 MaXX speeds
Are these speeds from a wireless router or from a hardwired connection to the modem? I ran into this initially when I though my wireless router could handle the speeds. Low download but the upload was a Maxx speeds. Hardwire to the modem showed 110 down and 11 up.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Are these speeds from a wireless router or from a hardwired connection to the modem? I ran into this initially when I though my wireless router could handle the speeds. Low download but the upload was a Maxx speeds. Hardwire to the modem showed 110 down and 11 up.
These are wireless. I can try wired but my router is absolutely fine. Before upgrade, I was consistently getting 25 mbps down(which is the least I expect now), so it is unlikely the router suddenly developed an issue. Also, the problem is, I did see 115 down on the day it was upgraded. Since then,speedtest is all over the place(in the range of 1mbps to 60mbps). And bigger problem is my sftp speeds to my server. They were perfect for the last several months but since upgrade, I get less than 50KB/s(irrespective of what speediest shows). Sure, I will check wired but I am not that hopeful. I plan to get on a call when I get some free time to convince TWC to send a technician.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:59 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,582 times
It's pretty funny how when it's free and it works, it's great. But when it isn't working all of a sudden it's "this upgrade I never asked for." Just interesting to note.

Not seeing the 300 here I should be, for what it's worth.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:38 PM

235 posts, read 423,593 times
Quote:
These are wireless. I can try wired but my router is absolutely fine. Before upgrade, I was consistently getting 25 mbps down(which is the least I expect now), so it is unlikely the router suddenly developed an issue. Also, the problem is, I did see 115 down on the day it was upgraded. Since then,speedtest is all over the place(in the range of 1mbps to 60mbps). And bigger problem is my sftp speeds to my server. They were perfect for the last several months but since upgrade, I get less than 50KB/s(irrespective of what speediest shows). Sure, I will check wired but I am not that hopeful. I plan to get on a call when I get some free time to convince TWC to send a technician.
Can you do a speedtest via dslreports.com, I find the speedtests from there are more consistent.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:09 PM

142 posts, read 179,159 times
Quote:
These are wireless. I can try wired but my router is absolutely fine.
Just a quick note, you could have the best wireless router in the world but not get even a fraction of the spec'd speeds if the RF environment isn't good. Things that can mess you up:

* Lots of other Wireless traffic from your neighbors
* Building materials that distort or block RF signals
* Suboptimal client adapters and/or software

That said, there are many others that are having issues to varying degrees in upgraded areas. One of my neighbors struggles to get over 65M down while I'm regularly seeing over 300/20, with 350/23 being regular occurrence. My assumption is there is a glitch in provisioning that is likely corrupting CM files (cable modem configuration that includes your service profile with speeds, number of IPs, etc.), but that's just a guess from someone on the outside looking in that happens to have a little DOCSIS infrastructure experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary