Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 03:25 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Yes, but remember that Denver had an established, multi-line rail system relied on by a significant portion of their population before they pursued a link to their airport. Their first light rail line opened in 1994; the link to the airport opened 22 years later in 2016. They didn't insist that the connection to the airport get built FIRST THING, which is what you (and others, who have been poisoned against rail transit here by this argument.)

The general public flies, what, MAX ten times a year. The business traveler who flies more often is usually on an expense account, so what motivation do they have to not (1) take Uber, which offers door-to-door service and is more expensive (but hey- expense account!) or (2) Drive and pay to park in the deck (again, expense account!)

You have to build a transit system for people who would ride it every day - at least to start with, anyway.

Please take a look over my post history. I am generally not one to promote conspiracy theories. But this lie about RDU and a rail system has been repeated so many times that it has somehow become fact in the minds of the public, to the point where any time I talk about rail transit with anybody, even generally progressively minded people, they repeat it almost out of reflex.
Interesting, I didn't realize that about Denver's rail system. Thanks for the FYI on that. As for your post history, nah I don't need to dig into that. I trust you orulz, I've seen you post on here for years and years. Same with over at UrbanPlanet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 04:39 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
Regarding airport parking lot revenue:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...29/story7.html

and, it really grew

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...0-percent.html

Old 11-04-2017, 07:13 PM

164 posts, read 143,862 times
Instead of a rail link to RDU, what about running dedicated buses on a route from the nearest light rail station, or the proposed Triangle Metro Center. And/or circulators between the nearest hotel clusters and commercial parking lots?

Old 11-04-2017, 08:06 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeerHeer View Post
Instead of a rail link to RDU, what about running dedicated buses on a route from the nearest light rail station, or the proposed Triangle Metro Center. And/or circulators between the nearest hotel clusters and commercial parking lots?
That's what the current proposal has with shuttles from the Morrisville station on the Durham-Raleigh commuter rail to RDU

Old 11-04-2017, 08:33 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
That's what the current proposal has with shuttles from the Morrisville station on the Durham-Raleigh commuter rail to RDU
And the airport authority has said they support it.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:53 PM

After walking pretty much both sides of Cary Town Blvd between I-40 and Principal Ln / Convention Dr, and a few excursions into the woods, I have a possible solution to the pedestrian underpass question. First off, there is a culvert crossing under Principal Ln at the traffic light. It is too far away from Fenton, runs the wrong way and is too short.

A second culvert is east of the gated stub road, and allows Walnut Creek to pass under CTB. It has two huge passages side by side, is the wrong size and shape and is also 40 feet below CTB.

The last culvert I found is west of the gated stub road, It seems to have the same size and shape as the one in the zoning report. However, there are some questions. It had flowing water (not dry and leaf covered like the picture in the report, but it could just have been dry when the report's picture was taken), it begins and ends with an unimproved stream bed and, at least at the southern end, did not have the graffiti shown in the report's picture. (I did not get close enough to the north end to investigate)

As far as I can figure, the third culvert would seem to be the one they call a pedestrian tunnel. Unless there is another that I missed.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
As far as I can figure, the third culvert would seem to be the one they call a pedestrian tunnel. Unless there is another that I missed.
A culvert is not a pedestrian tunnel......

Old 11-04-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
And the airport authority has said they support it.
The 100 route is also currently a great service from downtown Raleigh to the airport (every 30 min weekdays and Saturdays). Add improved service from Chapel Hill and Durham as well and that should be sufficient for the time being.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
A culvert is not a pedestrian tunnel......
True, although if it has a concrete floor and is wide and tall enough to walk through unimpeded it could be mistaken for one.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:19 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
The third one is probably the one mentioned in the summary. However it's probably "unintentionally" a culvert here. It looks like one but that's probably due to repeated flooding and sediment deposits.

Unless there's a fourth option you missed, but it seems like you were pretty thorough. Nice work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary