Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 05:00 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,377 times

Advertisements

I'm not opposed to it if I have to, in order to solve this problem once and for all...but do I really need to buy $350 worth of equipment just to have reliable, stable, Internet, that can be accessed anywhere in a normal size property, supporting the speeds I pay for in the first place?

Genuine question, as I am not interested in a ton of research and just want to go w what folks know works well, I'm uneducated here. Just seems wild to me that there aren't cheaper solutions for modem/routers that would do this, perhaps this is overkill. But perhaps not?

BTW model I'm using now is a Ubee, modem/router combo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 05:14 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,377 times
For example, found a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Router (R7000) and Netgear CM500 cable modem for $200 shipped.

Is this a "get what you pay for" situation, or for a guy who just wants to surf the Internet and download files and play games w great speed and range, will the mid range or cheaper stuff suffice?

Old 07-23-2015, 05:31 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,211,001 times
Doesn't TWC include the modem and wireless router for the Extreme & Ultimate service levels? For standard/turbo, the modems run $60-$80 and a suitable router would start around $40. You can rent both from TWC if you don't want to make the investment.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:24 AM

235 posts, read 423,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
I'm not opposed to it if I have to, in order to solve this problem once and for all...but do I really need to buy $350 worth of equipment just to have reliable, stable, Internet, that can be accessed anywhere in a normal size property, supporting the speeds I pay for in the first place?

Genuine question, as I am not interested in a ton of research and just want to go w what folks know works well, I'm uneducated here. Just seems wild to me that there aren't cheaper solutions for modem/routers that would do this, perhaps this is overkill. But perhaps not?

BTW model I'm using now is a Ubee, modem/router combo.
There should be cheaper routers that would work as well. When I bought my router, I used smallnetbuilder.com to do my research. They have a ranking of routers in terms of range and throughput:

Router - Ranking

btw, their current #1 for 2.4G and 5G range is the Nighthawk.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:29 AM

115 posts, read 277,191 times
I just ordered this TP-Link gigabit router from Amazon and will have it to try out this weekend. It's got very good reviews and it's cheaper than most AC routers.

TP-Link AC Router

Old 07-23-2015, 08:11 AM

169 posts, read 419,387 times
This thread pains me. TWC has wronged so many people across the US for decades, and now everyone is just happy to turn a blind eye now that they are being forced to be somewhat competitive now. I encourage you all to look into other carriers as they come up (Centurylink, Google Fiber, etc), and not be blinded by the carrot they are dangling in front of you all. The service will still vary wildly (speeds come and go), pings will still suck, and the outages will continue, since they don't know what they are doing at a company level.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:20 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,773,090 times
The best thing to do is seperate your WIFI from your modem. The combo units always seem to have more complaints than seperate. Also, that way, if you upgrade your modem or change providers, you can just keep the WIFI as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
This thread pains me. TWC has wronged so many people across the US for decades, and now everyone is just happy to turn a blind eye now that they are being forced to be somewhat competitive now. I encourage you all to look into other carriers as they come up (Centurylink, Google Fiber, etc), and not be blinded by the carrot they are dangling in front of you all. The service will still vary wildly (speeds come and go), pings will still suck, and the outages will continue, since they don't know what they are doing at a company level.
If you've read the thread you will see that there has been plenty of discussion of other internet providers and many participants are just waiting until they come, but that does not mean we cannot enjoy the increased speeds until then.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:24 AM

43,310 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post

Who has clean hands?
GOOG? No.
ATT? Hardly.

It's just a crummy business overall. And we are highly dependent on it.
Sometimes it is a matter of the devil you know, and I have never suffered with TWC like others say they have.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:32 AM

169 posts, read 419,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The best thing to do is seperate your WIFI from your modem. The combo units always seem to have more complaints than seperate. Also, that way, if you upgrade your modem or change providers, you can just keep the WIFI as it is.

If you've read the thread you will see that there has been plenty of discussion of other internet providers and many participants are just waiting until they come, but that does not mean we cannot enjoy the increased speeds until then.
I see, the thread is 48 pages long. I tried to hit certain pages to get an idea, but all the pages past the halfway mark seemed to be talking about speeds people are getting, and modem talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Who has clean hands?
GOOG? No.
ATT? Hardly.

It's just a crummy business overall. And we are highly dependent on it.
Sometimes it is a matter of the devil you know, and I have never suffered with TWC like others say they have.
I never said AT&T, but I have to call shouting, screaming, yelling BS on the Google thing. Whatever their motives, Google is doing something equivalent to the creation of the US highway system. Sure, maybe they just have a very "end game" view of this investment, but there is no doubt that internet speeds would not be anything like they are today if not for Google Fiber. Google is THE reason Centurylink is providing fiber in my neighborhood, not technology being ready. Technology has been ready for 10-20 years. Google should get a damn humanitarian reward, or a Nobel Peace Prize for this. The telcos and cable companies would not have done this, because there was no reason to. They were all making money, with basically status quo being accepted. Same thing happened in the smartphone market. Even if you hate Apple and love Android, you have to thank Apple for coming in and getting the intense competition started, forcing companies to start innovating and advancing the technology at a rate we had never seen before.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:39 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,773,090 times
I agree. People can certainly point out that Google does some "interesting" stuff regarding search and other stuff, but the Google fiber terms of service are pretty clear. They are not snooping or inserting ads in your web pages, they are not making you pay more to not get snooped like ATT and actual Net Neutrality is codified in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary