Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2023, 07:40 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,500,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Honestly, I'd take Cook-Out over both of them. (Also an NC company, I think.)

I've never been impressed with Char-Grill, and my only real experience with Snoopy's was at 2AM, and when I was about 20 years younger than now. Under the circumstances, I'm pretty sure that ANY food would have tasted great, so not the best judge. (Not sure why, but never been a fan of Char-Grill, and I've been many times.)
Ditto. It was more like 10 years ago for me whit Char Grill after a few choice beverages in downtown Raleigh. I'd pick Cook-Out 8 days a week over Char Grill.

I'm not sure if it "counts" since it's not the OG downtown; but I have been meaning to give them another go around as the Strickland Rd location isn't too far from me.

I can respect the nostalgia others have for it. Maybe it's a generational thing? Cook-Out really got big during my teen/college years. That's about the time they really spread out throughout the whole state and started opening locations in other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 08:40 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Was not impressed last time I went to Char-grill. Mickey D's would have been far superior.

Old 01-19-2023, 03:47 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,933,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh72 View Post
I write GRILL next to Hot Dog on the order sheet!!!! Only way to go. I’m an all Char-Grill guy myself.
I never knew anybody that asked for grilled dogs at Char-Grill. Some people do prefer Char-Grill over Snoopy’s because of the Bright Leaf dogs and chili.

Last edited by Poggly Woggly; 01-19-2023 at 04:03 AM..

Old 01-19-2023, 07:12 AM

5 posts, read 2,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
The Other Eye location…if you were coming into downtown Raleigh on Capital Blvd, turn right onto Lane St. and the club was the second building on the right. It was a large space with a big dance floor. My memory is sketchy on bookings, but I remember Nantucket played there often. I can’t remember how many years the club ran there, but I went in ‘71, ‘72 and ‘73.
The Other Eye has got to be the club I was thinking of. Did not make the connection with the name.
Thanks for confirming PW.

ETA- Char-Grill for the win. Best carbon in the South. But Best Raleigh Burger in the Sixties- Red's on Hillsborough St beside the movie theater.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:00 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Ditto. It was more like 10 years ago for me whit Char Grill after a few choice beverages in downtown Raleigh. I'd pick Cook-Out 8 days a week over Char Grill.

I'm not sure if it "counts" since it's not the OG downtown; but I have been meaning to give them another go around as the Strickland Rd location isn't too far from me.

I can respect the nostalgia others have for it. Maybe it's a generational thing? Cook-Out really got big during my teen/college years. That's about the time they really spread out throughout the whole state and started opening locations in other states.
Cook Out is a relative newcomer in Raleigh to people my age. Back in the day, Chargrill, the one on Hillsborough St, was one of the best local alternatives to big fast food places like Mc Donalds, plus it was just a unique place. Snoopy's and Circus were too.

I do think nostalgia and tradition have a lot to do with Chargrill's continued popularity, and Cook Out is definitely strong competition, but they're still a solid choice in my opinion. That said, I feel like the loss of the old building will put a hurting on the nostalgia factor.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:54 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Cook Out is a relative newcomer in Raleigh to people my age. Back in the day, Chargrill, the one on Hillsborough St, was one of the best local alternatives to big fast food places like Mc Donalds, plus it was just a unique place. Snoopy's and Circus were too.

I do think nostalgia and tradition have a lot to do with Chargrill's continued popularity, and Cook Out is definitely strong competition, but they're still a solid choice in my opinion. That said, I feel like the loss of the old building will put a hurting on the nostalgia factor.
agree with 100% of what you said in this post. And yes, the nostalgia factor, and the related loss are both valid points.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnet View Post

But Best Raleigh Burger in the Sixties- Red's on Hillsborough St beside the movie theater.
The College Grill, but everybody knew it as Red’s. The burgers were awesome, but they sure were greasy. Red was fiery Irish guy from up North. I remember the place well.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
agree with 100% of what you said in this post. And yes, the nostalgia factor, and the related loss are both valid points.
Nostalgia and tradition. I was there when it opened in 1960, and continued going even after the new owners took over in the early 70’s. I hung on to that place until I left Raleigh, and there’s a part of me still at that Char-Grill.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:53 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Nostalgia and tradition. I was there when it opened in 1960, and continued going even after the new owners took over in the early 70’s. I hung on to that place until I left Raleigh, and there’s a part of me still at that Char-Grill.
Speaking of Nostalgia, I used to work for Border Cafe in North Raleigh. Not exactly a Raleigh landmark, but the owner was one of the people responsible for the Darryl's on Hillsboro, as well as he was partnered with the owners of Angus Barn and 42n Street, both of whom I would run catering events for. (Alice Eure dined at a restaurant I was chef at in Blowing Rock, we got to talking, yada yada yada, she introduced me to her partner at Border Cafe and I moved to Raleigh in 1992/93.)

Why I typed that?: Border Owner introduced me to the owner at that time of Char Grill, this would be 94-ish. Anyway, lots of good memories.

You know you are from Raleigh if you were sloppy drunk and sang Karaoke at Border Cafe on a Saturday night, hosted by Steve Quinny. (Or if you ever enjoyed my signature dish, "Chicken Mateo")

Old 01-19-2023, 02:53 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post

Looks like Cook Out began in Greensboro in 1989; which is when I was born. First time I remember going to Cook Out was when the one on Walnut Street in Cary opened early 2000s when I would have been in middle school. We would get it every once in a while on the way to or from Crossroads/Cary Towne Center.

Right after they widened US-1; it was even a fun rush to get there and back during lunch block from Apex High School.

Chapel Hill was devoid of cookout until just a few months ago; but when I was in school we used to go to the one on Hillsborough Rd in Durham OR in Hillsborough St in Raleigh when visiting friends at State. At the latter I had a wolf-pup student drive into me and my date while were sitting on a bench that backed to the parking lot even...but still a good memory!

A big-double trey with corn dog and chix quesadilla and Cheerwine.... for FOUR DOLLARS total! (ok it was closer to 5 with tax)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary