Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 05:34 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,450 times

Advertisements

Looks like this is back on the agenda:
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...223200545.html

"Commissioner Greg Ford, the board’s vice chairman, has proposed listing the property for the South Wake Park Project as surplus and, ultimately, selling it. He said he’ll have more information about the feasibility of that after a meeting with staff Wednesday."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 06:13 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,343,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I'm sure they'd be ecstatic, it would be quite a windfall for them, both financially and environmentally. Last I heard there were a small number of residents still trying to force a golf course on the property via the courts - if this does not get resolved then the whole deal with the park falls through. But not sure the latest on this.

I walked the park a few weeks back and it surely would be amazing. But when the county can barely fund the school system, it's hard to see where the money would come from. Perhaps a bond issue?
The county already spent money buying the property and that was money that did not go to the school system. They gave the district less then they asked for but they did buy the golf course.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:59 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
there's 143 acres, and it's owned ON THE CHEAP by the County. they could certainly retain a lot (50 acres?) of the high land for an elementary/middle school site and still have a park. they could even work in affordable/subsidized housing if they want.

I just haven't seen how/why they'd need to commit 20MM more to "developing" a park.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:51 PM

173 posts, read 313,189 times
Commissioner Ford is still trying to push the sale through on Monday.

Quote:
This afternoon, at my request, County staff approved the final documents in preparation for Monday's Board of Commissioners meeting, at which I will make my previously-shared motion asking that our new Board corrects the former Board's controversial single-vote majority decision to purchase a failed, private golf course in the middle of the Crooked Creek subdivision with the hopes of turning it into a future County park.

Wake County will continue its commitment to heavily invest in our future and a great quality of life through our robust parks, open space and greenways program. We will also return to building on Wake's solid record of preserving quality open space and advancing existing park projects with unanimous Board approval and full County staff support - a record that was tarnished by the contentious Crooked Creek purchase last year, pushed through amidst 2018's election year politics.
Source: Greg Ford for Wake FB Post

I haven't seen any objective reasoning for selling the land as surplus. But, it seems like this is personal for a few wealthy donors (mainly the Debnam and Campbell families) who contributed to several BOC candidates last year:

Quote:
"If I donate to you, I donate to you because I expect you to keep your word and do your job," Debnam said. "Right? And if you don't do that job, I replace you. So I think it is fair to say I did help put them in their seats, and if I can help get them out of their seats, I will."
Source: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...209008129.html

Old 01-07-2019, 06:47 AM

I assume Greg Ford knows he has the votes, so this could get interesting.

I just wonder what developer would want to buy this land, knowing that whatever happens it is going to get tied up in litigation for years.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:45 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
4.5MM for 150 acres of somewhat-developable land is cheap. Heck they could sell Wake County 30 acres, which is big enough for a middle or elementary (that's bigger than my elementary school, and the size of the nearest middle school).

Wake County bought some land last year in FV on the cheap - $2.9MM for 62 acres that are a bit oddly shaped. There's an odder-shaped 41 acre piece south of Hilltop-Needmore.

there's more than $1.5MM of value just in the 15.5 acre piece that made up the 8th and 9th hole. More than 1.5MM in the old 10th & 11th holes. When you get about 400 yards from H-N Rd on the west side of the parcel, it drops significantly and is largely flood-plain, which is fine for a nature park.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
4.5MM for 150 acres of somewhat-developable land is cheap. Heck they could sell Wake County 30 acres, which is big enough for a middle or elementary (that's bigger than my elementary school, and the size of the nearest middle school).

Wake County bought some land last year in FV on the cheap - $2.9MM for 62 acres that are a bit oddly shaped. There's an odder-shaped 41 acre piece south of Hilltop-Needmore.

there's more than $1.5MM of value just in the 15.5 acre piece that made up the 8th and 9th hole. More than 1.5MM in the old 10th & 11th holes. When you get about 400 yards from H-N Rd on the west side of the parcel, it drops significantly and is largely flood-plain, which is fine for a nature park.
Sure seems like there's an education/developer/greenspace solution in there!

I wonder if anybody will be willing to compromise...

Old 01-07-2019, 11:07 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,719,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I assume Greg Ford knows he has the votes
Dunno. He's following through on a campaign commitment.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 AM

28 posts, read 20,634 times
Guess Parks and open space have become a pawn for local politicians with their hand in the till.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:56 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,719,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lido77 View Post
Guess Parks and open space have become a pawn for local politicians with their hand in the till.
And what proof do you have that any of the commissioners has put money in his/her wallet from people who have something to gain from the outcome? Too cynical. I've lived here for 32 years and I don't know of anyone who got rich from serving on the Wake County Commission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary