Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:59 AM

256 posts, read 266,445 times

Advertisements

Long Story Short, my husband and I have had it with living in NY. This plan on a move is a big deal, because we would be leaving everyone behind....HOWEVER, my brother and sister would consider moving with their kids, so if that happens, then my parents will come along and we will transplant the whole side of my family!!

My husband and I are planning to spend the weekend in Raleigh at the end of February to check things out - we have never been down there, so we are rookies so to speak!

We are choosing Raleigh bc it is not as far west as Charlotte, and have heard many good things about it. Also, it seems as though a good chunk of New Yorkers have moved there.

Anyone living there now from NY? Is it as good as they say?

We have 3 kids - ages 5,9,12. What suberb would you recommend we check out first?

I will leave at this for now, have many more questions, but I will post them as separate threads as time goes on. Thanks for your input in advance!!!

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 01-05-2016 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Requested thread title change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 10:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelle View Post
Long Story Short, my husband and I have had it with living in NY. This plan on a move is a big deal, because we would be leaving everyone behind....HOWEVER, my brother and sister would consider moving with their kids, so if that happens, then my parents will come along and we will transplant the whole side of my family!!

My husband and I are planning to spend the weekend in Raleigh at the end of February to check things out - we have never been down there, so we are rookies so to speak!

We are choosing Raleigh bc it is not as far west as Charlotte, and have heard many good things about it. Also, it seems as though a good chunk of New Yorkers have moved there.

We have 3 kids - ages 5,9,12. What suberb would you recommend we check out first?

I will leave at this for now, have many more questions, but I will post them as separate threads as time goes on. Thanks for your input in advance!!!
Why are you moving here? Just for a change? For work?

Those details might help people direct you.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:14 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Unless you're retired, you'll be working, right? Thus you'll really need to know where you'll be working before anybody can give a "blanket" suggestion of a suburb. It's a very sprawling, spread-out area and commutes can be very long from one side to the other.

I would definitely suggest you come visit before putting the cart before the horse asking for neighborhoods or suburbs. If you've never been and are just going on hearsay, a trip to visit should precede any other questions, followed by scouting the job prospects in your field.

You should come here because you want to be HERE, not because you want to be "away from NY". Lots of places are that.

A former moderator put together this thread, recommended for people to "read this first" before starting other threads; it has a lot of info.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-photo.html

But I would say look into a lot of cities, especially if you've never even been here and have no job prospects. Your question is kind of like someone saying "I'm moving to NY, what suburbs should I look into?" with no other info--impossible to say, right?

Old 01-05-2016, 10:15 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,379,700 times
Quote:

Cary.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 AM

sure, ok! sorry, this is my first post, so I am new to this!

Well, we would like to move. Not quite sure until we check things out. I am a pharmacist and my husband is a lawyer. I am currently a stay at home - or trying to be. He has his own practice here, but it is not easy. We are looking basicallly for a better quality of life. NY is just so packed with people, there is traffic everywhere, most people are non friendly, to live in NY leaves you with a face paced, super stressed out life!! My husband feels like he worked a yr and a half this year, and we are still struggling to make it financially. Don't get me wrong, NY has ALOT to offer, but we will need to sit down and list the pro's and con's of both states and make a careful decision in the end.

If we move, we hope to have a house with a yard and lots of kids on the block.

We may be imagining things, but I would hope that this is possible! The houses here are 500k and up. We are currently living in my late grandparents house, and its fine, but its just the every day living here is not what we want for our kids when they grow up.

Basically we are worried that when our kids get older and go to college, they may never come back. It is nearly impossible for young couples to start a family here - it is just too darn expensive!!

So we figured if we have a shot at it, if there is indeed a better place than where we are now - we want to investigate. We hope to possibly move to NC and have our oldest go to the university in chapel hill, but we are well aware of the residency requirements in order to get the residency tuition rate at the college, which is why we are starting to look into this now. Because we would only have 5 years left if we were to move before she started college.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:24 AM

Francois - well, yes, we want to move bc we want to leave NY, that's for sure, but we are not just "picking" Raleigh, we have done some research and spoken to some people about it. We are just drawn to it, which is why we are stopping in next month. I guess the best question to ask is, how should we plan out our weekend if we want to get a feel for it there?

i read over the "read first" thread, but the other one has 750 posts - yikes lol

Old 01-05-2016, 10:40 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,976,234 times
I would uh have some concerns about your income situation if you're thinking you can subsist off of one income of an attorney

I'm sure your husband understands the condition of the legal market and how much gets done just by 'who you know'

All this is to say I would hope he has his job situation nailed down tight and can compete with local lawyers for jobs (lots of experience, great law school, whatever)

Also expect a pay cut.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:49 AM

yes, we are aware of a paycut - but we haven't even looked into the job situation yet. we are just looking to see if we would like raleigh first

I am hoping that the cost of living down there is low enough that taking a pay cut will still allow us to live comfortably - do you think?

It seems as though you don't think one income is enough - is that true? Don't get me wrong, I will definitely be working part time, but I was hoping my income would be "extra"

Old 01-05-2016, 11:03 AM

253 posts, read 236,193 times
I'm a lawyer who moved here from NY (though I'm originally from the South). Check it out, but don't move without a job. The legal market's picking up, particularly in certain areas of law, but it's still not great. I actually had a significant salary increase when I moved (my job in NY was pretty awful), but my BF (also a lawyer) moved as well--his salary stayed the same, but he had to buy a car--he figured out that with the cheaper cost of living+car payment was about equal to his monthly expenses in NY. It's definitely fewer hours/less stress, though.

Also, has your husband been practicing long enough to waive into NC? (5 years). The NC bar exam was MUCH harder than NY, especially if you try to study and work at the same time, so being able to waive in would be useful.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:05 AM

5,325 posts, read 3,209,309 times
Quote:
Francois - well, yes, we want to move bc we want to leave NY, that's for sure, but we are not just "picking" Raleigh, we have done some research and spoken to some people about it. We are just drawn to it, which is why we are stopping in next month. I guess the best question to ask is, how should we plan out our weekend if we want to get a feel for it there?

i read over the "read first" thread, but the other one has 750 posts - yikes lol
I think it would help if you said specifically what, in your research, draws you here, or what people said that made you pick this area.

Every community in this area has been #1 in some "poll du jour". For example if trick or treating suits your fancy, the Mayor of Cary indicated that Cary is #1 for trick or treating.

Seriously, though, all of the surrounding towns have their pluses and minuses, but overall each town is good in its own right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary