Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2023, 06:26 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
Badfinger apparently played there in 1971, located on Lane Street from what I found with a quick search.
Covering Sublime before they were even born!

You know you're from Raleigh if you've argued for more than a minute which is better, Char-Grill or Snoopys. (Chargrill for the nostalgia, Snoopys for the better food IMO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 01:35 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Covering Sublime before they were even born!

You know you're from Raleigh if you've argued for more than a minute which is better, Char-Grill or Snoopys. (Chargrill for the nostalgia, Snoopys for the better food IMO)
Snoopy's burgers can't touch a hamburger steak jr. Snoopy's for dogs and Char Grill for burgers and fries.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Snoopy's burgers can't touch a hamburger steak jr. Snoopy's for dogs and Char Grill for burgers and fries.
Honestly, I'd take Cook-Out over both of them. (Also an NC company, I think.)

I've never been impressed with Char-Grill, and my only real experience with Snoopy's was at 2AM, and when I was about 20 years younger than now. Under the circumstances, I'm pretty sure that ANY food would have tasted great, so not the best judge. (Not sure why, but never been a fan of Char-Grill, and I've been many times.)

Old 01-17-2023, 03:08 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Yeah, I wasn't that impressed by Char-Grill.

Old 01-17-2023, 03:33 PM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Everyone knows Snoopy's is for hot dogs, and Chargrill is for burgers, so no need to argue.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Everyone knows Snoopy's is for hot dogs, and Chargrill is for burgers, so no need to argue.
Um, if there was no need to argue, there would not be internet forums.

My argument is that Snoopy's vs Char-Grill is a false set of choices. Between the two, you might be right, but there are better burgers than either.

BTW, for a sit-down burger, I've found MacGreggor Ale House in Cary is consistently great. They get pretty 'average at best' ratings on Yelp, so maybe I'm just lucky, but they are a reliable choice, and also have good/cheap/cold beer and other good menu items. Great fried pickle chips too!

Old 01-18-2023, 04:29 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnet View Post
Though I remember clearly frequenting The Cat's Eye often, I am very fuzzy on The Other Eye, although I can't imagine not checking it out at some point in time. Any info on the scene, location (where on Lane St?), years in operation, bookings , size, exterior/interior would be helpful. This might be the club I'm blanking on. Sounds like you would be an excellent primary source.
The Other Eye location…if you were coming into downtown Raleigh on Capital Blvd, turn right onto Lane St. and the club was the second building on the right. It was a large space with a big dance floor. My memory is sketchy on bookings, but I remember Nantucket played there often. I can’t remember how many years the club ran there, but I went in ‘71, ‘72 and ‘73.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnet View Post
I saw Badfinger at All Campus Weekend on the NC State campus during April 1971 (April 17?). For their opening song they covered a Steve Miller tune, My Dark Hour. Funny how some memories are so clear. Would like to know from what website you got your info.

BTW- I'm seeking this info because I am currently writing a memoir about those days. And I have written a couple of screenplays set in the Triangle and other NC locales during those times. So piecing together factual touchstones has been a current project of mine. This website is a rare revelation. Thanks for the replies.
I went to All Campus Weekend in 1972. Saw Blue Oyster Cult and Alice Cooper.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
That’s the way it was for me anyway.

Old 01-18-2023, 06:58 PM

130 posts, read 109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
That’s the way it was for me anyway.
I write GRILL next to Hot Dog on the order sheet!!!! Only way to go. I’m an all Char-Grill guy myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary