Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2015, 07:19 AM

59 posts, read 69,587 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth (and not to take away from the problems anyone else is experiencing): my MAXX is working perfectly, and if you're not using TWC for internet, I'd suggest you make the switch during this gap period until Google Fiber launches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 10:21 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Staples has the SB6183 in their Black Friday flyer, @ $99.99.
I suspect they will have some competition, but still a pretty good price.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:13 PM

142 posts, read 179,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltown View Post
For what it's worth (and not to take away from the problems anyone else is experiencing): my MAXX is working perfectly, and if you're not using TWC for internet, I'd suggest you make the switch during this gap period until Google Fiber launches.
Totally agree!

Both unfortunately and lucky for us, we have MAXX and it's the only option for Internet service. Thankfully, infrastructure is in place to provide Google Fiber in our neighborhood. 300/20 is a great in-between service!

Old 11-09-2015, 08:27 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,091,305 times
Since my service got upgraded I've been running a speed test about once a week. A couple weeks ago I noticed that my pings improved dramatically. As an avid on-line video gamer this is a pretty big deal for me. So not is TWC providing more bandwidth but apparently they're also improving their network.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:05 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
I'm running better since yesterday's power outage.
Results from wireless, downstairs and below the room where the router is (100/10 plan):

Old 11-09-2015, 08:18 PM

88 posts, read 221,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltown View Post
for what it's worth (and not to take away from the problems anyone else is experiencing): My maxx is working perfectly, and if you're not using twc for internet, i'd suggest you make the switch during this gap period until google fiber launches.
+1

Old 11-09-2015, 08:23 PM

88 posts, read 221,296 times
Like others, the unintended consequence of having more bandwidth is the ability of one's wireless router to be able to handle the speeds.

Long story short, I went to costco and purchased the Netgear Nighthawk 6900 (model made only for costco, specs same as Nighthawk 7000). Big mistake, over a period of 3 days, had a HORRIBLE experience. While the wireless router was high powered and fast, it didn't work reliably at all. Many glitches including complete disconnects and/or overloading of the router.

Needless to say, that router is going back to Costco.

I replaced the router with the TP-Link ArcherC9. Costs $50-60 less than the Netgear (purchased with my Amazon Prime) and found just as powerful (if not more so) and super stable. I'm on the 200/20 plan and getting 212/23 consistently. Wireless routers and brands can be very hit or miss. I heartily recommend this model!

Old 11-10-2015, 07:08 AM

97 posts, read 115,334 times
My husband and I have a very good router, even the technician was impressed by it saying we could run a business off of it. But lately our internet is SO slow. Only one of us can be online at a time or the other gets kicked off. Streaming is terrible. We are paying for their highest level of speed as my husband works from home and needs fast internet. We have called but each person is less helpful than the last. They all just blame our modem/router which is perfectly fine and purchased in April. This all started when they supposedly updated their speeds. Is anyone else having issues like this? Also, when we DVR things, it cuts out and skips. They couldn't help me with that either. But it isn't happening to the show when it is live, so that's a DVR thing. Anyone else having that issue?

Sorry, I didn't read through the 95 pages on this thread. hehe. But I skimmed through some of them...

We never had issues like this with Verizon. Im hoping we can change to Google soon! I feel like I am flushing money down the toilet with them lately.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:54 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin257 View Post
Im hoping we can change to Google soon!
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...r-rollout.html
"Raleigh official: Google Fiber rollout 'at least two years' away"

Old 11-10-2015, 08:09 AM

455 posts, read 919,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igolfchip View Post
Like others, the unintended consequence of having more bandwidth is the ability of one's wireless router to be able to handle the speeds.

Long story short, I went to costco and purchased the Netgear Nighthawk 6900 (model made only for costco, specs same as Nighthawk 7000). Big mistake, over a period of 3 days, had a HORRIBLE experience. While the wireless router was high powered and fast, it didn't work reliably at all. Many glitches including complete disconnects and/or overloading of the router.

Needless to say, that router is going back to Costco.

I replaced the router with the TP-Link ArcherC9. Costs $50-60 less than the Netgear (purchased with my Amazon Prime) and found just as powerful (if not more so) and super stable. I'm on the 200/20 plan and getting 212/23 consistently. Wireless routers and brands can be very hit or miss. I heartily recommend this model!
I just picked up the Archer C7v2, but I'm still having issues with the TWC speed at the modem level. I'm off tomorrow, so I'll be calling them..

That said, I've been using TP-Link equipment for a few years and it's always been a great cheap alternative to the bigger names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary