Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 09:21 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,686 times

Advertisements

27518 in Cary - no upgrade so far. sigh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 06:22 AM

252 posts, read 276,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Still getting 45-60mbps down consistently w new non-TWC router and modem. Should have done this a long time ago. For those with inconsistent speed issues, poor router performance, etc....get rid of the TWC junk. I didn't even do any of the dd-wrt tomato stuff or whatever, just plugged the modem in, activated it w TWC, plugged router in, boom, instant optimal Internet.
This is exactly what I did, I bought a new router and a SB6141 this past weekend. Getting 58mbps down and 7mbps up consistently. The TWC provided modem is junk.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 AM

142 posts, read 179,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
Centurylink gigabit fiber. Funny thing was, the TWC rep didn't believe me. "Centurylink doesn't have fiber, they only have like 6meg internet". I told her I can send a screenshot of my 850mbps up/down with a 9ms ping speedtest.net result, lol.
Congratulations! I can't wait to join the GigFiber club in, hopefully, 6 months or so since Google has already pushed conduit through my yard

Old 08-04-2015, 09:38 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
It will be interesting to see how soon Google comes back and does rhe neighborhood level infrastructure. So far, from what I see walking around, it's main line stuff.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:03 PM

169 posts, read 419,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
It will be interesting to see how soon Google comes back and does rhe neighborhood level infrastructure. So far, from what I see walking around, it's main line stuff.
I haven't really looked to see how things happened in Kansas City or Austin, but I imagine we'll see a large influx of contractors in the area. When there are storms and such, you'll see them coming from other states to make some quick money. I imagine we'll see a similar thing happen with the usual people, or workers migrating from whatever city Google rolled out last. I've been talking about this with co-workers for a while, about how I imagine huge waiting lists, because there is just going to be so much work to be done to get it to everyone's house or business.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:04 PM

142 posts, read 179,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
It's definitely beyond main line/ring stuff, they've already installed multiple vaults in Morrisville. First construction is in Kitts Creek subdivision. Breckenridge just started last week as well.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:45 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Interesting. I mentioned in the other thread it looks like they will be starting on the fiber hut soon.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:15 PM

703 posts, read 780,690 times
Not sure if it's been posted here or not yet (as I've not read all 55 pages of posts) and apologize in advance if that's the case, but my enthusiasm for both the AT&T and Google Fiber is waning quite a bit based on something I've been told about both offerings...

For internet service, both Google and AT&T will apparently offer two different 1GB products:
- one fairly low priced offering in which you allow the provider to collect your browsing history and to provide advertising, based on that history.
- one offering that will not collect browsing history nor provide advertising, but will cost roughly the same as what the 300MB service for TWC currently is.

Anyone have any knowledge or insight to the truth of this?

Old 08-07-2015, 03:30 PM

166 posts, read 419,151 times
As far as I know, AT&T is the only one specifically offers different pricing for different levels of privacy...

AT&T charges $29 more for gigabit fiber that doesn

Quote:
AT&T offers different prices based on how jealously users guard their privacy. AT&T's $70 per-month pricing for gigabit service is the same price as Google Fiber, but AT&T charges an additional $29 a month to customers who opt out of AT&T's "Internet Preferences" program.
Quote:
Google told Ars that Google Fiber does not track users' browsing history. Google also doesn't offer different pricing levels based on privacy selections made by its fiber customers. But Google already tracks users across its own Web properties regardless of whether they also subscribe to Google Fiber.
With that said, anyone who believes for a second that their ISP isn't already tracking where they go on the Internet (even when they claim they are not) is either an idiot or in denial or both. If you really need guaranteed privacy from your ISP, then you need to pay for a VPN service. Though... how much do you trust your VPN service?

Old 08-07-2015, 06:44 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
Google Fiber doesn't do any specific tracking beyond what Google already does when you're online. They don't have two different prices for gigabit...it's just a single $70/month price for standalone.

https://fiber.google.com/legal/schedule/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary