Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 11:02 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelle View Post
bosox - what's drawing us - slower, less stressed lifestyle, more affordable, more space (land - my husband LOVES gardening and would love a mini farm!), more families around, LESS diversity, less snow......
Mod edit

Also FYI.... Nassau and Suffolk Counties in NY both have higher proportions of non-hispanic white residents (66% and 72% respectively) than Wake County, NC (61%). The two suburban LI counties are also much more segregated than Wake County or most areas of NC.

Thus; your desire for "less diversity" would actually be easier to achieve in your current neck of the woods

Last edited by RedZin; 01-09-2016 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 01:48 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Mod edit

Also FYI.... Nassau and Suffolk Counties in NY both have higher proportions of non-hispanic white residents (66% and 72% respectively) than Wake County, NC (61%). The two suburban LI counties are also much more segregated than Wake County or most areas of NC.

Thus; your desire for "less diversity" would actually be easier to achieve in your current neck of the woods
The OP never stated what type of diversity. Could be politically, cuturally or many things. Either way, a person can live where they feel more comfortable (there is nothing wrong with that, as it has been asked many times) and there is a lot more to the total package they listed, than just this one item.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:59 AM

256 posts, read 266,466 times
Minutiae - funny you mentioned that I shouldn't worry about the little things - I didn't even bring up the pizza topic, LOL. This thread just got a lot of "side notes" and I was merely responding to them.

TarHeelNick - I almost didn't mention the word diversity bc I didnt want to send off the wrong vibe or start an argument, so I am going to leave that subject alone. One thing I will say though is that if for argument's sake we decided to stay here, the cheapest house in our town of choice is 600K - so in this sense it is surely not easier to achieve!!!

There was an article that was put out this week stating that Wash Dc is the most expensive place to raise a family in the US, and that Nassau/Suffolk is the second - in the entire country!! So I think my husband and I are on to something here......I may post a thread based on that article bc the results are astonishing.

Thanks for your input North Pinellas Guy

Last edited by Chapelle; 01-09-2016 at 06:30 AM..

Old 01-09-2016, 11:26 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north_pinellas_guy View Post
the op never stated what type of diversity. Could be politically, cuturally or many things. Either way, a person can live where they feel more comfortable (there is nothing wrong with that, as it has been asked many times) and there is a lot more to the total package they listed, than just this one item.
I guess that's your prerogative to take that stance. I think I'd put money on "LESS diverse" to mean "less brown people around" in this case though.

Just providing the stats to show that Wake County does not provide that compared to where she lives now. She's looking for a comparison; otherwise it wouldn't have been brought up.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 01-09-2016 at 11:38 AM..

Old 01-09-2016, 01:57 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Regarding racial diversity, I like the Racial Dot Map. One dot per person: The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I guess that's your prerogative to take that stance. I think I'd put money on "LESS diverse" to mean "less brown people around" in this case though.
Even if it is, that should be okay. I mean, I often see people moving there and other places asking for brown, black, polish, italian, retired, kids, no kids, gay/lesbian, etc locations. Moving to another area can be a tough deal for some people and sometimes being around people with similar backgrounds and possibly similar interests can make the transition easier. I am sure it is just that simple.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:38 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Regarding racial diversity, I like the Racial Dot Map. One dot per person: The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.
And people don't think the Cary/Morrisville area is diverse.

HA!

Take a look at "ITB," "Midtown," and "North Raleigh."

Nuff said.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
The OP never stated what type of diversity. Could be politically, cuturally or many things. Either way, a person can live where they feel more comfortable (there is nothing wrong with that, as it has been asked many times) and there is a lot more to the total package they listed, than just this one item.
But, Nick has a point in that "less diverse" is harder to achieve in a growing area like the Triangle. As the map that poppydog posted points out.

Unless the OP wants to move to the areas that have more dots that match the OP's ethnic/racial background, though there are getting to be fewer and fewer homogeneous areas close into the core of the Triangle, either way.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:49 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That's a really cool site - thanks for posting!

Old 01-09-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But, Nick has a point in that "less diverse" is harder to achieve in a growing area like the Triangle. As the map that poppydog posted points out.

Unless the OP wants to move to the areas that have more dots that match the OP's ethnic/racial background, though there are getting to be fewer and fewer homogeneous areas close into the core of the Triangle, either way.
Oh, yes. I agree. I love the map.

One thing some people may not realize is how segregated many parts of the northeast are, especially compared to the Raleigh/Durham area. We lived in the northeast for decades and the area was broken down into sections of Irish, Polish, Asian, Black, White, Hispanic, you name it....so many different types of categories. What happened over many decades is that families from overseas moved to the area and then their extended family and their friends move to the same area to be close to them. It was comforting for people being near family and friends, after such a huge move. It ended up being segregated, simply because of the influx of people from different countries. When we moved to the Raleigh/Durham area, we noticed how much more integrated things were. It is a completely different demographic layout, than many parts of the northeast. I am not at all saying one is better than another, but some of the areas are completely different in that aspect. So when people ask for areas with this or that, there is an aspect of familiarity they may be looking for. Moving is a big change for many people and they just want to feel as comfortable as possible during the transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary