Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 08:04 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,917,024 times

Advertisements

This advice is not applicable to folks in apartments, but I would just note that if you ever have electrical or other work done and have a good excuse to fish cabling in your walls, wiring your home for LAN connectivity (CAT5e/6) sufficient to support gigabit-plus network speeds is a great investment in your structure.

With a gig-E switch in the basement, I know I'm all set for AT&T/Google and probably for 10-15 years+. Not sure what I'll do when 10 Gb speeds come but of course, we'll need the applications for that ahead of justifying rewiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 12:22 PM

663 posts, read 1,620,328 times
Whoo hooo, My late 2006 built home has cat-5e through out the house, even garage. the previous owner might have been fond of wired rules!
However, the unmanaged switches in the "distribution box" in the garage I think aren't gigabit capable. But cheap to replace if I choose too.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:23 PM

663 posts, read 1,620,328 times
BTW all those folks who want to buy a cable modem, one is on sale now and it's a good one. It's never been $49 that I recall

Zoom DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem - Slickdeals.net

Old 12-29-2015, 07:05 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,093,900 times
So Salisbury, NC gets 10 Gbps before RTP.

The First US City With 10 GB Internet Is ... Salisbury | WIRED

Making matters worse is the fact that my TWC "upgraded service" has been unstable and suffers from relatively high pings.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:14 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
They've had some real issues the last 2-3 days so it could be that, unless it's going back a while. There have been a decent number of people that the upgrade screwed things up for them or allowed problems previously there to show up, so call TWC about it.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:45 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,093,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
They've had some real issues the last 2-3 days so it could be that, unless it's going back a while. There have been a decent number of people that the upgrade screwed things up for them or allowed problems previously there to show up, so call TWC about it.
I hate calling TWC's tech support because the people in the Philipines are under the mistaken impression that my service caps out at 50 Mbps.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:08 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
So Salisbury, NC gets 10 Gbps before RTP.

The First US City With 10 GB Internet Is ... Salisbury | WIRED

Making matters worse is the fact that my TWC "upgraded service" has been unstable and suffers from relatively high pings.
Often times smaller communities can leap-frog larger ones as it's easier to implement new technology. This even goes for 3rd world countries. Instead of them using older technology they are adapting and basically skipping the stuff we have implemented over the past 10-20 years and going to the stuff that hasn't gained broad adaption yet, like LED bulbs.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:51 PM

166 posts, read 419,201 times
I just looked at my mom's TWC bill and they have her down for "Extreme Internet". She's supposed to have "Standard Internet". I know she didn't do it because she doesn't know anything about how broadband works so she just says "no thank you" and hangs up on them when they call. Has anyone else seen TWC randomly change their package level without permission?

Old 01-03-2016, 08:55 PM

225 posts, read 216,990 times
I am still paying less than $30 for 2M. Best I can afford. They will still charge me $10 more to gain 1M.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:34 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrick View Post
I just looked at my mom's TWC bill and they have her down for "Extreme Internet". She's supposed to have "Standard Internet". I know she didn't do it because she doesn't know anything about how broadband works so she just says "no thank you" and hangs up on them when they call. Has anyone else seen TWC randomly change their package level without permission?
They may have just changed the name of the tiers since they upped speeds. I haven't actually looked at my bill cinch the change last month to see what it's called. Just saw the rate was the same. Has her bill amount gone up any?

Either way, if she doesn't want or need the higher speeds, it's a good opportunity to cut back down to something closer to what she had before for less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary