Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 02:40 PM

2,739 posts, read 1,335,417 times

Advertisements

https://www.wral.com/story/cary-s-as...ears/21272614/

The WRAL story cites that Ashworth owns the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 02:44 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Yes, they've owned it for many decades. And they own Ashworth Village.

Old 02-08-2024, 03:48 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
I’d heard from someone I generally trust that the Ashworth Village tear down and rebuild was because to huge redevelopment project next door wants to use the space while their project is underway. They’d approached the owners with an offer to tear down, cover lost rent, and rebuild in order to use it. If so, yeah, that’s hard to say no to. I’m sure the whole thing played into the Ashworth decision.

I always liked the idea of Ashworth’s better than the execution. The cheap hotdogs were fun once in awhile. But I doubt I’ve averaged once a year in the 6 years I’ve lived downtown. The shelves of the store part were such a hodgepodge. A lot of junk. I always thought it could work better if renovated and a heavy lean into nostalgia. A touch of Mast General Store, a touch of Cracker Barrel, etc. Have some great coffee, serve breakfast and lunch. Sell T-shirts and stuff. I love the building itself, and hope whatever goes in has a good vision for the spot.

Old 02-08-2024, 03:55 PM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I’d heard from someone I generally trust that the Ashworth Village tear down and rebuild was because to huge redevelopment project next door wants to use the space while their project is underway. They’d approached the owners with an offer to tear down, cover lost rent, and rebuild in order to use it. If so, yeah, that’s hard to say no to. I’m sure the whole thing played into the Ashworth decision.

I always liked the idea of Ashworth’s better than the execution. The cheap hotdogs were fun once in awhile. But I doubt I’ve averaged once a year in the 6 years I’ve lived downtown. The shelves of the store part were such a hodgepodge. A lot of junk. I always thought it could work better if renovated and a heavy lean into nostalgia. A touch of Mast General Store, a touch of Cracker Barrel, etc. Have some great coffee, serve breakfast and lunch. Sell T-shirts and stuff. I love the building itself, and hope whatever goes in has a good vision for the spot.
At the Barbers today and alot of the guys think S&T's Soda Shoppe (Pittsboro) could open a second location there and be successful.

Old 02-09-2024, 05:11 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Aren't they selling off the shopping center for redevelopment already?
Maybe the store building, too, if they got an offer too good to rationalize continuing to work retail?
In some Facebook posts, he has said they have several possibilities working and thinks the public will love what they end up leasing to. He also said he wants to keep the upstairs because of his office, and Hallmark storage. Whether that can be trusted or eventually what happens, who knows.

Old 02-10-2024, 01:12 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post

Agree - keep the concept, lose the current execution. Great location for something cool like that.

Old 03-05-2024, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Agree - keep the concept, lose the current execution. Great location for something cool like that.

Something like S&T Soda Shoppe (Pittsboro). They do exactly this sort of thing.... and do it well. People drive from all over to go there.

https://www.sandtsodashoppe.com/

Old 03-05-2024, 04:06 AM

Per Mayor in most recent blog https://mayorweinbrecht.com/

"The town hall campus issued an RFQ in May of 2023. Eighteen applications were submitted. The council has not seen these and is expected to review them before the end of June. The council’s process is only to select a developer before the public gets involved to help decide what should go on the town hall campus."

Still don't like the thought of this. Is it really necessary? Current Town Hall Campus, with it's walkable outdoor spaces including the gardens, fountains, and art (open to the public) has got to be one of the most lovely in the country... I would bet money. I have taken my family for many picnic lunches there -while exploring DT. So tranquil.....and shady! The building also still looks so new and modern. Raze (ruin) all this and put up what? More luxury apartments and condos Is this really best use of the land/property? Some developers must be offering TOC an offer they can't refuse.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:18 AM

Now that DT Cary Park is complete...and it is drawing all these families (as intended), IMHO, the area really needs more family friendly walkable dining options. Mostly just have "fancy" adult places around now [sushi (M), Loatian, Italian (Pros)]. Oh... and a bunch of bars/breweries. There is Crosstown and Serendipity for kids maybe...but what else...without having to cross Chatham? I think a family friendly Mexican place would do very well. Something like Armadillo Grill or Gonzas Tacos. What kid does't like cheese quesadillas? Just sayin, DT, especially close to around the new park, needs some family/kid/child friendly dining options.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:24 AM

218 posts, read 308,259 times
The breweries attract food trucks. Speaking from experience, there’s only one truer love than a weary parent and a beer: a child and a food truck.

More dining options is never a bad thing, but a larger, family-oriented restaurant in a dense, expensive town center is not a model for a restaurant to succeed (unless you’re willing to pay $15 for a rebranded Totino’s and juice box).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary